Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watercycle model for education use

Posted by dbzeiger (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 07 at 11:17

I'm building a 29 gallon terrarium to be used as a model of the water cycle. It has a heated pool area and a sloped lid, cooled to encourage condensation and allow rain to fall over the land side. Everything works great, except the front glass is getting too foggy. Has anyone ever tried any of the anti-fog coatings sold for scuba masks? Does anyone know if they'd be safe to use around plants. At the moment I'm not planning on adding animals so plant toxicity is my biggest concern. The company that makes them claims they're non-toxic and biodegradable, but so far they won't tell me how quickly they break down. Any advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watercycle model for education use

Bye.

o

You could test toxicity on a small, unneeded/unwanted plant in a different container. If you don't have any of those, you could probably sprout a few beans or peas.
-Jmcat

o

Hello dbzeiger. I was just wondering if you ended up using the anti-fog product on your watercycle model and how it went? I had the same idea and am about to apply to an apothecary jar with ferns and mosses - it would be great to hear your experience before I take the plunge! I also wondered if the anti-fog would interrupt the self-watering cycle??

o

Rain x

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here