Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffrey_schneider

Ferns Turn Brown and Die!

Jeffrey Schneider
14 years ago

Hello!

I have a number of different ferns in one terrarium. Most are browning and dying. From my research, I have read that the main reasons for the browning are:

1. the soil being too dry

and

2. low humidity

Below are the conditions in my terrarium:

I leave the top of the terrarium open a bit. There is a mist on the sides of the glass.

The terrarium in under an eastern facing window and does not receive direct sunlight.

The ferns are in a mix of potting soil, charcoal, and chopped sphagnum moss.

I think I will gradually adding more and more water.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jeff

Comments (5)

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    First you have to say what kind of ferns lol. Do you have a hydometer? In a terrarium being overly humid is more of a problem usually.. If water is condensing on the glass I'd bet on that . What temps do you maintain ??
    Though most ferns like lower light levels it can be too low depending on the species of course.
    need more info to venture a guess gary

• Jeffrey Schneider
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I know... BAD TERRARIUM ENTHUSIAST!!! Should ALWAYS save the tags/names.

No hydometer, but that's a great idea, considering I have so many terrariums... Thank you!

I have maidenhair ferns, rabbit's foot ferns, creeping fig, and your typical ferns (don't know the names). I bought them in the flower district here in NYC. The ferns I find all around our upstate weekend home seem to do well under any conditions.

I've been keeping the lid off of the terrarium and there is no condensation, so hopefully, this will do the trick... if not, I suppose I'll have to pay attention to which varieties do well and remove the varieties that are dying.

They're getting plenty of light as they are under an east facing window that gets full sun. 75-76 degrees temperature.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Yours truly,
    Jeff

• taz6122
    14 years ago

I'm with Gary. Low humidity and terrarium doesn't belong in the same sentence. I can't get below 55% with the top off but the average is 50% here in AR. I would think too wet before too dry.

• Jeffrey Schneider
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's been a while since my original post and all of the ferns are thriving.

I am leaving the top (tapers to 4") open... terrarium is 15" w x 16" h. A misting once a day is making all species happy, healthy and fronds are popping up everywhere!

Thanks for the help everyone!

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    Now you'll end up with my problem?? I recently coverted a 150 aquarium to a terrarium because I couldn't think of anything else to do with it. I figured it was going to be too hot wet and humid. of 25 species not one has failed in fact you can't see into the box!!. Now ferns of several species are popping up in every crevice. I can see already this is going to be a lot more maintenence than I want to do. for the opposites reasons I figures on lol.
    Oh well what else can you do with a 2 x6 foot glass box that leaks?? Wifes only suggestion was "coffin" since I can lay down in it. So far I think "terrarium" is better ??? gary