Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexis_gw

Need advice on which plants would like high humidity in a tank

alexis
18 years ago

I have a problem keeping plants in my frog's tank because of the high humidity. Does anyone know which plants dart frogs like that can deal with high humidity without having problems without the leaves turning to mush? I've tried bromeliads but the leaves just keep dying one by one. My frittonia plants and ferns in the tank are doing okay.

Comments (4)

• garyfla_gw
    18 years ago

Hi
    What type of substrate are you using?? I've found Florida much too humid so i eliminated it and grow either hydroponic or epiphyticly.
    Glue the Broms to a piece of wood with no media also keep them above the bottom media. Do you have air circulation.??
    This hellps a lot!!
    here's a list that will grow no matter what but someday you'll probably curse me for suggesting them . THEY GROW lol
    Spathaphyllum
    Creeping ficus.
    wandering jew
    Fittonia
    Purple ruffles and dragons blood
    Aluminum plant
    Many types of aquarium plants with stems
    especially Java moss and ferns.
    Several gesneriads Episcia in particular.
    Dracena sold as "lucky bamboo" several other members of the family except for dragon trees.
    Live shagnum if you can find it.
    Almost all the Philodendron family
    gary

• risingpower1
    18 years ago

I'd also say orchids if there's good air movement.

RP1

• sahoyaref
    18 years ago

I mostly agree with gary's list, except for the aluminium plant. Mine always rotted. If even your broms are rotting though, I'd install a fan to get some air movement, or just use a screen top on your tank, since Florida is always so nice and humid naturally.

• alexis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have a mix of half peat moss/half cypress mulch for the bottom layer of the tank and half peat moss/half coconut orchid mix for the top layer of the tank. I also added some medium sized alifor pellets in the top layer of the tank for some air flow. I also have a screen top on the tank. The high humidity is probably from the fact that I also have three water filled fish tanks in the room (though they ae just 1 one gallon tank and two 3/4 gallon tanks) which makes the humidity around 75 to 80 percent last time I measured the humidity in the room. I do leave the window open several hours a day to get some air flow and lower the humidity but it doesn't seem to work very well. I do have a silver philodendrum, 3 fittonia plants (I misspelled the spelling of them on my first post), and creeping ficus in tank. I also have some moss in the tank. Also, does anyone know if corsican mint is okay to put in a tank with frogs? I saw one in a frog tank on a website I looked at on the internet but my mother was concerned that the mint might have oils on the leaves that would irritate my frog. I might also be putting a prayer plant in the tank, too.