Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aes123_gw

Exo-terra?

aes123
17 years ago

I was browsing the web for ideas for a medium-sized orchidarium, whether DIY or pre-built, and I came across the exo-terra line of terrariums. Does anyone here have any experience with them? Do the front doors hold in humidity well? What kind of lighting solution would be appropriate? I'm specifically considering thier taller models, 18x18x24 and 24x18x24. If these are as well constructed as they appear to be, it's a great inexpensive starting point for me...

Comments (9)

• iliketerrariums
    17 years ago

Ive actually been thinking about buying the same one, its a very nice well built terrarium, Ive seen them set up in many differant ways and they were all very good looking, and yes, it is very well built,I dont know how well they hold in humidity but they must do as well as most of our homebuilt set ups as the only differance I see as compared to most of ours are the hinged doors which really come in handy when feeding your critters or just general cleaning inside of the tank, or in your case caring for the orchids, you might have to place a glass or plext on top as they have a screen cover, to help keep in the moisture, but thats trail and error as you go, what the heck! Im going to run after the holidays and pic one up! Its only $100.00 for the one you mentioned, Ive spent more than that setting up one of my home-made tanks! all I ave to do to that one is add the plants! Im going all plants no critters (terrarium?) this time =)

• iliketerrariums
    17 years ago

PT-2612 is the model I think you and I are looking at, its about $99.00 at your local Petsmart. =) Let me know how it works out =)

• aes123
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the tip. That's significantly cheaper than any of the prices I've found online. I may get one sooner than I thought. ;)

• Temane
    17 years ago

I have 3 Exo Terra's of different sizes for my Orchidariums. They work very very well. The only modification I made to my largest one (18X18X24) is to cut a piece of plexi to cover one side of the mesh on the top to provide more humidity. I like the front vents as they pull in fresher air without needing a fan for the unit and help it circulate.

I have various types of orchids in them from cool Masd. in the smallest one to mini Phals and Arengis in the largest. I will be pulling the largest one apart and spraying in the foam for a more sculpted back ground and waterfall. They work really well for a false bottom set up BTW.

I got the 2" pre cut sections of plumers plastic pipe and cut down some egg crate. put a layer of river rock for aquaria around the outer edge of the bottom and set the rest up.

Tem

• aes123
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I went to my local Petsmart; I think yours must be having a sale. The 18x18x24 model was $119, and they didn't have the 24x18x24 version.

I'll keep looking, though.

• iliketerrariums
    17 years ago

No,no sale,been the same price since they first started stocking them,The 18x18x24 model is $99.00,and they never carried the 24x18x24 version either,what area of the country you from? I know that places like Florida and Cali always have higher prices than here in Pennsylvania.

• iliketerrariums
    17 years ago

Update, Petco, not Petsmart, sorry =)

• jlogan2664
    17 years ago

I have the 18" x 18" x 18" version with a cattleya orchid, a phalaenopsis orchid, and a shamrock in it. They are all in pots and I have a flouresent grow light (the kind for aquariums) on top of it. I should cover part of the screen to help hold in the humidity but the plants seem to do okay. I really like it as it is very well made and the front doors give easy access to the inside. I have never seen the 24" x 18" x 24" version. I got mine from Drs. Foster and Smith foir $79 but with shipping and handling it ended up being comparable to buying it at Petsmart.

• aes123
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've been looking around locally, and I haven't found the big version in any nearby stores. The nearest one is in Dayton, OH, which may work out, since I'll be in Cinci for the holidays.

Since I'm gonna place the terrarium in my living room, I'll probably end up building a custom lighting solution so that the exterior looks more polished. I've sent a message to the company for thier maximum wieght recommendations, but I probably won't finalize my design until I have the terrarium here, so that I can make sure my measurements are exact. If I end up going that route, I'll take careful notes as I proceed, and publish them online, in case others like the finished product.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor