Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice for desert terrarium lighting requirements

Posted by proper_gait 8b (propergait@hotmail.com) on
Wed, Dec 7, 11 at 9:41

I am interested in creating a desert terrarium for copiapoa species cactus.I am wondering what an adequate light system would be to prevent etoliation. How many lights might I need? Should I use a fan to keep the heat down? I have been a succulent collector for many years. Is this a bad/good idea? I find it gets too humid in my area for many cactus species and was hoping to create an indoor garden for some of my favorites that have posed problems for me outdoors. Any links or ideas appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice for desert terrarium lighting requirements

Looks like one shouldn't do it. But I would love to know if somebody has proven this article wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Not build a cactus terrarium

o
RE: Need advice for desert terrarium lighting requirements

Unfortunately, it really isn't a very good idea ... or it might be better to say a really DIFFICULT idea to make work. Quite a bummer too, IMO. However, by all means, feel free to experiment. I honestly would love to see someone do this successfully (long term) in some type of simple/easy fashion.

The issue you mentioned with regards to it being too humid outside in your area is one of the biggest problems by far in a terr. setting. By their nature of being enclosed, humidity tends to accumulate or remain at higher levels than outside the tank.

Lighting is the other "gi-normous" problem. Providing the necessary light intensity often results in overheated plants and basically "cooks" them. If you do try this and have some of the really strong light lovers (definitely not something I would recommend, but ....), then plan on some 200W equivalent cfls. This would be your best bet for higher light intensity with less heat. Otherwise, if you try this out, go with any succulents you have that don't require super strong light.

If you try a desert terr, plan on using a fan or two to prevent the air from becoming stagnant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here