Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
experimenting withthe idea of a terrarium.

Posted by lorieu (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 07 at 14:01

i am moving to CO from TN and am thinking about getting a terrarium for my orchids. where can i get a good terrarium, what is the best way to plant plants in a terrarium? it looks like people are talking about using old aquariums as terrariums. how does that work? where does the drainage exit if using this? any tips on what i should do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: experimenting withthe idea of a terrarium.

There doesn't have to be drainage in an aquarium (except for pebbly substrate) as long as the humidity is high (generally from having a lot of plants inside), but in CO, it's SO dry, you might have to water a bit more often than usual, just use less water (so it doesn't pool in the bottom). But I'd also be concerned about lack of air circ. and bugs in such an environment - orchids demand lots of good ventilation. I might even call orchid societies in CO to see how they deal with the environment there - it might be better to have them out of the terr. but in an other well humidified room.

o

I had a resident for a few days who kept orchids (I'm an RA in CO) she used a humidity tray, like a tray filled with sharp cut gravel and placed the orchids on top, it seemed to work well although I've no idea what kinds she was keeping.

o

Air circulation is a must for any orchids. Think how they grow in the wild with the wind blowing on them.My orchids in the greenhouse have fans for air circulation.

o

Hi
What type of orchids do you want to grow?? That's sort of like saying you want to grow plants lol Terrests of Epis?? There are many kinds that will love a terrarium atmosphere will others will croak overnight .lol
Aquariums can and do work but they have a lot of faults again depending on what you want to grow .
There are some great sites on setups for different types of orchids. if interested. gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here