Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyfla_gw

Repairs

garyfla_gw
18 years ago

Hi

When I removed the 150 aquarium from the stand I noted there is a large circular crack on the backside. Since I'm going to use this as a river tank,never more than half full

I don't see it as seriuos but would like some ideas on how to proceed. Don't think I want to disassemble the tank and replace the glass as it's way too much work and expensive.

I'm more concerned with the strength of the tank than leaks as it will be outside but would like it to hold at least 15 inches of water.

Any ideas?? gary

Comments (8)

• deadhamster
    18 years ago

Well half full would be 75 gallons of water, which weighs in at 625 pounds. Is the crack above the water line? If so, it may hold. Otherwise the crack may grow depending on how much pressure is on it. Only one way to find out. Put on some hip waders and grab a hose :)

-DH

• iliketerrariums
    18 years ago

Hey Gary, =)I would patch it, get two pieces of glass that will cover the circle shaped crack completely and glue one on the inside and one on the outside with silicone, you can use a large clamp and two 2x4's, cut the 2x's the lenth of the patch, when your ready to glue them in place you place one 2x on the outside patch and one 2x on the inside patch, then place the clamp on the 2x's and close it slowly till the patches are being held in place, let dry, if the crack starts and ends at a seem, you might not have to worry about it growing, since its round and not jagged, most cracks start to grow at the corners of jagged cracks, I think its worth a try as the patch will make the glass a little stronger around that area and it will definitly prevent a leak, not that your worried about a leak, being that the tank will be outside but hey, better that it doesnt, you know? =) Then you can go ahead and fill it and see what happens! just remember to stand back a ways, just in case. =) a little tidal wave filled with needle like glass doesnt sound like fun! be carefull! =)

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi
    Guess I should have described the crack better lol
    It is an arc shape 5 feet long raising about 15 inches from the bottom. intersects with one side glass.
    I priced a replacement glass ,150 bucks and I can buy a new tank for 300 lol,
    I had it two-thirds full of water when cleaning it and it lost about an inch of water overnight. Wasn't about to spend all that time cleaning to have it shatter.lol..
    I think what I'm going to do is use some fiberglass sheathing over the whole surface on the outside only, held
    up by a backing on the stand. This should hold it rigid and some silicone on the inside should keep it from leaking.
    The crack is clean and has not shifted so I think it'll work. Should be able to do this for under 40 bucks so worth a shot. If it doesn't I'll just use it dry.
    gary

• iliketerrariums
    18 years ago

Just wondering how it all went!? did it hold? or........

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi
    Haven't had a chance to find out yet. Waiting for Wilma to pass by lol I have the wall repaired and built a new stand as well as dug the area out and put in a layer of lava stone. Seems to be draining very well.
    On the tank I used some vinyl pegboard accross the entire
    back glued directly to the glass. along with some vinyl board glued from the upper to lower frame. Put a fiberglass sheet on the back on the inside. Also built the stand to support the back glass. Probably more thasn needed but I wanted the best shot. Still run less than 30 bucks.
    When the weather finally allows me to put it in position
    I'm going yo fill it and let it set for a week or so to see what happens. I would prefer to have it full of water as a river tank but if it leaks I'll switch to terrarium.
    Gary

• iliketerrariums
    18 years ago

Hope Wilma passes you by without any troubles =) HEY PEOPLE!HOW ARE YA! thought maybe every one was sleeping! LOL! (just a joke, I hope no one minds!)

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi
    Tank seems to be okay but small shadehouse went down along with two fences Both are on top of small garden pool.
    Knew I should have pruned that Bougainvillea lol. House and Aviary had no damage and power came back yesterday afternoon. Paludarium was dark for 3 days but it recovered last year from 16 after Jeanne Guess I won'r be able to work on new setup until I get the garden straightened out. Yhink I'll rebuild the shadehouse but going to remove the bougainvilles for sure
    gary

• iliketerrariums
    18 years ago

It seems you got through it all with just some minor damage, thats great! glad to here theres no damage to the old homestead! =) let me know when you get the tank up and running, hopefully well see some pics (after the yard work ) good luck. =)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH