Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdfortin_gw

How to mount a fan inside the vivarium?

Cdfortin
18 years ago

SIMPLE version of the question:

How do you safely put a fan inside of a vivarium?

DETAILED version of the question:

As some of you know, I recently finished building a 400 gallon vivarium. In the past, I've always has smaller cages and I never really saw the need for and internal fan. Now, I'm getting into some pretty serious plants and I want to mount a fan inside the vivarium for increased air circulation.

At first, the idea seemed simple to me, but now I realize that there are many complications associated with putting an entire fan inside a vivarium.

First and foremost, I don't want to chop up my tree frogs and crickets. So, I can't really use a computer fan since most have no protective grate. I tried outfitting a computer fan with screening but the airflow was virtually diminished.

Also as important, I don't want to create an electrical hazard. The cage has an automatic misting system with 8 misting nozzels, so needless to say, ever part of the cage gets pretty wet at some time or another. The fan would be positioned so that it wouldnÂt get soaked, but it would definitely get pretty damp. At the least, I think I need a grounded or moisture proof fan.

Finally, in the event that I do find a fan that is either moisture proof or has a protective grate, it is always too large. At most, the fan can have a 6" diameter.

So, my question is, can ya'll think of anything that would work? What do you use in your vivs? Any ideas, tips, links, or photos would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Danny

Comments (6)