Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelo_s

ultrasonic humidifier

angelo_s
18 years ago

My brother just gave me an air-o-swiss ultrasonic humidifier he had no use for it anymore. so I bought a rubber adaptor nozzole and attached it to some tubing I had and placed it in my terrarium.

I know that it cost over $100 but it produces the fog effect so much better than the exo terra and the python foggers and those foggers are so delicate they were always breaking I had about 5 of them and they all broke so fast even after I bought new membranes for them.

My brother had the humidifier for a few month now and so far it works fine even though it comes with a deminiralizer I still would use distilled water in it

I also bought a digital timer so it dosent run all day

I also knnow they sell less expensive humidifiers that cost about $30-$40

besides increasing the humidity what benifits do they have for plants and animals?

Comments (6)

• sahoyaref
    18 years ago

Well, increasing the humidity is probably the only benefit, but it's a huge one, especially when you're dealing with tropical plants and animals, whose very survival may depend on high enough humidity levels. However, you should find out if this is a warm mist or a cool mist humidifier. The cool mist models become excellent breeding grounds for bacteria very quickly, and must be cleaned regularly. And yes, this is true even if you are using UV sterilized water. They can be very bad for your health and your animal's health, so make sure you clean it weekly at a minimum if it's a cool mist one. Warm mist still needs to be cleaned once in a while, but not anywhere near as often as cool mist ones.

• angelo_s
    Original Author
    18 years ago

its a cool and a warm mist humidifier and it has silver ionic technology that prevents the growth of bactiria what ever that means I already have a misting system so what do you thing is better warm or cool mist?

• nathanhurst
    18 years ago

I would be wary of something that was designed to kill bacteria chemically - there is a good chance it will be harmful to the plants as well (if not directly, then by killing helpful bacteria)

• sahoyaref
    18 years ago

Warm mist is better by far. And whatever this 'silver ionic technology' does, you'll still need to clean it regularly. I'd phone the company and ask for an explanation, just so you know it won't harm your plants or animals.

• homer_zn5
    18 years ago

The ultrasonic humidifier is what you want for terrarium use. The silver ionic system shouldn't hurt your animals or plants, but only prevents a buildup of anaerobic bacteria in the reservoir. Colloidal and ionic silver is an old remedy for a variety of systemic bacterial infections, and is toxic only in heavy doses. I doubt you'll see those types of doses in the humidifier. Good luck!

• noob_master_flex
    18 years ago

the silver ionic thing is probably a small negative ion/ ozone generator ozone is what they use in some water treatment plants. as long as it doesn't make high amounts of it it will be fine and i doubt it will make super high amounts of ozone

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County