Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
primitive_dave

Source for large-scale terrarium cases in L.A.

Primitive_Dave
19 years ago

I live in Los Angeles, and I would like to put together a terrarium similar to the ones on the following website: http://www.frogworld.nl/dutchvivariums.html. I'm thinking somewhere in the range of 4-5 feet tall, 3-4 feet wide and 1.5-2 feet deep. (It would be for the purpose of growing plants; I wouldn't be keeping reptiles or amphibians.) Does anyone know a good source for large-scale, front-opening glass or acrylic cases in town? I have looked at several pet stores, and selection seems limited and very expensive. I also was looking in the Yellow Pages for acrylic fabricators who might make custom ones, but couldn't find anyone specifically listing aquariums/terrariums as a specialty. I live in Eagle Rock, and since I couldn't fit a case that size in my Saturn Coupe, I'd probably need to deal with someone who'd deliver here. If any of my homeboys or homegirls have discovered a great supplier, I'd appreciate if they could let me in on it! Thanks!

Comments (8)

• Primitive_Dave
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The other option I forgot to mention was if anyone could point me to good plans for building a case like this myself. I'm not a much of a handyman, but I can follow step-by-step directions if they have a cutting list and don't use too many big words. I have been putting a lot of thought into building a case, but it would have to open in the front and that has me stumped. Thanks again!

• nathanhurst
    19 years ago

You might be able to buy a secondhand commercial display fridge fairly cheaply, especially if the refrigerator bit is dead. If the whole thing still works you could even try growing alpine or cloud forest plants.

• garyfla_gw
    19 years ago

Hi
    I plan on setting up one of similar dimensions to yours.
    Have had no luck finding finding ones already built that are not outrageously priced either. If you don't intend to have large water features they should be faily simple to make. You can find bargain material at used furniture stores or salvage dealers. Thought of using china or curio cabinets for a base but most are too narrow or would require too much modification to be worthwhile. I think the best solution is to make your own to your own design. You could use plywood for non-viewing walls and the base. All the box stores will cut it to your dims so it;d be just a
    matter of assembly.
    To me, one of the most confusing issues is light , Naturally the deeper it is the more powerful they would have to be. Been trying to use the Dutch vivariums as models but can't understand the light setups. There is such a vast array of light fixtures available it would be possible to have almost anything.
    Have you made any decisions on this??
    Everything else about the setups would be rather straight forward IMO. Since they don't have to hold the great weight of aquariums you could use many different materials with lots of doors for access.
    Good luck with your search and keep us informed on how you're going about it.
    gary

• Primitive_Dave
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the quick response guys! It sounds like you're both confirming what I had feared -- I'll have to take matters into my own (not so handy) hands.

It had crossed my mind to look for a commercial fridge -- part of why I want to make this case is to grow Masdevallias and Draculas (they just disintegrate here in L.A's dry heat). I'll try looking one up. I've also thought about building one myself, but my handicap on both alternatives is that I'm somewhat do-it-yourself challenged.

I'd be afraid to renovate the fridge (I don't want my own ozone layer hole named after me!) and I can't for the life of me figure out what to do with a 4x5 foot piece of plexi or glass that has to open so I can get at the insides of the box. I've looked a a couple of aquarium/terrarium websites that describe the process of building wood/acrylic cases. However, I'd really be more comfortable finding some good plans that describe how to make a sliding or hinged front panel, and how to measure whatever materials you need. Again, not having much experience beyond changing the odd washer or connecting a wire here and there, I'd be afraid I'd spend a couple hundred bucks on materials and then find everything was 3/16 of an inch off.

Thanks again for your help, and be assured I am not yet ready to admit defeat on this!

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Check out the site below. Go to the How-to pages/movies link at the side of the page, and from there, go to Aquarium construction. It gives detailed instructions for building an aquarium or terrarium with plywood sides and glass front, though I suppose you could do all glass or acrylic if you wanted. There is also a dimentions calculator, where it will tell you exactly what size to cut your pieces of wood and glass (get the glass cut somewhere else, much easier and safer) for any size of tank. You enter the size you want your tank to be. Don't give up already! Terrariums are wonderful! Also check out www.poison-frogs.com for instructions on the full set-up of a large terrarium, including lighting, plants, etc. If you are really hesitant to DIY, try to find a small, family-owned fish store that lets you custom-order tanks. My husband works for one here. Generally the big stores like Big Al's or Petsmart won't do that, nor do they carry tanks that big, or of those dimensions. You need to find a personally owned one. Just check your phonebook.

Here is a link that might be useful: GARF

• homer_zn5
    19 years ago

Yes, getting a terrarium built to the specifications you are describing would be some major $$$. I think the plywood tank idea with two hinged wooden frames with glass inside is the way to go. Even then, you will want to be sure you waterproof the inside so that the wood does not rot, and you will still be spending $300 on materials.

Don't use plexi, as the humidity in the terrarium will make it warp. Glass is a better and cheaper alternative.

Homer

• Primitive_Dave
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the links Sahoyaref -- I haven't had a chance to explore them fully yet, but I think I might get some good ideas. I've been thinking about this for a long time, so it will happen eventually; sometimes it takes me a while to work up to taking the first step though...

Homer -- thanks for the tip about the plexi -- I'll keep that in mind. I figured that if I made it myself, I'd still be out at least a couple hundred bucks for materials. I just can't see paying a thousand or two for what basically amounts to a big plastic box, though!

Thanks for the continuing help everyone!

• dragonthoughts
    19 years ago

ummm, I looked through those vivariums and the only one that I saw that said what it was made of was plywood, not acrylic. Even making your own out of acrylic will be very expensive.
    sahoyaref's link is a good one, here's another.

Here is a link that might be useful: step by step vivarium

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource