Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freakzilla_gw

vines

freakzilla
20 years ago

I was looking for a viney plant to cover up the back wall of my terreium. I was leaning toward ivy even though I know it has a tendency to take over. I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas. My plan was to use ivy and leave it in the pot (so it would be easyier to get rid of) and just keep on top of pruneing it back .

Comments (17)

• dianamay
    20 years ago

It's creeping fig (ficus pumila) that will take over. Ivy will sprawl.
    Diana

• dianamay
    20 years ago

I was looking at Logee's Greenhouse catalog today and they have a tiny ficus pumila minima for sale that should be great in a terrarium.
    Diana

Here is a link that might be useful: Logee's Greenhouse

• cajunbird
    20 years ago

I was at Home Depot today and bought 2 small pots of the ficus pumila minima for my terrarium, they were less than 4 dollars a pot. You might want to check your HD.
    Anna

• garyfla_gw
    20 years ago

Hi
    I wold tend to agree with the Ficus except for the fact that it grows too well lol. It will adhere to everything and eventually take over. It does have small leaves and stays in scale.
    Two that i might reccomend are Cissus amazonica and Gynura species,"purple passion" vine.Both require constant pruning but it's much easier to do.The leaves will remain under two inches.
    I like to glue pieces of tree fern fiber to the wall and grow epiphytes in it surrrounded with mosses and liverworts.
    I've found vines to be too much hassle in the long term.
    Gary

• dianamay
    20 years ago

Was it actually the minima in Home Depot? I have seen ficus pumila there, but minima is a new one on me.
    Diana

• jordan_and_slippy
    19 years ago

What's a good vine that can handle the "abuse" of two White's tree frogs?

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

I'd say ficus pumila. Wandering jew's stems snap too easily. English ivy would also be a good choice. Anything with flexible but strong stems.

• nathanhurst
    19 years ago

English Ivy (Hedera is poisonous to quite a few creatures (rabbits, humans, frogs?).

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/plant05.htm

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Frogs don't really eat foliage though, so would that really be a problem?

• dragonthoughts
    19 years ago

Could be a problem. frog eats cricket that ate the ivy.

• ladybug_guam
    19 years ago

I have the Ficus quercifolia, very small leaves and does really good. Need to prune, but is easy.
    Ana :)

• bihai
    19 years ago

I am getting ready to do the same thing.
    I am going to use the dwarf climbing monstera (I know its a different species but I can't think of it now, I think its cultivated under the cultivar name "Ginny". Also the little creeping silver splotshed vine that some people call Philo "Silver" though it too is a different species, not a philo...

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

I know what you mean, Satin Pothos, right? Isn't the dwarf monstera still kind of big? I love it, but i don't know if I'd put it in a terrarium. Where did you buy yours, BTW? I can't seem to find it here.

• larry_b
    19 years ago

Hi sahoyaref,

A Satin Pothos is a scindapsus pictus argyraeus. "Ginny" is a Epipremnum. I agree, "Ginny" would be a little large for a terrarium.

Larry

• larry_b
    19 years ago

Hello all,

I found a picture of both a satin pothos and ginny.

Larry

Here is a link that might be useful: Satin pothos and Ginny

• bihai
    19 years ago

Ginny may get too big, probably will if the one in my greenhouse is any indication, but if it does I may let it grow out the top of the terrarium and train it around the window frame. Plan to do the same with a variegated vanilla vine. Yes SATIN POTHOS that's it. I had really great success with it in my greenhouse, I mounted it with a pad of sphagnum moss on some driftwood as an experiment (no soil) and it has grown to a length of over 6 ft and hangs down, one tendril turned into several, it looks great.

I bought my Ginny at Tropiflora in Sarasota at their spring sale last year. It was a small plant about a foot long, now its about 18 ft long. It climbs up a grapevine in my greenhouse. It has aeriel roots that are several feet long, but this is under optimum conditions...temps never under 60 at night, rain from a sprinkler every day, very high humidity.

• mdahms1979
    19 years ago

If you attach the vines of Scindapsus pictus argyraeus to a support they will produce leaves that hug the support like shingles, a really beautiful plant.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH