Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sahoyaref

Does anything dissolve silicone?

sahoyaref
19 years ago

We have an unused 20 gallon tank sitting around that I would love to turn into another terrarium =) but it was formerly a sump for my husband's reef tank, and as a result it has some pieces of glass siliconed directly to the sides of the aquarium. As in, they are flat against the glass. No way of getting a razor in there to just scrape them off. So either the tank is garbage/recycling, or we fix it and I use it. But we need something that can dissolve silicone to do it, and preferably something very cheap, cheaper than buying a new 20 gallon tank. My first thought is vinegar, because silicone smells like vinegar as it is curing, so I would assume that it is actually acetic acid (vinegar) that keeps the silicone 'liquid' until the acid evaporates and it cures. If vinegar works, we would just fill the tank with vinegar and water, let it soak at least overnight, and then just remove the glass pieces easily. I think 10 gallons of vinegar and 10 gallons of water would do it, so that's pretty cheap. But I don't want to buy all that vinegar and then find out that it doesn't work! So, does anyone know for sure? Or does anyone know of anything else that would work that is just as cheap or cheaper?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996