Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help removing mineral stains

Posted by iliketerrariums (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 05 at 23:02

Does anyone know how I can remove mineral stains from the inside glass of a viv without hurting the plants and critters? I know that dismantling the viv will be the best way, but the plants and critters are doing so well and Im afraid that dismantling and rebuilding wont do them good, the only thing that REALLY matters to me is that the plants and inhabitants are healthy, but my wife gave me a hint today that the glass looks "bad", this happened when I first built the viv, thinking that I wasnt going to add critters I used faucet water instead of RO and paid the price, so I drained the water and use RO but the stains still remain, now I know that RO is the best for both plants and critters, any help will be appreciated! Thanks in advance =)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help removing mineral stains

Hi
IME the carbonates will disolve in the RO water given enough time.Rubbing it will also hasten the disolving.
Check your water hardness and see if the pH is high enough to cause precipatation. any thing above 7.
Change the water as it disolves and replace with RO water.
gary

o

I use white wine vinegar myself. It will remove absolutely any deposit from glass. I've never used it on an amphibian tank that had animals in it at the time, so you might want to ask someone who knows more about them if it is safe. But I use it on my cage any time it needs it. Just put a bit on a soft cloth and wipe the surface of the glass. I usually go back over it after that with a dry cloth to remove anything that is left.

-DH

o

Cool, Thankk you both for the advice =)

o

Vinegar will do the trick. It's non-toxic, so it shouldn't hurt the animals, but it is still an acid, so just to be safe, use only a very little bit, and clean it off with an RO water rinse afterwards. Lemon juice would also work in the same way.

o

I work at a zoo and we use slightly diluted white vinegar to remove the calcium stains from our dart frog tank. We spray the dilute vinegar on a paper towel and then simply rub the glass to get the stains off. Follow up with a dry paper towel to remove any residue. For particularly heavy stains which we get from daily spraying in some off exhibit enclosures we use a razor blade to scrape the residue off and then follow up with the usual dilute vinegar and dry paper towel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here