Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rodzuf

Finally started

rodzuf
19 years ago

Ok guys im so pumped I finally got to go to HD and buy the supplies to make my new terr. I will post pics as soon as possible of the construction. The demensions are 2ft deep by 4ft tall by 2.5 feet wide. Im really debating weather or not to put in a false bottom or just do like the guy at poisen-frog.com did and make a pvc drainage system. So far I have the sides and back together and im working on the floor frame. It is huge omg i didnt releaze how big this was untill I actually built it.

Comments (13)

• gawdly
    19 years ago

Wow, happy for ya Rod!

I just ordered my CFLs from that website, and I can't wait until they show up! Then I'll need to hang my hood and hopefully there will be more than adequate light for my plants.

Good luck.

Sam

• rodzuf
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sam Im sure you will have plenty light!

• gawdly
    19 years ago

I'm sure I will. Did you order them yet? I purchased 2 of the 85W units, and can't wait for their arrival.

Sam

• rodzuf
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Not yet Sam I still have to buy paint and such first this is probally going to take me a couple months to finish as I want to do it right.

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Cool! That's really exciting! And yes, that is huge! =) You will be amazed at how much substrate you need to buy, and how much peat you need for covering the walls (if you do that). I really would make a false bottom. If you want a waterfall it is really a neccessity. The poison-frogs guy has kind of a modified false bottom. It seems that it could be easily clogged over time as well, since the peat bricks are just placed right on top of the intake pipes. It's kind of a bog area rather than a pond, so it's like a false bottom with something in it.

And absolutely take your time! It's good that you're willing to be so patient. You definitely do want to do it right the first time, and we're so excited to see pics! That will be the first giant terrarium that we've seen on the forum! (The rest of us just talk about it). =) I bet you'll have loads of fun.

• rodzuf
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ok I just bought some paint off of budget Bob! I hope I still have time to paint this thing. Also Guys I found the most awesome log structure basically is an old tree stump that I know is over 15 years old. (oak I think as most of the trees in my area are) But basically its looks like 100 years old its verigate (sp?) and looks great It took me 2 days to dig deep enough to get it out of the ground.

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Wow! Have fun sterilizing that thing! =) You'll need a whole bathtub full of boiling water or bleach water. Like I said in another post, bleach water will bleach it, but it does look cool like that. Stumps are sweet though. All those awesome roots!

• rodzuf
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I see no reason to sterilize it, it is on my property 64 aceres that I know have never had pestisides (sp?) or any chemical sprayed on it.. I will probally give it a hotwater soak to kill any bugs and such.

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

I was talking about the bugs and their eggs, not pesticides. The eggs of many bugs are very hard to kill by just a hot water soak. If you want any animals in your tank then you probably want to make SURE the wood is clean. Parasites could be a serious problem in an enclosed space. You just never know. I would soak it in very hot water and then boil several large pots of water and pour them over it for a few minutes (if you don't want to use bleach). Hmmmmm. . . you could probably also soak it in soapy water to kill all the bugs. Then your wood wouldn't bleach, but you would have to soak it in several batches of fresh water to get all the soap out!

• rodzuf
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Good point sahoyaref I think soaking in a large tub of boiling water woudl probally solve this problem.

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

You need to boil things for at least 5 minutes to kill bacteria and stuff. 15 minutes is much better.

• gawdly
    19 years ago

Rod- The lights are incredibly bright. They're perfect!

Sam

• rodzuf
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Awesome Sam I still might go with them. I have a question guys im doing a similar drain setup as poisen-frog.com. What do you think if the drain is 3.5 inches from the bootom and the glass is 5 inches from the bottom does leave enough room to effectively drain or should i go 5.5 inches ?

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor