Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amsten09

terarium out of old wardrobe?

amsten09
9 years ago

Hello all,
I normally post on the cactus forum but came over here for a few questions. I recently rescued a Chinese water dragon from the neighbor kid who was going to release it into the wild(fall is beginning here in Indiana) come to find out that these guys get huge. Three to four feet i have been told.
I really want to build an enclosure out of this wardrobe online. IF i lined the bottom with something waterproofing could it it be turned into a tropical terrarium?
I figured if i have to have sun bulbs and heat light that it could be worth a try. A nice addition to my living room.
Also if you have any advice to offer it would be greatly appreciated

Comment (1)

• paul_
    9 years ago

CWD do indeed get big ... and they are generally quite active lizards from what I have been told.

The answer to your Q is "maybe". Depends on just what the dimensions of the wardrobe is and how large the lizard is. If the lizard is large and the wardrobe is not, then you may need to upgrade later.

However, assuming the wardrobe you are looking at is big enough -- whether only for the current time or for the long haul -- the answer is "yes". Here are some suggestions:

1) Check out any thriftstores like GoodWill or Salvation Army for a wardrobe closet. You may luck out and find one there very inexpensively.

2) Put some ventilation holes both near the top and bottom of the enclosure. CWDs want high humidity but you will still want some air movement.

3) Use fake plants and vines to provide the lizard with "cover". Animals get stressed out very easily when they feel exposed. Maintaining living plants in an enclosure is very difficult. In addition, plastic/silk plants are easy to clean and will better be able to survive the abuse the lizard will subject them to. Again, check out thrift stores for cheap fake shrubbery. (Might also check out any local "dollar" stores.)

4) Provide a large water area but make it one you can easily clean. Something removable would be best.

5) ALL wooden areas inside the enclosure (floor, walls, and ceiling) will need to be sealed against water. The high humidity you will need to maintain can lead to molds and rot the wood. You will need to do some checking to determine which ones will be safe to use. I think many hobbyists use marine grade silicon sealants. Needless to say, the sealant must be left to fully cure and all vapors to have ceased before the lizard can be put in there (leave the enclosure open the entire time). Check YouTube ... I think I saw some videos there that could be useful.

6) If you are feeling "crafty", you can also check out YouTube for ideas on making your own faux rock background, vines, logs, etc.

7) You might want to look into a misting system. While it would be another added expense, it would make it easier to maintain desired humidity levels with less effort in the long run.

8) You will need a UV bulb as well as lighting bulbs. Cfl's could work well. MAKE SURE that you have some sort of screening in place around/over the bulb so the lizard cannot come in direct contact with it. Herps cannot feel pain due to heat like that from a bulb. Owners who have not taken precautions have had their charges die from 3rd degree burns as a result of lying with their bodies directly touching light bulbs or heat lamps.

My fingers are tired. heh. Say that's enough for now.

Btw, I hope you smacked that young idiot upside the head ... hard!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County