Hi Ilike,

Pretty cool!!!

Larry

• paul_
    17 years ago

Looks good!

• alexis
    17 years ago

It looks very nice. Those striped plants are Hawthornia succulents, aren't they? I think the earth stars are very pretty. I have one in my frog's tank and she loves to sleep under the leaves. That was a neat idea using the driftwood to mount the bromeliads. I can't keep a single bromeliad alive in any of my frog's tanks so if anyone can keep them alive, I congratulate their efforts. A frog would love a tank like that, in my opinion.

• alexis
    17 years ago

It looks very nice. Those striped plants are Hawthornia succulents, aren't they? I think the earth stars are very pretty. I have one in my frog's tank and she loves to sleep under the leaves. That was a neat idea using the driftwood to mount the bromeliads. I can't keep a single bromeliad alive in any of my frog's tanks so if anyone can keep them alive, I congratulate their efforts. A frog would love a tank like that, in my opinion.

• RutabagaRachel
    17 years ago

I'm new to the terrariums forum but am the new owner of some hermit crabs so I thought I'd take a look. My question is- how do you keep your tank so humid and warm? That's my biggest struggle living in Montana (even inside!). I have a hygrometer in my tank and readings are all over the place (depending on time of day and temperature). I spray my tank regularly but what's the best way to keep it consistent?

• iliketerrariums
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It all depends on the set up, Im going to guess you have a tropical set up as Hermit crabs come from a tropical climate, they would need warm tropical temps, Id say 80 to 90 degrees, sandy soil, more sand than soil, and plants that can handle that type set up, Ive seen them living on the beaches of Puerto Rico, they dont seem to like the water to much but can take a little wave once in a while, they prefere to stay dry though, they like to hide under the downed leaves of tropical plants and such too, oops! of track! LOL! Do you have an all glass set up? what type of hood do you have? all screen? all glass? please fill us in as much as possible then we'll help you out the best we can =)

• iliketerrariums
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Forgot to mention, start your own seperate post on this subject and youll get a lot more people to read it =)

• RutabagaRachel
    17 years ago

Oh yes, my hermies love to hide under everything. I've had them for a few months now in a 10 gallon all glass tank with a plastic hood with 2- 25 watt bulbs. When it gets cold, I have one of those desk halogen lamps I turn on to heat the place up. Their ideal temps are 75-80 degrees. They like it humid- 70-80%. Right now, I have a sponge in their water bowl and some clippings from a spider plant (in a jar filled with water) keeping the humidity at around 70%. I try to mist it once/day.

They love a variety of substrates and prefer it about 3-4 inches deep so they can bury themselves. Right now, I have calci-sand, gravel and forest bedding as my substrates. I have a few fake plants and other decorations for them to play with along with the spider plant clippings

Your terrarium above looks like it would be perfect for my hermies! Do you clean it regularly? Ever get bugs/bacteria/etc.?

I'll post some pictures of my current setup soon. But, keep in mind I am very willing to change everything around. Hermies love to have different arrangements and things to climb on. Also, I heard it does not matter what kind of plants you put in with them b/c they stay away from the ones that are poisonous to them.

• iliketerrariums
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Your tank sounds great,I never had problems with bugs or bacteria in this set up, its only been around for a month or so and I find that I never have to clean a set up that is only home to plants, just picking up some dead leaves from time to time, its the simplest one Ive ever done not to mention the quickest, as for the hermit crabs staying away from poisonous plants, well thats true to an extent, they know what plants are poisonous in the place where they came from, but they dont know every poisonous plant in the world, its like you knowing that you can climb a tree and eat an apple, but get stranded on an island and eat an unkown fruit? you might end up dead! I know they live happily on most beaches in Puerto Rico, although Ive never seen them eat? it must be some type of small crustacean as Ive seen there trails early in the morn all over the beach, they are cool little critters and Im now thinking of buying one or two for my next tank!My set up is a little to complicated to explain but if you go down and do a search on your question you will find the answer in the form of old post, you may even find the one where I describe mine in detail =)