Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erinyes_gw

Suggstions/Equipment for 5.5 Gallon

Erinyes
19 years ago

I'm in the process of setting up my first terrarium with a used 5.5 gallon tank. I will be buying a cover and light, but just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions as to equipment/plants.

I tried to select some familiar (most of the following plants I'v grown with little trouble) and appealing plants. So far I've selected an ivy, maidenhair fern, miniature african violet, and a miniature orchid.

I hear people suggest using fans and just wanted to know if one would be realistic with such a small tank. I would also like a more broad-leaved plant, so if anyone has one that would work I would love to hear.

Comments (9)

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Interesting screen name. . . =) I took a course in Classical Mythology in University so that I would have a 'well rounded education', and it's really quite interesting! If your name is actually 'Erin'-'yes', then ignore everything I just wrote. Anyways. . . make sure you get a light hood with fluorescents. Incandescents are no good at all for growing plants. And if you want to grow and bloom orchids, you will need several fluo's, not just one. Try to get the T5's, they're awesome! Amazing light output for such a tiny bulb! Your plant choices are pretty good, though the maidenhair fern will probably outgrow the tank in a year, the mini AV may stop flowering and not start again (as has been the experience of two people on this forum who have tried AVs in terrs, myself included), and the ivy will need aggressive trimming back once in a while. Try some selaginella for a mossy-looking plant (it's not a true moss, common name club moss). Other good choices are fittonia (will also need regular trimming back), aluminium plant, polka dot plant, mini broms/tillandsias, and more mini orchids, especially the very tiny ones. Do you have experience growing orchids? You will probably not need a fan, because even a very small fan would be too much for such a small tank, drying it out quickly, and you want to keep that humidity up! Make sure you get a glass or plexi cover, not a screen one that the pet stores try to convince you are good for terrariums. . . what a load of cr@p. . . anyways. . . any more q's, feel free to ask! And thank you for such a good post with all of the relevant info! So nice to have specific questions to answer. =) did you, by any chance, read the old posts on this forum before posting? =)

• Erinyes
    Original Author
    19 years ago

No, it is from from greek/roman mythology. They just fascinated me and it was one of my more creative sceen name choices. You caught me, I consider myself chastined and promise to read old posts from here on.

I have had experience with growing orchids, it was't successful, but certainly a learning experience. I had a suggestion at the orchid forum to use a aquarium air pump hooked up to airline tubing, since the pump would be inside the terrarium it would the recirculate moist air. It sounds like it should work well, considering I shield the pump while I mist.

And thanks for the plant suggestions!

• mrbreeze
    19 years ago

Welcome to this forum. Don't mind Sa...she finds a reason to chastise EVERYONE!

I'm not sure i understand the airstone/tubing concept completely but I have major doubts that it will move enough air to be useful. Maybe just from the end of the tubing but not from an airstone. The major purpose of the fan idea is to have ...moving...moist air as opposed to stagnant. The main reason this is bad is potential for fungus and rot and its primarily an issue w/ orchids and not so much many of the multitudes of other good plants for terrs. And for a tank that small i think Sa's response on the orchid forum is probably correct...that just leaving the lid a bit ajar will give decent enough air. BUT...you might lose all your humidity.

One of the main problems with smaller terrs is that they are succeptible to quick and wild fluxuations in temperature and humidity. Larger sizes give a buffer.

Despite all the doom and gloom there are certainly some good orchid choices out there that could deal with whatever the conditions. I think it would be easier to just skip the fan completely and just use plants that can deal w/ the environment.

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Oh, thanks a lot, Mr. B! =P I really thought that she had read the old posts because her questions were so specific! Re-reading my post, i see how you got the opposite impression. =)

I agree to skip the fan. It's hardly neccessary for such a small tank, which should remain a simple set-up. You just don't have a lot of room for equippment, and it would detract from the appearance if it was too big and obvious. I would stick with the hardier orchids, one's labelled as 'easy'. Harella odorata definitely fits that bill, and many people on the orchids forum have been very pleased with it. Don't you have one, Mr. B?

• mrbreeze
    19 years ago

Yes I do have one and it almost bloomed but then the bud fell off. Now its trying to form three new ones so maybe this time I'll see the flower. It likes to grow pretty wet. That's actually one reason why I don't really grow orchids in terraria...cuz of the hassle of taking the lid off to water them. A smaller one would be less of a hassle, or one that opens from the front rather then the top. My grow area acts like a semi-terraria I suppose.

• Erinyes
    Original Author
    19 years ago

A pump probably wouldn't move much air, but placed right under the plant it should provide enough. The downside of placing the pump in a separate humid container is the pump sucking all the air out and burning out it's motor. What temperature does the Harella require, by the way?

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Most orchids are grown at average room temps. Some can tolerate much cooler, and some warmer, but don't worry about temps. too much unless you are growing pleuros and masdies. If you're worried about heat put out by the lights, don't be. Fluo's really have a rather low heat output. It will probably be slightly above room temp in your tank, but if you crack the lid, the heat will never build up to bad levels because it will be able to escape. And ignore Mr. B. =) You don't really have to 'water' orchids (or the other plants) in your terrarium, because they will stay evenly moist, which is what makes it so perfect (for those orchids that like to stay evenly moist. Some need to dry between waterings). Everything will be sufficiently watered by the daily mistings.

• mrbreeze
    19 years ago

assuming you DO daily mistings...

I don't. Not only is it a hassle to move the light fixtures off the top and move the top itself...but I'm lazy. My tank often goes weeks on end w/out getting watered or misted...which is why the orchids are somewhere else! :)

When I feel really sorry for them I will sometimes raise the lid just enough to get the end of the mister in but it doesn't do a good job.

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Aha, so you are lazy! I suspected as much from the beginning. . . =P =)

I don't like misitng my terr. daily either, but I do it because otherwise my orchids would die, and they are rather well-rooted to their mounts, so I can't move them! That is why I have installed an automatic misting system. =) Which is still not operational, BTW, because we still can't afford a stronger pump. . . but a misting system for a 5 gal terr would be overkill!