Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Hard Soil' Mix for Cacti & Succulents

Posted by nyccoconut 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 22, 09 at 13:34

Hello!

I recently purchased a cactus dish garden from 1800 flowers to use the different cacti and succulents to plant.

They were growing in a "hard soil" as described on the website: http://ww12.1800flowers.com/product.do?baseCode=1828&dataset=10293&cm_cid=d10293

It was similar to a very, very hard clay and I had to break it off of the plants very carefully.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I've searched for soil mixes on the web and only find your typical potting soils.

Thought this hard mix would be ideal for creating a terrarium with a sand bottom, pouring in the mix, planting, letting it harden, then adding a thin layer of sand. So, the cacti would look like they are planted in actual sand.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Hard Soil' Mix for Cacti & Succulents

Personally, sounds like a recipe for disaster. Growing cacti in terrs is often challenging. Give them the light they require and they cook as the terr overheats. Overwater them just once in a terr and that could very well be the end of them. Clay would not be the media of choice, in my opinion. It does not allow for water drainage. Perhaps others either here or on the cacti forum would have some advice.

Good luck and happy growing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here