Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sahoyaref

Atlanta Botanical Gardens: You MUST Go!

sahoyaref
19 years ago

Oh wow! I am so totally blown away, I don't know where to start! I went to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens, yes, even in the winter, because it still looks pretty good then, with all the Camellias, evergreens, C & S, waterfeatures, etc., but mostly to see the conservatory, and I was not dissapointed! Seriously, if you ever have a chance, GO! And bring several rolls of film! The orchids! The carnivorous plants! The aroids! The dart frogs! It's like walking through the perfect jungle. My only regret is that I couldn't walk through more slowly, because it was busy that day! Oh yeah, also don't go when there's some tacky art exhibit going on. They're having Chihuly in the Garden right now, so there's these massive glass 'sculptures' in very bright colours everywhere, and it does detract from the beauty of the gardens, in my opinion. However, I still enjoyed myself immensely! The Fuqua conservatory is so incredibly beautiful, and orchids are on every single branch, tree trunk, and rock. They also have a cloud forest conservatory with highland neps and cool-growing orchids. Once again, go already! =) You won't regret it. It's like walking through a giant, well-established terrarium. So amazing! And it smells great. . . and you even get misted some times. =)

Comments (3)

• joshua1229
    19 years ago

I live down here in Atlanta. Been a few years since I've been gone. It's wierd to hear someone talk about something down here worth visiting. :)

• Cdfortin
    19 years ago

I live in Atlanta too! ABT is magnificent! My last visit was in Dec. 04' They have 2 or three natural vivariums with tons of dart forgs. Also, they have this enormous, several story high, contained rainforest with hundreds of species of plants. As for the indor orchid conservatory, every one of the literally thousand plants is in bloom. INDCREDIBLE!!

• john_z
    19 years ago

Hi all! I live close to ABG and have been a member for years. It does have a lot to offer us plant lovers, and I love the addition of birds into the conservatory, as well as the frogs. (There was a problem with the "poisonous dart frogs" being stolen however, but hopefully the hidden cameras will take care of this).

And speaking of frogs, last week I rescued a treefrog that I saw at a shopping mall brought up from Florida in a Guzmania bromeliad. It jumped onto my arm as I was checking out the plants close up. (How strange, being nocturnal). That poor creature was emaciated, and the mall office was kind enough to give me a large empty coffee container to take it home in, after filling the bottom with leaf debris and a bit of water. At home I put little one in an empty aquarium with Selaginnela, Hedera, etc., and dashed off to a pet store for insects. I started off making lots of mistakes, such as buy canned crickets and mealworms instead of live ones - having been given wrong advice. A day later the live crickets drown in the dechlorinated water I meant for amphibian muffin - all 24 of them. $60 later trying to keep it alive, and I haven't given up yet - the treefrog is finally eating!

After 6+ hours on the Internet, I still cannot identify this species, although it might probably be in the Hyla genus. (Livingunderworld.org/allery/anurlist.shtml is a wonderful site, but still didn't help me ID it). It did change colours depending on the environmental conditions, espcially temperature, environment, and stress no doubt.

I have 26 Phalaenopsis, Doritaenopsis, Neofinetia falcata,and other orchids going into bloom right now in my growing room. It is illuminated by mostly a special comtination of flourescent lamps with lots of violet, blue, and red wavelengths for photosynthesis. Hmmm, maybe that's a contributing factor in identifying this frog muffin.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz