Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
back2eight

Mounting Plants

back2eight
18 years ago

I know this is a dumb question, but I keep reading about mounting plants on rocks or branches in the terrarium, and I can't find how you are actually supposed to do that. I want some bromeliads and tillandsia in my terrarium and I have wood to mount it on, I just don't know how. Also some vining aroid root cuttings. I don't know what to do with those. Can somebody clear this up for me?

Comments (6)

• garyfla_gw
    18 years ago

Hi
    I've had good luck with silicone if you can keep it reasonably dry while it cures. Just put on a dab and push the plant in right above the roots. You can also tie them
    with monofiliment or cotton thread
    You can do the same with vine cuttings.i find most of the tropicals don't require media in a terrarium.
    I assume we're talking about philo,Nephritis,pothos??
    gary

• back2eight
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I was looking at tropiflora's website and they have a terrarium page, with plants listed that do good in terrariums. I just don't get how the plants are supposed to grow when their roots are stuck in glue or just hanging in the air! Some of what they offer is an unrooted cutting, and I don't know if I need to put it in a jar and let it root first or just mount it in the terrarium. I know carnivorous plants but I am totally clueless about any other types! Where can you buy silicone, and do you really stick the whole bottom of the plants, roots and all, in it? See, I told you I didn't know anything about them! I really should just stick to what I know, but I thought mixing some other plants in with my CPs would look nice.

• garyfla_gw
    18 years ago

Hi
    Epiphytic plants are types that have adapted to soiless places such as trees or rock outcroppings. Most use the roots only to attach to the holdfast. Food and water are taken in through the leaves.
    You mention Bromeliads and Tillandsias.Most are epi's but some are terrestrial, all can be grown semi terrestrial.
    Be sure to get true epi specie using the silicone method.
    i like to use black silicone, available at all box stores. Get a good grade as it's much more resisstant to water and is much more adhesive..Put a dab on your mounting location and push the plant into it.Prop it up to hold it until silicone cures,about 24 hours.Many people use "Liquid nails" but I find it much weaker and less water resistant than silicone..
    i try to locate the silicone right above the roots. This will allow the attaching root to grow normally.
    Tillandias and Brom's are some of the best choices for terrariums IMO. Just be sure to pick true epi's and ones that stay within the limits of your space.
    To me, these are the most fascinating plants and some of the most beautiful.Don't pass them up!!
    For my new setup I'm venturing into the semi epi,and semi terrests. Some of these can be really tricky to culture but isn't that the fun of Terrariums??
    What type orf aroids are you considering?? Most of the vining types can be grown in many ways.
    gary

• back2eight
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Gary! If you look at tropiflora.com look at their cargo report and find the terrarium section. These are plants that they have recommended as good for terrariums. Like I said, I realy know nothing about any of these plants, so I guess I will have to ask them for growing instructions on each plant that I buy! I don't know what kind of aroid, only that it says an unrooted cutting and calls it a vining aroid. Give me a CP any time and I can grow it, but I'm clueless about other plants! I have tomato frogs in one terrarium and I want to take my more delicate plants out of there and put them in things with more hiding places, which is what got me started looking for other types of plants. I am going to put dart frogs in my other terrarium, and since they are partly arboreal, more so than the tomatoes are anyway, I wanted some plants mounted on sticks in there for them.

• mdahms1979
    18 years ago

I would go with Gary's recommendation of using Bromeliads and Tillandsias as epiphytes in the terrarium. Other types of epiphytic plants can be more challenging and if you don't know about their care and can be difficult to keep healthy. I find most tillandsias to be quite easy but there are more difficult species as well and some appreciate drier conditions than others. Look at the beginnerÂs page at Tropiflora and choose Tillandsias from the list provided that way you know they will be easy to care for species or varieties.

The plants that are listed as being good for terrariums are not all epiphytic they simply do well in the conditions within the terrarium. The vining aroid you speak of is a plant that roots in the ground and then climbs a support while usually putting out aerial roots for support and the uptake of nutrients. The other aroids like the Alocasias that are listed are also terrestrial plants and can be left in their pots if they are buried or they can be planted into the terrarium. I think the best method for you to choose new plants is to use Google to search for information on the plants you are interested in and then eliminating the ones that do not fit into the environment. You have to consider their size, light needs, moisture needs, and their placement in the terrarium.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropiflora Bromeliads and Tillandsias

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

I just want to add that I really like Tropiflora. I've ordered from them several times and I'm always received great plants.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County