Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iluvbotany4life

Moss that was thriving is now dying :( :(

iluvbotany4life
14 years ago

I have some moss planted with the usual terrarium setup (rocks, charcoal, soil), in an apothecary jar that looks exactly like the first and fourth ones in this picture.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/sf/111709terrariums1.jpg

For about 2 months, the moss thrived and looked great. It was bright green and sending up these little shoots everywhere. Now the moss has suddenly decided to turn dark, and the shoots that it sent up are drooping down. The soil is super moist, I rarely have to water because the terrarium is closed, and I can see that the entire layer of soil is saturated so it's not a moisture problem. I'm thinking it might be fungus because I did have some white mold in there about a week ago but I removed it and from what I can see there is no mold growing now. I left the lid of the jar off for a day in case there was mold growing, but that didn't seem to help at all. The only other thing that I can think of is that the moss was previously getting quite a bit of sunlight, and now it isn't getting near as much since it's winter and quite cloudy here most days. But I wouldn't think moss would mind the smaller amount of sunlight. Any suggestions?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery