Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rodzuf

orchid question

rodzuf
19 years ago

I recently picked up a large orchid from Home depot. It already has a spike on it but it looks as though it mayhave already bloomed should I cut this off now since it already bloomed?

Comments (6)

• gawdly
    19 years ago

Well, did it or did it not bloom yet? If yes, what kind of orchid is it? Phals and paphs can continue to bloom if the spike is left. Oncidiums will not, so I generally wait until the end of blooming and then I hack it off, but if you are unconvinced, you can let it brown up and then cut it off.

Sam

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Paphs do NOT rebloom from the same spike after the spike is cut. A new growth must mature first. But don't worry about that, first you need to figure out what kind of orchid it is. If it has finished blooming, I hope you got a discount. Can you post a pic? If not, go to the link below. There is all kinds of info. on orchids and growing them there, and it is all written in a manner easy to understand. As for your spike, are there any buds on it? Or does it look like just a stick with some places where it looks like flowers used to be attached? BTW, any further questions should be posted on the orchids forum, after you read the FAQ, that is! =) People there are much more knowledgable.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Orchid Lady

• gawdly
    19 years ago

sahoyaref- Obviously if you cut the spike it won't continue to bloom...

I was trying to be clear without being complicated and explaining "sequential blooming" orchids like paphs. To someone who doesn't know much about orchids, it might seem like it was reblooming if 3 weeks after the last bloom a new bud popped up...

Sam

• rodzuf
    Original Author
    19 years ago

It is a phal No discount because it budded it was only 19.99. I dont know if that cheap but thats what I payed for it. It looks like it alreeayd bloomed so I guess I need to cut the spike.

• cajunbird
    19 years ago

Phal spikes will branch below the lowest, oldest bloom and bloom again.
    They will also continue to bud and bloom from the tip.
    It just takes time.

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

You paid an average price. Pretty standard. I would just cut the spike. Phals will *sometimes* re-spike if you cut it to the first node, but this can tire the plant unneccessarily. I would just put it in the best light you have, like right in a west or south window. Next year it will spike again, and then you will get to enjoy the blooms for about three months! You should visit the orchid's forum and do a search on Phalaneopsis for lots of other culture tips.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz