Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheap Office Terrarium! (my first)

Posted by smord (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 24, 08 at 13:08

Hi! I'm new to this forum and I just wanted to post about my new office terrarium i'm so proud of! :)

I just used a large plastic jar that used to have pretzels from Costco in it, put a layer of paper clips on the bottom for drainage, a layer of paper towels from the bathroom to hold the soil, a layer of potting soil from home, and two plants that were cuttings I took from the median on Broadway (I work in NYC)! They rooted nicely and it's doing great! Although I overwatered it at first, so I've had to leave the lid off.

Talk about cheap and easy. :)

I think I've identified one of the plants as a "Purple Heart" Wandering Jew (unfortunately it's losing it's purple color under my florescent desk lamp - I think it needs full sun to maintain color), and the other is a nice coleus.

I'll have to keep trimming them, though, they're fast growers!

-Sarah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheap Office Terrarium! (my first)

LOL yes they can indeed be cheap and easy to make!

One word of caution though, Susan -- as a drainage layer, the paperclips may be a problem. If they are your standard paperclips, then they will rust over time. As they break down they will cease to serve a drainage function. More importantly, however, be CAREFUL if you do any digging in your terr or later replace the xoil. I'd hate to hear that you got tetnus (?sp) from getting stabbed by a rusty paperclip!

You can also keep an eye open for a little fake frog, turtle, lizard, etc to add to your terr if you want some "wild life" in your terr. :)

o
RE: Cheap Office Terrarium! (my first)

I got a kick out of this message. What a resourceful gal you are Sarah! I too made my first terrarium though not quite as industrial as yours! Just a little moss and rocks and soil. I would love to see a photo of your wonderful terr!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here