Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tv0571

Orchids & frogs - how to combine?

tv0571
17 years ago

I spent all of last year building my "ultimate" wardian case. I rigged a laptop PC to monitor air & water temperature, and then trip relays to heat & cool water which is circulated through a lava rock fountain, which runs through the case and out a drain to the pump. The case enclosure is 4'x2'x3.5'. Fans provide intermittent ventilation, a mister runs intermittently, and flourescent lights provide enough light to supplement the sunlight so that my cattlyeas are happy. The average temperature is probably about the same as my house, but the heating / cooling drives a 12-15 diurnal. Humidity is 50-80%. The plants grow really well :)

I'd love to chat about the house... but my real question is about fire bellied toads. My little girls saw them in a pet store, and I'm wondering how they'd do. From what I've read on this forum, they'd love the environment... but I'm not sure how to handle their food. If I used crickets, I'm afraid they'd destroy the plants. Are there 'predator' insects I could use for the frogs? Are others mixing orchids and frogs?

Thanks!

Barron

Comments (2)