Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to Buy Miniature Oak Leaf Ficus (Ficus Pumila Quercifolia)?

Posted by nyccoconut 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 17, 11 at 16:53

Hello!

I've purchased Ficus Pumila Quercifolia (see link for reference below) from the following resources online:
Violet Barn, Black Jungle, Karutz Greenhouses, Accents for Home & Garden, and Glasshouse Works.

It's rather expensive for the small (2" - 3") pots in which it is sold. I'd like use it as a ground cover for my terrarium.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for online vendors that sell this ficus for a better price?

Thanks!
Jeff

Here is a link that might be useful: Ficus Pumila Quercifolia Image

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to Buy Miniature Oak Leaf Ficus (Ficus Pumila Quercifol

Yo Jeff!

While I can't swear to it as it's been a while since I paid attention, I believe I have seen them now and then at Lowes. I'd suggest checking on Exotic Angel's website (since they are usually the ones supplying Lowes) and see if they have it. If they do, then you might be able to buy from them (I don't know if they do retail or only whole sale) or see if the Lowes by you will order one in.

o

Thank you!!!!

o

I got some from dallas bonsai. It was very woody stems. I proceeded to quickly kill it.
I don't know why i can't grow pumilla either- it's pretty though

o

Thanks! I've had great success with ficus pumila quercifolia in terrariums. It does very well in a well light, humid environment.

o

The trick to growing this little rascal is keep it under glass until established. It needs to be in a sealed terrarium, no open top until established. It likes bright light, too. Direct morning sun will make it very happy. I hope that helps!
=)

o

Here are some vendors. I have purchased from all of these nurseries and they are reputable.

http://www.logees.com/miniature-oakleaf-fig-ficus-pumila-quercifolia.html

https://www.violetbarn.com/shop/index.php?_a=product&product_id=457&PHPSESSID=f765f77e949cd1b5b62de042f8258060

http://www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.com/Ficus-pumila-var-quercifolia--Oak-Leaf-Creeping-Fig_p_731.html

o

Thanks! I didn't know Logee's sold it!! Good price.

o

If you buy one, you must keep it in a closed terrarium until it gets established. I lost the first one I bought by putting it in this same terrarium, but did not cover it. Second one went in the same place, but with a cover of Saran Wrap. As soon as new growth started to show, I started peeling back the cover a little each week. It will grow nicely under office lighting uncovered, but will grow SUPER FAST if you keep it covered and give it a little full sun each day. It is absolutely the cutest tiny ivy ever!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here