Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropichris

Jewel Orchid/biophytum sensitivum leaves

tropichris
15 years ago

I have a jewel orchid(ludiscia discolor) and biophytum sensitivum in a Tropical terrarium( humidity- 65-80%, temperature- 70-80oF) and gave them each a small shot of 20-15-20 liquid fertilizer. I immediatly watered them to dilute the fertilizer and now on the jewel orchid, the leaves are turning pale. I squeezed the stem to see if it was rot, and it wasnt. On the b. Sensitivum, the "fronds" are turning brown and crispy. I watered them both again and it hasnt helped. What can I do?

Ps.

I have no pictures, sorry

Comments (10)

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Maybe someone will chime in with your type of growing conditions. I grow 4 types of JO's but I grow them outdoors in the shadehouse though the macodes are in a 10 gallon aquarium.. They seem sensitive to low humidity much more so than discolor.
    Anyway , Your Humidity seems about right so what are you using as amedia?? Sounds like you have some fert burn
    if this happened suddenly?? I have never been able to use soil ,using L.F. sphagnum , though they demand high moisture they seem a bit prone to too much in regular soils.
    Run some straight rainwater through the media and allow them to dry a bit but keep that humidity up.
    Have no ex. with Biophytum but was curious where you got it?? gary

• tropichris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thnx, Gary

I got the biophytum sensitivum off of Blackjungle(the link is below if you want one). I have them both growing in a mix of: Potting soil(no fert added), coco-fiber, a very small amount of play sand for some drainage, and some LFS. The reason I have this concotion of "soils" is because I have some animals in there, too(a green anole, a gray tree frog, and a green tree frog) Yes, I have watered them down, but no results as of yet. Oh, and I checked the fertilizer again, it was actually 10-15-10, NOT 20-15-20.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blackjungle

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Wish I could be of more help. My conditions are sooo much different. Have you tried the orchid forum?? I've always found the JO's to be very finicky yet I know people who use them as garden plants lol They grow and flower for me just not well. lol I only keep one paludarium under artificial light and no orchids in there lol.
    Thanks for that link My 150 gallon aquarium has sprung a slow leak Just thinking about replacing all that sealer is making my back hurt lol Maybe a understory terrarium lol
    gary

• tropichris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gary- You are a lot of help. Y'know, Youve been using "lol" alot...are you o.k? oh well, it's good to laugh, lol.
    X-D
    Sadly, one of my fav. plants succumbed to fert. burn today...My prized myrmecodia tuberosa. I may just order another one....

P.S
    I've been laughing a lot today,too. I mean LITTERALY every 5 minutes

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Isn't it the season to be jolly?? Or does this mean I'm insane??lol I think a bit of insanity is a great benefit for growing plants??
    Think your main problem with the Ant plant and probably the others is too much moisture. Maybe light levels a bit low?? Have one in the SH grows on cork slab
    and has been there over 15 years. I'd get me some better advice before trying again. Growing in containers is sooo much different than other methods .
    BTW There are many great Vivarium sites on the web, This forum is always a bit deadLOL gary

• tropichris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yeah, gary, mine is mounted,too. I have most of my tropicals in the same terrarium. No, the light isnt too low. I have the ant plant about 1 foot from a 150 watt heat lamp.but it is on the side of the lamp so it isnt getting fried...It may be rot, but I hardly ever water it, just keeping it's roots wet. I also took the M.T. out of the terrarium and it smelled BAD! I cant explain what it smelled like, but it kinda smelled like algae and bad fish flakes mixed together...I should probably raise the heat lamp up about 1 inch off the terrarium, cause I also have a phalenopsis orchid growing in there mounted to ghost wood, and it's leaves are wilting, too. So the terrarium is probably too bright, especialy considering it's winter.

Merry EARLY Chrismas to you, gary
    o<:- really cruddy santa emoticon i made up>

• dirtmonkey
    15 years ago

Hey tropichris, the fertilizer could have killed off some roots, and if they stayed wet they'd start rotting, giving that swamp/sewage smell.

With animals in there, the orchid and Biophytum won't ever need fertilizer. The chemical ones can potentially hurt the animals, and the organic ones tend to just rot in vivariums.

I don't think I've ever fertilized a Biophytum intentionally, if they got any it was rarely and at 1/8 strength, which is the strongest I use for anything.

You might need to change the soil in that area, trim off most of the roots, and replant, making sure the spot doesn't get soggy wet again until they're growing well. The Biophytum will scatter seeds around pretty quickly if you can keep it until it has the chance to do so. It's very good at self-sowing.

Vincent

• bbb01
    15 years ago

Is there anyone out there who has had experience with biophytums other than B. sensitivum? I'm having good luck on my kitchen window (East exposure) with sensitivum, but not with B. zenkerii. I tried to increase humidity by moving it to into an aquarium fitted with a small fan with a couple hrs of late afternoon light. But no good as it continued to drop leaves. I now have it underneath fluorescent lights. We'll see how it does but I'm not optomistic. I don't think this species experiences dormancy as it is from Ecuador. I wonder if temperature was a factor as I live in the northeast (New Jersey), and I tend to keep my house slightly cooler to save energy. I'd appreciate any ideas...

• paul_
    15 years ago

May have been fert burn -- especially on the B sensitivum. As for the Ludisia, an additional possibility is that you might be giving too much light.

• dirtmonkey
    15 years ago

...Or the lights are the wrong kind... is this the same terrarium with an incandescent 150w heat lamp? Many plants won't like that much.

bbb01, I would love to try other Biophytum species, but have never found any available. I can't find much info on B. zenkeri, but if it's from the lowlands, then the heat could be a problem. B. sensitivum has been pretty hardy for me.

Vincent

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH