Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brian_k

Dry/temperate terrarium

brian_k
18 years ago

I have a pair of leopard geckos in a 30x12x12 inch aquarium and would like to build a dry temperate terrarium. It will be an open terrarium to allow air circulation. I'd like to know what types of plants to include in the set up. The plants would need to tolerate dry conditions and low/average light levels. If I needed to use some artificial lighting, that would be fine. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comments (5)

• mdahms1979
    18 years ago

If you want live plants you need to supply them with artificial light to survive. You could try some spineless cacti species or succulent plants. I would keep them in their pots and bury the pots so that their roots do not desiccate from bring in contact with the continually dry substrate.

These geckos are from arid regions of Pakistan and Afghanistan and live in rocky areas where they hide during the day. If you are going for a natural look you could build a sturdy rock pile with lots of hiding spots making sure to secure the rocks with silicone so that they cannot fall. Small species of clumping ornamental grass would look very natural and should be easy to care for. Plants sold at nurseries should definitely be washed well and repotted in case pesticides were used.

• fluffygrue
    18 years ago

I've got a sandfish skink in a vivarium and hear leos need very similar conditions, to the extent that some people keep them together. (I'm tempted, but not convinced that Norbert would appreciate the company..)

Anyway, I was thinking about furnishing his place with some plants too. Plants on my possibles list include: Aloes, Crassula (especially Crassula 'Gollum'), and yeah, small ornamental grasses. Shouldn't need too much watering..

Melanie

• back2eight
    18 years ago

As far s recommending plants, I can't do that because I don't have enough knowledge, but lots of rocks and branches would look nice, and would give it something to climb on. I would probably not plant the plants directly in your substrate, but as was mentioned above, leave them in their pot and shove the pot down in the sand. Do you have a water feature? Some aquatic plants would be nice.

• mdahms1979
    18 years ago

Melanie some miniature or stoloniferous Aloes would look great after they formed a small group of plants. I think another nice spreading plant would be one of the birds nest Sansevierias and they are nice and tough as well.

Back2eight leopard geckos are terrestrial but that's not to say that they would not climb on low rocks or branches. They do not have adhesive pads like other geckos they have very slender toes with tiny claws. Because they are from arid areas they don't need a water feature, a small shallow dish of water is more than enough.

• dickensb
    15 years ago

how did this turn out? did you have luck with aloes and crassula? i realize it's been like over two years since this post was made but perhaps you have had ample time to build a compelling success story??

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor