Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What? My cork is sprouting!

Posted by neon8l (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 28, 08 at 18:15

I set up a terrarium, waterfall, cork background for tillandsia, etc and now that everything is all moist, The cork background that I bought at the pet shop is now sprouting long grass-like plants. I noticed when I installed the cork that it had a few fuzzy seed-like spikey pod-things tightly stuck in the crevices. They were hard to remove without damaging the cork so I left them there. I hate to pull and toss them without knowing what they are... It's the color and texture of the "pet grass" they sell at pet shops but longer and of course only 2-4 strands per sprout.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What? My cork is sprouting!

Seeds could have been wild or spilled from something else in shipping. Probably weeds, but I've gotten some pretty cool plants from hitchhiking seeds/spores before. Diastema racemiferum, Anthurium scandens (I think), several ferns, Chlorophytum amaniense, and some other things I can't think of right now.

o
RE: What? My cork is sprouting!

hmm...this is a little off topic but Heres a plant that popped up LITTERALY out of nowhere in the aquatic section of my lizard terrarium: I think it is a bladderwort or waterwheel plant, as whatever it is it has small traps.It also has small, feathery leaves. I guess I will have to wait until it flowers to see what it is.
P.S. Dont ask me to include a picture as the leaves and traps are so small on the photo that the plant looks like a green line!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here