Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for miniature versions of terrarium plants

Posted by guitartists (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 12:43

I recently started making and keeping terrariums. I was talking with a gentleman the other day who used to keep terrariums back in the 70's and he was telling me about the miniature versions of plants like Aluminum, Baby Tears, etc that have the smallest leaves and growth habits. Couldn't find anything on ebay :( Looking to buy or trade for starts of these tiny varieties.... ANY tiny miniature version that can be used in terrariums. Thought maybe some enthusiasts here might have some or know where I might find them. :) Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for miniature versions of terrarium plants

Truthfully, finding true minis can be a challenge ... but then that also depends on just how "mini" one considers to be "mini".

So much depends upon just what your terr's dimensions are and what appeals to your sense of taste. There are some plants of various dimensions at the link I've provided at the bottom of my post -- though some are not what I would label "mini" while others definitely fit my personal def of "mini". (These are plants I sell off from time to time.)

There are mini types of broms one can find and Ficus pumila has small leaves and more of a vining habit. Also some of the Cryptanthus stay managably small. Most ferns, IME, get quite large and will try to take over the entire tank. Nephrolepis exaltata "Fluffy Ruffles"is one of the smaller ferns but it too will become a "thug".

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Some terr plants

o

o

I just started too, so also looking. I started with micro-mini sinningia, which is a great little african violet relative that stays <2", with various colored blooms. There are quite a few on eBay, and elsewhere.

--Rr in CT

o

The Violet Barn sells them. You can google it to get the exact web address.

o

Glasshouse Works has terrarium culture and all sorts of other delectables to garden with.

o

Small leafed Fittonias work VERY well in terrariums, I've used them multiple times for them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here