Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matt_nb

Annoyance with mold in terrarium...

Matt_NB
19 years ago

I seem to have a problem with mold in my terrarium. It appears as a stringy, white, spider web type of fungus, and I CANNOT get rid of it.

I have a large bog terrarium, with about 90% of the lid covered with glass. I thought initially that the square holes in the lid would allow for adequate air circulation. Within two weeks the mold began to grow. At that time I rigged up a trusty old CPU fan in one of the holes, with an adapter, then hooking the system up to a digital timer which turns on the fan for two minutes every two hours. (I know this is completely dumping the air because the sides of the glass, which are normally fogged up with condensation, clear to almost crystal clear). Then the cycle begins again.

The plants inside do not seem to be bothered by the mold at all. Everything is reproducing and doing well.

Also, if it might be useful information, I have a terrarium heater that sticks to the glass underneath (15 Watts) which holds the temperature during the summer season at a constant 80 degrees. My lighting system are Hagen's Life Glow bulbs set on a different timer to simulate summer and winter.

I'd be extremely greatful if someone could help me to pinpoint why exactly the mold persists on infesting my terrarium. I spray the ground surface in the terrarium once a day with about a half of a liter of rainwater (I only use rainwater). All my plants are carnivorous plants, growing in live sphagnum moss, and the mold seems to love that. Oh, one more thing...I live in a basement apartment. Could the coolness and dampness of the air down here play a role in this? Even though inside the terrarium is warm?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm