Return to the Test Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re: Kt, It's your pesty photography student...

Posted by luvtosharedivs 5a WI (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 29, 09 at 22:43

OMG!!!
It's been almost a year since we had that conversation. And it lasted five months, talking not only about photography, but guitar playing, cougars, the weather, and other odd things. I just browsed through some of it...almost like reading a short story!

I didn't want to respond to that post, since there is only roomn for a couple more responses before it flies off into cyber space, that's why I'm responding here. Sorry all my photos are missing, due to the major cleaning and re-arranging of my Photobucket folders.

Now I'm starting to feel guilty that I haven't kept up with my photography studies, and practicing landscape, sunset photos, and moonshots. I've got myself soooooo wrapped up in photographing every flowering plant in my yard, I take 60-100 pics daily, then it takes so long to download them, organize them into folders, and label them, not to mention all the cropping, and some adjustments, like contrast or auto correct, etc. These daylily seedlings that I hybridized also take a lot of my time, analyzing their bloom colors (taking pics,) height, scape branching, bud counts, and giving them names if I lost the parentage (tags.) Some of the blooms are so ugly that I cull those plants.

There's just not enough time in the day to do all that I want to do/learn!

Have you taken any cool pics lately?

Julie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re: Kt, It's your pesty photography student...

Wow! You are a busy body!

Yes, it takes time to go thru all those pics, but that's how you learn. See what works and what doesn't, then you can get where you can take less pics each time and then have less to look thru on the computer.

Have you taken any cool pics lately?
Unfortunately, nothing is 'cool' here.:)

I've taken some pics but only a quick snapshot here and there. I'm spending more time each day watering, and the days have started to get shorter.

I'll load the pics from my camera and see what I have on there. Maybe I have something worth posting.

Kt

o

Since days are shorter, I have been getting to work before the sun comes up, and I am still out in the woods watering when the sun sets, so no sunrise or sunset pics lately.

Had some pics on my camera of a deer that was watching me water the other day(blurry) and some pics of cracks in the road.

All roads crack here, but these cracks are from the ground being dry, as the cracks extend out into the ditches. This crack was large enough for me to put my hand down into it, and I have large hands.

Photobucket

Kt

o

Wow! That's one large crack! Is that the toe of your boot in the bottom of the photo? That boot toe gives good perspective to the size of the crack.

As far as being a busy body, I've had to stop posting so many pictures on the daylily forums. Everyone likes to share their gorgeous blooms, but it got to be a chore, because I had to also resize and upload them to Photobucket, along with responding to so many other posters. I had to chop something out of my day, and posting over there was getting tedious.

Tomorrow (or soon) I will try and post something interesting here, if I have time. Some time soon (before I go back to work at the end of August,) I will start laying layers of newspapers down with 4" of mulch on top to extend a couple of my garden beds...these projects of mine may never end!

Julie

o

Yes, it's a lot of work to upload, download, resize, etc pics, but it's fun...as long as you have time.

You are very busy with your projects there. Garderning projects never end.

Is that the toe of your boot in the bottom of the photo?

Yes, I forgot to mention that. You can see the tip of it is wet from watering. Size 10 1/2 for size comparison.

Kt

o

Here's a bad photo of a Killdeer.
I was out taking pics of my flowers, when I heard the Killdeer's high-pitched kill-deeeeer, or sometimes just deeeer. Usually I see them down by the driveway near the road edge, sometimes among the soybeans in the field.

But the other day this one was wandering along the edge of the cabbage field. I didn't have my zoom/telephoto lens with me, so I just shot with my lens zoomed out as far as I could, snapped, then cropped on the computer. He/she was fun to watch run along the ground in short spurts.
Photobucket

Here's a site with some better looking pictures. Scroll about halfway down and you'll see the adult killdeer standing in grass. That's exactly what I saw.

Julie

o

Here's an unusual Daylily.
Every once-in-a-while, a DL will produce a "poly" (short for polymerous, or polytepal) bloom.
Instead of the normal three petals and three sepals, a bloom produces four or more of each.
In this photo, you see five petals and five sepals. It also has extra stamens - ten to be exact, you just can't see all of them in the photo. Normally a DL bloom has six stamens.

Photobucket
Julia

o

Do you have Killdeer down by you?

j

o

Beautiful daylily, and interesting!

Yes, we have killdee's(killdeers) down here, but ours are more silver coloured, yours appears brownish.

The young ones always run around tripping over eveything with their long legs.

I will need a good zoom to get a pic of one here, but now that you mention it, I don't remember seeing any this year...maybe the drought has something to do with it...no grass.

Kt

o

Thanks, Kt.

This was one instance I had my camera with me at just the right moment. I just didn't have the right lens to capture the Killdeer clearly.

j

o

Do y'all call them killdeers? We call them killdees.

Kt

o

Yup, we do.
Aparantly they are one and the same, according the the definitions I've looked up.

J.

o
RE: Re: Kt, It's you r pesty photography student...

Yes, they are the same, and we spell it/them killdeer, but we call them killdees.

Like some people call a creek, a crick.

And like us southerners, we say the word "can't" like "ain't" with a 'c' in front of it...cain't.

I noticed it in a song on the radio while driving back from the country tonight...Moe Bandy when he sings the verse...
...through a little town I "cain't" recall... at the beginning of Americana.

Kt

Americana

o

Like some people call a creek, a crick.
Well, whadeya know!?!? I also call a creek a crick! But that's not normal for people around here. I only say crick, because my parents had a crick flowing behind their property and that's the term they used, which they may have carried here from their younger days in other states...who knows.

Pretty song, Americana.
Reminds me of how old we're getting. When we travel back from trips up North, we try to avoid the Interstate, esp. around Milwaukee. The slower side roads take us through small country towns, and the slower pace is very calming and relaxing. Thanks for sharing that song!

Julie

o

Do you say can't or cain't?

...and the slower pace is very calming and relaxing...

Yes, I find myself taking backroads or sideroads as opposed to IHs. There is a lot to be seen on side roads that you would never even know was there if you take the fast-paced highways.

Kt

o

Do you say can't or cain't?
LOL!!!

NOBODY around here says cain't. Someone saying cain't would have heads turning. That's definately a Suthe'n term.

I'd be curious to hear you say "North"...whether you pronounce the "r" or not.

Julie

o

We all pronounce our "R's" down here. I thought Yanks were the one's who didn't?

Some of the very old-timers who speak with German or Czech accents roll their r's or speak it from the tip of their tongue.

Kt

o

Re: the "r's", I might be thinking about another area of the country...maybe out East, in the NY or NJ area.
For example, I think someone from NJ might say New Joisey instead of New Jersey.

Yes, I hear the rolling of the r's here.

How do you pronounce "ya"?
(Or maybe you never say "ya", but always say "yes"?)
The "a" in my "ya" sounds like the "o" in my "hot".
(Which may not help one bit, since you prob'ly pronounce "hot" differently than I do!)
If you can imagine a Sweede talking, that's how I pronounce my "ya"...from part of my Dad's nationality. Not too many people around here pronounce it like me. Most say it with the "a" sounding like the "a" in "cat".
I s'pose you pronounce "cat" like "cait"?

Head spinning?

J.

o

LOL...No cat is pronounced cat. I also pronounce ya as in the o in hot.

I think it's the NYers who don't pronounce their 'r's, or people from that area. Maybe Sandy can answer that.

There are some people who put 'r's in words that don't have an r in them also. I can't recall any of the words now, but when I do I'll post them.

Kt

o

There are some people who put 'r's in words that don't have an r in them also.

I heard on the news this morning an Australian reporter talking about a panda, but he clearly said pandar.

There was also someone one the "other side" that spelled spam as "sparm"...some guy from Texas.

J

o

spam as "sparm"...

Too many bohemians in Texas...

I remembered one of the words...wash. Some people pronounce it warsh.

Here, it is pronounced, 'w'...'aw'(as in aw, how cute), then 'sh'.

Kt

o

Aparantly I say 'wash' like you do, at least on paper.
But I bet there is still a difference in the way we both pronounce the 'a', because I prob'ly pronounce 'aw' differently than you Southerers do.

phrrlox?!?!?!?

Julie

o

Funny how the topic of photography turns into linguistics.

o

If only we could take pictures of 'words' as they are being said.

o

If only we could hear different accents of those words on paper.

I think everone outside of the Great Lakes area has an accent of some sort or another.

J

o

This was third from the bottom on page 10.
Yikes! Almost lost it!

Bernie has given me an assignment, which I need to get to one of these days...shutter speed stuff.

Julie

o

Add to "DO" list.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Test Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here