Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imap8ntr

Terrarium African Viotets.

imap8ntr
18 years ago

I have a 20gal terrarium with 60% humidity, 70w of cp lighting( about 200+ equiv. incandescent watts) and 85 degree temp. I cant get my AV to bloom. The look great except that the leaves dont lie down in rosettes but grow upward with cupping at 45 degrees. I dont know if this is because of not enough light?? or that the roots arent confined??"

Does anyone know of a secret of growing flowering AV in a terrarium??

Thanks

Ivan

Comments (11)

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

well, i know that they like acidic soil...maybe some fertilizer?

• imap8ntr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was thinking about fertilizer but I dont want to be hasty. I have been told to almost never fertilize a terrarium, except maybe yearly. When I set it up 6 weeks ago, I did soak the substrate in a dilute fertilizer solution to get it started. That should certainly last a long time.

Today I tried trimming off some of the leaves of the AV since they have grown considerably during the past month. I also had to remove some early suckers. We shall see.

Maybe things just grow slower in a terrarium and I am not patient enough. I have heard that people get their AV to flower in a few weeks?? I will wait.

Ivan

• lucy
    18 years ago

They probably want more light... try a windowsill :-).

• imap8ntr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The Terrarium gets 16 hours daily of artificial light being two cf of 23watts each( 100watt equivalents) plus a 20 watt tube flourescent. I would think this is enough?
    Ivan

• brian_kc0kfg
    18 years ago

Ivan, what color/type of bulbs are you using? For lots of green cool/blue seem to work well, for blooms warm/red seems to the ticket.
    Now im talking color hot heat. take a look at the growing under bulbs section for more ideas.

just my .02 cents

Brian kc0kfg

• imap8ntr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have a 5000K tube flourescent and a 23W and 43W cp of the warm type. Lots of green growth. My chirita is blooming.
    Ivan

• komi
    18 years ago

not sure how to convert the lighting, but my AVs bloom when placed about 18" under 4 T8 tubes, or 12" under 4 T12 tubes. Chiritas prefer to be off to the side, getting significantly less light.

AVs generally need to be pot-bound to bloom well, so direct planting in a terrarium is not recommended - you might want to try putting it in a pot and burying the pot in the bottom of the terr. Also, some disruption to the roots can help initiate blooming (e.g., rapping the pot - not kidding).

45 degree leaves are usually a sign of not enough light. Small tight centers are a sign of too much light or a pest.

hope that helps a bit - good luck.

• imap8ntr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Now my AV and Chirita have decided to send up stalks with nice juicy blooms on them. I actually did nothing for the past two months, just waited. NO Fertilizer, temp about 80 and hum at 60%. I do trim the suckers off frequently which may be the secret. I get new suckers every few days.

I was even able to get a leaf planting inside the terrarium to form babies in one month.

Patients may be the answer and doing good clean up on the terrarium floor and plants. I mist almost daily.

Ivan

• nathanhurst
    18 years ago

I think being pot bound is probably more important. I've used the pot in the ground technique for my AVs and they flower almost constantly. I suspect that variation in light and temperature are important too.

• imap8ntr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nathanhurst;
    Thanks for you input. Who knows which factor is most important?

My AV and Chiritas are now blooming like crazy being planted in the classic way in a 20gal terrarium. It seems now that everything is in bloom the suckering process has slowed down. Nothing is "potbound" since it is planted in the ground. One way to accomplish this in a classic terrarium is to take a knife and circumscribe a circle around the AV to cut down many of its roots. I have not had to choose this option.

I know all other growing conditions are very good since all my propogating leaves each have many plantlets coming up withing 4-6 weeks. They were started in pure vermiculite inside the terrarium.

As an aside, I have a small standard AV in a 6 inch self watering pot and it is starting to bloom. I am sure potbound is one more factor like all the rest, but each factor alone is not manditory.

Thanks
    Ivan

• korina
    18 years ago

Hi.

Too much light and too much heat. AVs like to be in the low to mid 70's. Light should be bright indirect; 10"-14" from a 4' shop light (beats me what the wattage is; sorry). It's raising it's leaves in an attempt to protect itself from burning.

Fert. should be balanced, constant, and weak; every time you water.

As for pots, they should be 1/3 the diameter of the plant.

Korina, sneaking over from the AV forum

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH