Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dzongos

New Terrarium Questions

dzongos
16 years ago

I want to begin by saying hi to everyone. What a great forum. I am glad I found this place.

I have a couple of questions.

I have always loved plants and always had a fascination with venus fly traps. I was looking for one forever... I finally found one at wal-mart. Most of them were dead, but this one was half decent. So I bought it. When I got home I began searching the internet trying to find out how to take care of them. I started reading about terrariums and thought it would be really neat to get a small aquarium and start my own.

I started reading about all the different ways of creating one. I went to the local pet store and bought a 10 gallon aquarium with a light and cut me a piece of plexy glass to put on top. Once I did this I read to put rocks or terra-lite at the bottom. I put rocks to begin with for my current venus fly traps so they wouldnt die. I put about 1 inch of rocks and about 3 inches of dirt. The dirt is peat moss and perlite. I ordered a hygrometer and a thermometer along with some terra-lite and a package of 4 different plants. Once I got them in I changed the rocks out with the terra-lite and only put about 1 inch of dirt. Also in between the dirt and the terra-lite I have a screen I cutout to fit inside the aquarium.

From reading each plant requires its own types of dirt. I have 3 venus fly traps, a pitcher plant and a sundew. I have them all in there right now.

My questions are..

With the light on about 16 hours a day I see 90+% humidity and it stays at about 76 degrees. Is this okay for these plants?

The walls of the tank stay covered with a film of water from the moisture, should it be sealed completely or should it have a place to breathe?

Most of the sites I see telling you how to build one say the light should be 5-7 inches from the plants, should I build the dirt up so they are 5-7 inches from the light? Right now they are about 10 inches from the light, maybe more.

I just really want a small one for now to learn and make sure I dont kill the plants. I do eventually want a 100 gallon+ tank with alot more things in it, but I guess you have to start small.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)