Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jordan_and_slippy

How to 'water-proof' my own cut wood?

jordan_and_slippy
19 years ago

A little bit o' backlog: I live in Southern Oregon, where Cyprus is not something I can find locally. Darn. And though the local pet store does have some good quality pieces (even though they're marked "Malaysian Wood", but obviously cyprus...guess it sounds more exotic) an average size piece is $40 and up! I don't want to spend that kind of money on my vivarium (two Whites in a half & half setup). But being in rural Oregon, I have plenty of Madrone, Oak, Pine (but not likely, it is very splintery) and Manzinita/Buckbrush to choose from, also some grapevine, and cut my own pieces. The only problem is that these woods quickly gain fungal growth and rot, even the pieces of old driftwood I find on the rivers and creeks, especially the madrone, which is a bummer because it has very nice texture and shapes. So, save for coating an entire branch in silicone gel ($$$ and it wouldn't look that good, I think), what can I do to try and make a branch not so much water-proff, but resistent to moisture and fungul growths? I thought about applying one of those sprays you can use on shoes and such, but then thought against it as something like that doesn't seem to good in a tank where a frog might get some of it on itself...frog can't absorb water, frog can't live. So, anyone out there have any ideas, other than using rocks for waterfeatures and saving the wood for the less wet parts? Granted, anytime you have two frogs in a tank, things WILL get wet...

Comments (5)

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Oak is actually a very good wood, and recommended for terrariums. Grape wood rots quickly, pine is so-so, and I have heard of Manainita wood, but can't remember if it's good or bad. I think the Black Jungle website talks about several different woods, so you could check there. I know what you mean about the pet store wood prices! I found that I had to shop around, and I did find one pet store that sold 'mopani' wood very cheaply (in comparison to all the other stores), so I bought some there. Need to get some more soon. . . I wouldn't use any kind of sealer though. You never know what kind of chemicals may leach out and harm your frogs. And I've had my terr. set up for 3/4 of a year, and no signs of rot yet. Before that, those same pieces of wood were fully submerged in my husband's former discus tank. So they have definitely been wet! I'd go with the oak though.

• genomik
    19 years ago

I have aquariums as well, and I'm curious what allows some woods to not rot underwater while others rot quickly. Is it density? Ph of Wood? minerals in wood? Some chemical treatment (I doubt there is a magic one).

How about others like:
    Ironwood? IT looks beautiful.
    Fruit wood like apricot or peach?
    Citrus?
    Manzanita - I think this is pretty good.

My aquarium shop guys soaks some wood underwater to make it sink.He has some really wicked looking wood that looks like grapewood, but is ok under water, beautiful knarled wood, I am trying it with my vivarium, ok so far. Not sure what it is, my aquarium good is sorta mysterious about, probably cause he knows he has some good stuff.

MAYBE soaking it causes it to get so full of water

MAYBE it should be soaked in a weak bleach solution to disinfect the wood or for it to react in some way.

Formaldeyhyde is used because it chemically cross links organic molecules so there is no food for bacteria left in it. I would not recomend it as it is toxic, but maybe there is a similar process that can be used. Bleach will dilute out after soaking with more water.

I will try to ask my fish store guy more about this.

• genomik
    19 years ago

couple of links

http://www.atchison.com/ArticlesandStories/wood.htm
    (Not sure i agree with every detail, but pretty good still.

http://wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/rkwduseaq.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: article on wood etc

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

genomik: that wood in the aquarium store is most likely mopani wood. It has that smooth surface and gnarled, twisted look. I believe that it is actually the roots of cyprus trees, because the two types of wood pieces are often found thrown together in aquarium stores. I think that density has a lot to do with rot, as well as natural chemicals in the woods. Like cedar, for instance. I think that all fruit woods generally rot quickly. Read it somewhere on the net once, I think. . .

• nathanhurst
    19 years ago

I don't believe that dry heating wood to 200F is going to be very effective in sterilising wood. Humans can take a dry heat to 200F quite happily, and tough little bacterial spores often survive 200C dry heat. You really need steam to sterilise. Heat and pressure.

If you want to sterilise something, just use a pressure cooker. Everything else is just playing :)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH