Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
back2eight

set up question for ten gallon

back2eight
18 years ago

I am setting up a new terrarium in a ten gallon fish tank and I want to make it high on one end and slope down to about an inch of water on the other end. How do I do this? Do you put something between the water and the substrate to divide it, or do you actually have about an inch of water setting on the whole bottom of the tank, under the substrate? I will be using aquarium gravel topped with spaghnum moss, and will grow carnivorous plants, so I'm looking for tropical/high humidity. I want the simplest way to do this, not false bottoms and elaborate things. My idea is to buy a sexed pair of fart frogs to go in here after I get it set up the way I want it, and I want to let them raise their own tads, thus the water portion of the tank instead of just using a water bowl. Thanks!

Kristi

Comments (3)

• iliketerrariums
    18 years ago

Hi, I think you should make sure that your frogs are not small enough for your plants to eat! Some dart frogs are very small and most tend to be very expensize, I know I wouldnt want my new pair of PFD's to end up as food for my plants! If you use gravel on the bottom just slant it and place the moss on the high end, its really that simple, as for growing carnivorous plants....I dont know, thats nothing I know about but am about to face head on for my bog tank, there are some PDF that breed in water trapped in the base of leaves, I dont know which frogs do this but its something to be aware of, also, if you dont have a good thermometer and one of the thingys that measure the humidity get one of each, youll be lost without them, also, not trying to say that you cant, but just saying, I tried some of the "easy" care frogs and had a bit of a problem keeping them healthy, and now stick to terrariums (plants only) if you read up on the care of PDF's you will see how difficult it can be as you have to raise the frogs, thier food, and care for the viv they live in and this is a constant job that you cannot miss a single day of caring for, if you do your frogs will suffer, now a little humor! If you get poison FART frogs (as per your post) your going to have a bit of a methane problem! LOL! =) I suggest poison DART frogs! LOL! =) Good luck =)

• back2eight
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Did I say FART frogs?!?!? Oh how funny!The F and the D are right next to each other on the keyboard. At least you knew what I meant! LOL! I already have one terrarium set up with tomato frogs in it but I use a water bowl instead. None of my plants are big enough to eat the frogs, I've already researched all of that to make sure they are not going to be harmful to the frog. I just still don't understand how to do the water like I want. If there is water on the whole bottom of the tank under the substrate like that, how do you clean it?

• iliketerrariums
    18 years ago

Well a lot of people just hook up a submersible filter, I guess they have some kind of access door to clean it, I am going to hooked up a canister filter to the false bottom, Im going to connect the suction tube to a tube similiar to an undergravel filter tube and it will go directly through the substrate into the false bottom, the return tube will be used to supply water to the waterfall, it will all be hidden behind the expanding foam background. =)