Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conecollector_gw

bearded dragon

conecollector
16 years ago

I have a bearded dragon and he seems to be board of his home is there any kind of plant i can plant in his terraium to liven things up; i always thought of them as a desert animal and havent really had any ideas as to what kind of plant would stay ture to environment and wouldent harm him like a cactus might.

Comments (8)

• cactus_lord
    16 years ago

You could try a few spineless Euphorbia, such as Euphorbia Obesa or Euphorbia Meloformis.

• conecollector
    Original Author
    16 years ago

do you think shell try to eat it? I know euphorbias have erritants in thier sap

• mdahms1979
    16 years ago

I have to agree that Euphorbias are too toxic to be used with a lizard that could ingest them. Bearded Dragons are restless lizards and all you can do is give them lots of room and some good sturdy rocks and low branches to climb on. If you want to try plants why not try a clump of the smaller ornamental grass species, keep it in it's own pot so that the roots do not desiccate in the dry environment.

Try the Kingsnake.com board for lots of reptile info.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    16 years ago

If I were you I'd get some cheap wheat grass and toss it in and see what happens.

• graceful1
    15 years ago

When I fiddled with my beardie's bulbs, it perked right up probably because of calcium deficiency. I adjusted the diet too. But if you re-buy the bulbs Id get Zilla's desert 50 bulbs.

• paul_
    15 years ago

You might also try adding or moving items in the viv, giving him "new" places to explore

• sugarush
    15 years ago

I love beardies! Have you tried adding branches and new things for him to climb on? When they don't have a lot of these "obstacles" they can get bored. As for lighting, it does depend if your beardie is sluggish, or just bored. Its hard to tell between the two. If he's sluggish it might be calcium problems and I actually have r-zilla desert tubes as well which are pretty nice. And as I said, if he's just bored, then adding logs and fun things like that for him to play with should do the trick.

• tropichris
    15 years ago

Plants may not be the best idea. Many desert plants are very poisounus, and bearded dragons are omnivores,so they will eat any plant in the enviornment. However, there is one safe plant. Wheat grass is a good choice but keep it in it's pot like Mike said.

~Chris

P.S. NO fireflies for any lizard; I had a bearded dragon and fed him a couple and the next morning he was dead. Not a good experience!