Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dfourer

waterfall in terrarium

dfourer
19 years ago

Those of you with waterfalls in your terrariums, do you leave the pump on 24 hours or have a timer? Does the whole place get sopping wet from water spray? I suppose this creates air movement and water aeration and the plants really like it.

Comments (10)

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Yes, the pump is on 24 hours, and only the area close to the waterfall stays very wet. For this reason, it is important to use a very loose, well-aerated substrate (like bark chips), and to site your plants accordingly. It really depends on the waterfall and the size of the tank, but I find that my waterfall makes everything to the right of it wet all the time, and if I had plants in front of it instead of a stream then they would also be wet all the time, and also about 2" to the left of the stream stays wet. So, it is the perfect place for carnivorous and other bog plants! Also, most pumps come with a ball valve for controlling the flow, so if I just wanted a gentle trickle I could have that, and then there would be less splashing and less wet areas. Unfortunately there is no way to predict it, so you just have to make your waterfall, put it in there, turn it on, and see how it goes!

• meriflower
    19 years ago

In addition to dfourer's question...I will be setting up a terrarium and would also like to add a waterfall. I understand running a pump for waterflow but do you have to filter the water and if you don't filter do you have to change the water more frequently?

Maybe a silly question but I'm new to this!

I was originally going to set it up with plants only but am rethinking that and possibly adding fire belly toads - if that would make a difference of adding filter/water changes. Thanks!

• dfourer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

meriflower,

OK, I'm not the expert, but experience and basic science tells me a few things. Circulated water is well aerated and orgaic material, like dead leaves, will break down, also fertilizing the plants. However, I would want to keep small organizms, plants, dirt, etc. out of my pump. Pond water is naturally full of small crustaceans about the size of a period (.), not to mention snails, insect larvae too. Some kind of barier of gravel and sand could be used to filter the water going towards the pump.

What do the experts think?

-----David Fourer

• kel_bel22
    19 years ago

Im no expert, but you've got two choices - clean/change the water every few days or have nice filtered clean water... hmmmm hard choice.
    Also frogs are really sensitive to dust and grime (more than fish), they need clean water (and not water straight from the tap either - let it sit in a bucket for a day or two so the chemicals from the water treatment plant evaporate).
    Frogs can develop cloudy eyes from poor water maintenance which leads to more horrid diseases. They also go to the loo wherever they like and I wouldnt want my pump sucking it up! Ewwww!

• meriflower
    19 years ago

OK, that's what I thought - you need a filter to keep the water clean. I have had fish and I would think keeping frogs, same rule would apply - filter the water!

The reason I questioned this is because a reptile shop just has a pump for their vivarium with fire belly toads and told me I wouldn't need a filter. They told me if I set the vivarium up with a false bottom I would just need a pump to move the water. If I set the vivarium up 1 part land/1 part water I would then need a pump with a filter.

Am I missing something here?

Nancy

• kel_bel22
    19 years ago

Its probably personal taste really. Pumps with filters dont cost too much more, and that way you'll have peace of mind. Im using an internal power head which has a filter attached and its quiet. Make sure you check out how noisy your pump is before you buy it - if you go for a cheap noisy one you wont ever turn it on because it will drive you nuts!

• garyfla_gw
    19 years ago

Hi
    I use a Magnum 350 as a power source for the waterfall.
    O riginally, i was going to use just a pump as I didn't think a filter would be necessary. Boy was that wrong!! lol.
    A filter seems far more important in a paludarium than in an aquarium. Amazing how much "gunk" is removed from the water. i would highly recommend a filtration system
    gary

• jamie_mt
    19 years ago

Hi Nancy. :-)

With a false bottom, the way you set up the substrate actually acts as a "filter" for the water, because it will be moving through layers of rock and charcoal before reaching the "well" at the bottom. That's why you only need a pump - your entire tank acts as the "filter".

I have firebelly toads (they're around 3 years old or so now) - and I'm lazy, so I have large aquarium rock for a substrate, with a steep slope up from the "swimming hole" into the "land area". I have a small sponge filter in the corner of the tank that runs off an airstone, and water-loving plants planted directly into the gravel of the land area. The sponge filter provides basic water movement, but not much actual filtration, and because of the plant roots getting their "nutrition" from the water circulating through the gravel, the plants are actually my main filtration system, and I only have to top off the water, never actually change it because of that. There are actually aquarists who use plants grown hydroponically to filter their fish tanks as well, so it's a proven method, if not very popular. :-)

For a waterfall, I'd set up a false bottom, put the pump down there (so the water will be filtered through the substrate before reaching it), and then not worry about an actual aquarium filter. I'm quite sure that will work just fine for firebellied toads as well as the plants (though remember, the toads will need a swimming hole they can completely submerge and swim in).

Good luck! :-)

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

I think some frogs poop more than others, and it would also depend on how clean you want your water to look. It will naturally turn a tea colour from your dirt/bark/whatever substrate, but that's fine. And NEVER use tap water for frogs! Only RO water, distilled water, or clean rainwater (no acid rain!) are safe for frogs. You could also add some purified mineral water so that the water isn't entirely devoid of minerals. But the substrate would act as a filter. I think that water changes would be the best route. Also, if you have a pump with a pre-filter, make sure you can easily access it, because if/when that baby gets clogged, you don't want to have to tear up half your false bottom to get to it!

• viv_guy
    19 years ago

i use a timer as i think running all the time can take the humidty up too high. IMO

also, use Ro or distilled, natural spring.
    tannins are good, they are part of the nitrogen cycle, and you can always take a bit of that water and pour at the roots of your plants. helps fix the nitrogen.
    if you want to access your pump, either build a larger tank with a few holes leading to a sump tank below or build a small area in the corner to access it. false bottom builder at times hide their pump under a peice of hardscape...we're all different.
    a Palidarium is land and water...duh...LOL.
    and yeas with FBT's you will need filtration!!! they waste a lot. like turtles.

do you know anything about the nitrogen cycle? that will help.

for the false bottom you need to either build that with the platforms-egg crate at a higher level then the water or build a wall. if your soil is soggy, problems will arise.
    pvc pipe for platforms, egg crate, then nylon or fiberglass window screen, then your soil mix which should be half milled sphagunm and soil the add half again by weight, play sand. you should also create an edge between so your soil doesn't end up in the water. you can use vivarium mortar, or silicone and rocks, or what ever...play around but be sure that your platform is only half as much as the foot print of the tank. i would also barricade the under part to a degree. plant roots will grow down into the water (good thing) and that might trap a FBT.

for the wall, i'll use portland cement, or vivarium mortar depending on the size of the project. I'll also use expanded aluminum to help get the right shape, black waterfall foam sealer to help with sealing it to the glass, and getting the rock shape i'm after...

i hope this helps. you do need a filter! take the time to think out your design. and ask lot's of questions!

what are you planning for plants in the water and on the land?

8-)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio