Julie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Belated BD gift for KT

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

o

Kt,

I have no idea what Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm means, other than simply Hmmmmmmmmm.

It's very hard to judge a person's tastes in music over cyber space. I know you like country, but I have no country music to share with you.....besides, I'm sure you have all the music (or it's in your head) for all the songs you like to play.

This one is actually a tango. I think it's very pretty, and it's one of those "feels good under the fingers" type of songs. If you can play Classical Gas, you can surely play this one. In fact, I think this one's easier to play than CG.

Sorry if I misjudged your taste in music.

Julie

o

No need to apologize, it is a very thoughtful gift!

Not a bad "hmmmmm" and by the way, Thank You Very Much!! Nothing to do with my taste in music, as I enjoy almost all music and also your gift, the one above.

The hmmmmm is for,...well I'll have to confess, I can't read music for my guitar, or in other words, I don't know what chords are 'a' 'b' 'f' etc, since I taught myself to play the guitar, I never learned the notes. I can play that on my trumpet/cornet, though, no problem.

Guitar playing for me is more from listening and watching others.

I will figure it out after I play it a few times on my horn.

Thanks Again!! Sorry for coming across wrong.

Kt

o

O.K. then, Kt,

The tablature underneath the notes might be easier to read. (Those are the staves with TAB written vertically on the left hand side.)

The TAB staff has 6 lines, standing for your six strings, the bottom line being your lowest pitched string, the top line being your highest pitched string. The numbers on each line stand for the frets for your left hand fingers. Of course you'll have to figure out the rhythm by looking at the note stems, and it sounds like you know how to do that with your trumpet.

I've been working on some variations, adding harmony and slides, sometimes getting so lost in what I'm doing that time slips away, since I'm having so much fun.

Well, hope you are able to play it some day. It's a lovely song. It's quite possible you can do a Google search for the melody and download it to your computer. So far I haven't been able to find such a site, but I'm sure it's out there in cyberspace somewhere.

Julie

o

I have been working on it, but it is time consuming for me, and a bit difficult. I have been using the website that you posted. Slowly but surely.

Thanks

Kt

o

I have been working on it, but it is time consuming for me, and a bit difficult
That's exactly how I feel about playing piano/keyboard!

But practice makes perfect.

I'm sure it will get easier as time goes by.

Oh, and BTW, it's also how I feel about photography!
I haven't been posting on the photography forum, because I feel very intimidated over there. You all take such fantastic photos, and I am struggling, trying to capture a great sunset, with a beautiful red sun. It's just not working for me.....guess I'm not gifted in that area....BUT practice makes perfect....one of these days I'll get it!

Julie

o

I don't have time for any serious practice, but I look at it a couple times a day and try to learn how to read and finger the notes.

I have to disagree. Your photos are some of the best on the photography forum. I think everyones are great, but you add borders to some pictures which really adds a nice touch. As with everything I do, I think that I always have much room for improvement.

Keep Posting!

Kt

o

Thanks for the encouragement, Kt.

I think I probably do O.K. on close-up photography, but I'm befuddled when it comes to capturing a sunset with the sun showing the exact color on the photo that I'm seeing w/the naked eye. And the moon.....well, that's another miserable failure.... how you get the "man-in-the-moon" face is a mystery to me. All I get is a super-nova type glow, even with a tripod.

But I guess I shouldn't give up, huh?
It all must have something to do with camera settings.

Jule

o

That's the biggest plus, at least in my opinion, about digital cameras...you can take dozens of photos of the same thing and just go home and put them on your computer and see what you have.

I took pictures many years ago, using my 35mm, of some passing comets, and didn't know what I had on film for a few weeks when I went to College Station to have them developed.

What I like to do for sunsets and for moonshots, is to set the camera to the setting for 'speed' adjustment. Then I take pictures starting, say at 1/8 of a second on up to 1/2000 of a second. As the settings progress, the pictures become darker, but you have less movement. That way you can pick out the best shot, and the one that is closest to the actual colour of the sunset.

Moonshots...REMEMBER: A full moon is very bright, and is like taking a photo during the light of day, especially if you are zoomed-in and the moon takes up a big portion of the photo.

Set the camera to a faster setting, such as 1/125 or 1/250 and work in either direction from there.

If you want to get trees in the foreground, or the moon shining through the trees, then you will probably need a longer exposure time, such as 1/30 or even 1/8 of a second...blah blah blah...I know, I'm starting to ramble. Music and photography are just two of many things that I could talk ALL day about.

Always willing to share ideas, just ask.

Good Luck

Kt

o

Wow....lots of good advice there.
I know what you're talking about with the speed. I used to have (actually still do) a 35mm Minolta camera, and would experiment with different f-stops. But I'm not sure I know how to set the speed on my digital. Will look into that when I have some spare time. And believe me - it will take some time to catch on!

I saved your post to my clippings for future reference.
Thanks for the advice!

Julie

o

When playing Malequena(sp?), I only upstroke once on the lower string but sounds better using a triple upstrum on the lower string. Don't know the technical terms, sorry.

It sounds OK, but my fingers can't get it right with the triple. How do you play it? My fingernails are once again long enough, but I guess the fingers don't quite work like they used to.

Kt

o

Malequena, I think that's the right spelling.

Well, I'm not sure how to answer your question, because I'm not sure what you're describing.

When you say "upstroke on the lower string", do you mean the string that's lowest to the floor when you're holding the guitar on you knee? Or, are you refering to the lower string as the lowest in pitch, which would be the fattest one?

AND are you playing right handed?

Anyway, I think when you are trying to describe a triple strum, it would be the same as if I were to play the same note three times, starting with the ring finger, followed by the middle finger, followed by the index finger, all in very fast succession. The term is called a triplet.

When I play Maleguena, I sometimes play a melody with my thumb on the lower pitched strings, while my ring, middle, and index fingers play fast triplets on the highest (pitched) string....the one closest to the floor. Boy this is hard to describe without using the names of the strings.

I also throw in some flamenco style strumming with full chords: If you know the E chord, strum it once with your thumb (downstroke), then strum down again, with the backs of your fingernails, pretending to flick water off them, starting with the ring finger, with the middle and index following behind. Darn, this is so hard to describe without me being able to show you.

O. K. it's getting late.....I think I can better "show" you if I somehow diagram the strumming style on paper, then scan it and post it here.....Just give me a few days and I'll think of a way.

Hey, guess what I found.....the rest of "El Choclo". I didn't know it had a second page. Trouble is, it's written for piano. I'll have to transcribe it to guitar someday....probably this winter some time.

Here is a link that might be useful: The rest of the song

o
El Choclo played magnificently!!!

Kt,
I found this site by browsing this morning. There is no way I could have listened to/watched this guitar player on dial-up, but now that I'm on wireless, it loaded fast.

Perhaps, if you get a chance at work, you can listen to and watch this accomplished guitar player, and get an idea what the song sounds like.

I can't play anywhere near as well as he does. My version of El Choclo is much much simpler.

Julie

Here is a link that might be useful: Roland Dyens plays El Choclo

o

Yes, triple is what I meant, and I always talk top to bottom(right-hand playing), so the top would be the low string and the bottom would be the high string. Can you tell I never had any lessons?

Oh, and Thanks, I'll try again tomorrow at work to see if I can download the tune/video.

However, I do recognize the tune from the notes, but making the notes match my guitar playing is more difficult than if I just play by ear, or at least less of a headache for me.

It's hard to break old habits, and putting visual notes to my 'mind' notes is confusing to me, but not impossible. I guess it's like learning a new language...you're trying to connect words with what you already know, but sometimes it gets real confusing.

Thanks for the help, from your newest student.

Kt

o

You're welcome.

I still need to show you some fancy strumming patterns like I promised, but I need to find the time to diagram it in such a way that it won't give you a headache. You must have a great "ear" for music, if you can pick out tunes w/o reading much notation. My good ear was somewhat of a downfall when I took lessons as a teen....I would memorize a lot of songs, but when it came to sight reading music, it was a real chore. It came easier for me in college when I took classical guitar lessons. My teacher told me to buy lots of easy to read music books and keep sight reading, and it gradually got easier. I used to be quite good at it, because I had to practice diligently! All my songs are played slower now-a-days.

Ha! I've never had a cyber student before!

Now about cameras.....consider me YOUR student in this area. I read and re-read and read again my camera guide, and I've come to the conclusion that my camera is all programed, and can't be manually set to different speeds.

However, I read DH's camera manual, and it appears you can set it to different f-stops and aperature openings. So one of these days I'll fiddle with his camera, and maybe get a decent sunset or moon-scape. Funny thing, his camera cost less than mine, and his seems to do more!

Happy plucking (guitar),

Jules

o

While waiting for some computer downloads earlier, I passed some of the time, once again, trying the notes/fingerings/tablature/etc. I'm not having an easy time with this, but I am making some headway.

More practice time would be very helpful, but time is still short for such things. I can still watch someone play, and pick up from watching, and can usually pick up notes from just hearing the song although it takes much more time, but that is what I am used to doing.

I'm still trying.

Good Luck To Me...

Kt

o

Maybe you'll have more time in the winter months, as the sun sets earlier each day.....unless of course you're out in your greenhouses keeping your plants alive. (do you give them extra lighting during the winter?

Hey, you could take your guitar out there, and sit on your chair, and bask in the greenhouse warmth while you practice. That is, if you've printed the above song. The humidity would be good for your guitar.

I have transcribed the second page, but I too have little time to practice as much as I want....still lots of things to do outside when I get home from work.

And your camera student here hasn't done her homework with DH's camera yet, (figuring out how to change the speed/aperature openings, etc). THAT is on my TO DO list. When I get ready to fiddle and fuss around, I'm sure I'll be pestering you with questions (just an advanced warning).

Anyway, I have confidence you will someday learn El Choclo. Just remember, you can play any song perfectly if you play it slow enough. I play it much slower than it's suppose to go, and it satisfies me just fine!

Don't ever give up....

Julie

o

bump

o

COOOOOOOL! It is nice to be able to finally see what everyone else has been able to, and also to enjoy and appreciate a fine guitarist in action!

Thanks, Jule!!

o

Once again, COOOL!

Kt

o

I finally took time this evening after Supper, to watch this video(Yesterday) a few times as I learned to play it. It took me about 30 minutes, but I was playing it without a hitch. Just wish I could play as fast as I used to.

I can learn from watching, if I see both hands at the same time, but have a harder time learning from just the 'fret' hand visible.

Kt

o

Nice version of Yesterday!

I was also browsing YouTube this afternoon, watching various artists play Silent Night, and I saw the SAME GUY you just posted!

Have fun!

Julie

o

Well now I'm in the mood to play something Christmas-y

Talk to ya later.....

Jule

o

Neato! I'll have to learn that one before Christmas.

Thanks!

Kt

o
Sound Alone

I'll have to do the end of the song by sound, as it doesn't show him playing the end notes.

Kt

o

Here's a better "view" of Silent Night.
The guitarist goes into more detail.

Julie

o

Able to master the "Yesterday" tune without much trouble, probably since I already knew a similar version.

The "Silent Night" tune was a bit more diffcult and never got it to my satisfaction before Christmas. I will keep trying and hope to have it down before next Christmas.

Kt

o

Congratulations on mastering "Yesterday."

I had a few days off between Christmas and New Year's, so pulled out some arrangements of songs I used to play (arranged by myself), and was surprised they were so hard to read and play. It's sad what the years can take away (or rather what fades away from my memory) since I don't play as much as I used to.

Life takes unusual twist and turns, but that's O. K.
I like learning new things, like what this computer can do! There's just no end to the fun stuff a person can do!

Keep strummin!

Julie

o

Jule?

I hope your Mom is doing alright.

Kt

o

Thanks for your thoughtful concern, Kt.

My Mom had a bipolar hip replacement on Wednesday.
They got her up walking Thursday, although with baby steps and a walker. She is beginning to eat more, perking up a little more each day. What a trooper at 85!

Dad is being well looked after by my son, my brother, my parents' church members, and myself. Both my parents are tough survivors, probably because they grew up during the depression, and can easily make it through tough times.

I, however, was a basket case for a couple of days, worrying over both of them. I had a couple sleepless nights, making me rather useless and exhausted the following days. That's one of my downfalls - not being able to turn my brain off in order to sleep - and I refuse to start taking sleeping pills.

Interesting that you brought up this post. I had been thinking of asking you (my cyber photography instructor) about camera settings. About a week ago, I tried photographing the full moon w/DH's camera on a tripod. I was able to set the speed to 1/250, if I remember, but the moon still came out too bright, also blurred, as if the camera moved. I remember it was very windy, so can the whole tripod (cheap brand) move in a strong wind? Also, do you have to also set the aperature opening differently?
(Be patient with me, those are probably silly questions, but I'm at a loss when it comes to photographing the sun or moon!)

Again, Thanks for your thoughtfullness!

Jule

P.S. I didn't add this bqackground to try and be fancy, but rather to protect this thread from any silly BGs.

o
Background?????????

Now I don't see the background (light blue) that I added above.....I saw it in my preview, but now it's not there.

Kt, did you perhaps add a white background?

If so, thanks!

J.

o
I can't spell either!

Geeezzzzeee!

bqackground?

I meant background.

Julia

o

Jule, great to hear that your Mom is doing OK. Sounds like both of your parents have plenty of help, which I'm sure is greatly appreciated.

Yes, I did the same here as I did on the discussion part of the forum, to keep Jmcat from covering another one of my posts with an annoying background. As you noticed, it is white. He's not trying to be mean, he's just having fun, but I didn't want to lose the info here to a 'wild' background, rendering it unreadable.

A good tripod CAN make the difference, but NOT always.

Over twenty years ago, I finally decided to get a 'good' tripod, and spent over $300 on a professional one. It has everything, and most of all is heavy, and thus sturdy. I was told by a camera 'expert' that this is most likely why the moon photos are coming out a bit blurry.

Well, from that standpoint, it was wasted money since the photos still came out blurred.

Anything that you zoom-in on will have a greater tendency to be blurred with the more zoom you use. In other words, even the slightest breeze can make a photo blurred if it is zoomed-in a lot as compared to little or no zoom. Also the shutter button being pressed can cause just enough movement to blur the photo. If you have a time-delay shutter(say 3-second delay) or shutter cable, that would help.

If 1/250 left the photo too bright, then you need to go to 1/500 or even 1/1000 or less. Remember, taking the picture of a bright full moon, especially if you zoom in and it takes up most of the view, is like taking a picture during the bright daytime.

My present camera is diffucult to set more than one setting, so I use the manual speed setting and let the camera automatically do the rest.

Personally, in the past while using my A-1, I have had better luck using a very small aperature opening, but I was told that you want a large aperature, but haven't figured out why, yet.

Usually at shutter speed of 1/250 your aperature should be abour f2.8 or f3.0.

I have done better taking photos where the moon is smaller, then I crop it out later on my computer, but you need a camera with a high pixel number to get a clear crop from the original, at least 4 million or more is best for crop enlargements.

I don't know if I mentioned here, as I did on the Photog Forum, but one of the last 'moon' photos that I posted back around Christmas, was done with my spotting scope set up on a tripod. I zoomed-in to the point where the moon took up most of the view, yet was crystal clear, then I simply held my camera up to the eyepice of the spotting scope and snapped off several dozen shots. Out of probably around 50 photos, there were only about 9 to 12 that were crisper than the rest and even they were a bit blurred. Camera was set to take three photos each time I pressed the shutter button, which helped eliminate movement from depression of the shutter button.

My A-1 camera had an adapter that I could fit directly onto the spotting scope, but it made the photos NO clearer than if I just held it up to the eyepiece and snapped a pic.

I'm sure you've seen those huge camera lenses that are the size of highway pilons(cones), that they use at football games along the sidelines to capture photos from across the field, those would be best for getting a clear photo of the moon, or anything else for that matter, especially in low light.

The reason being, is that they have a large opening at the end where light come in thus letting in more light and in return, lowering the amount of time the shutter has to be open. I have always wanted one, but they are tremendously expensive. Also the lenses are refractor lenses as compared to reflector lenses which uses mirrors to shorten the length of the lens for convenience, but with a loss of clarity and some light.

Blah blah blah...once you get me started...

Depending on what camera you have to work with(number of pixels and zoom power) you will be limited to what you can do, but with digital cameras, you can literally take hundreds of photos, and if only one turns out to be a great shot, then I consider it well worth it since the 'bad' photos can simple be erased, unlike the going and getting 35mm film developed, only to find out that none turned out.

So, having aired myself out, remember to shorten the time if the picture is too bright(from 1/250 to say 1/500), use a timed shutter release if you have one, and use a sturdy tripod. If your tripod is not a heavy one, do not open it up fully. You might want to shorten the leg length, and do not raise up the center pole as this will further make the camera vulnerable to shakes, and hanging a heavy camera bag or backpack with some weight in it from the tripod will also help sturdy the tripod, a trick that I learned back when I used to carry around a lot a camera equipment when I used my A-1.

Hopefully this will help...if you were able to stay interested after reading this far! If something needs a better expanation, feel free to ask.

P.S. I recently had time to almost completely learn 'The Joker' and 'Sweet Home Alabama' on guitar. Fingers aren't working very well, but it sounds OK. The weather has been cold and rainy so I've had time after dark to spend picking.

Kt

o

Kt-
As for your insinuation that I would be so inconsiderate as to stick a bad BG on this post, I think you're wrong. It seems to me that this is kind of the pot calling the kettle black. Not that I'm wanting to start a fight, but I just thought that I should inform you of that.

Since you're mentioning recently learned songs... I'm about finished learning "I Wonder as I Wander" on the piano from a hymn book. That song has a really easy bass line! I think I'll probably start on some Easter music next.

As for picture-taking, my subjects have been mainly caterpillars. For them, I usually try to get as high of an F-stop as I can (F-22 or so) to increase depth of field. I then use a "slave" flash unit to get enough light. I've also done some time-lapse (not hard if you have the right equipment) and micro-photography, both on caterpillars and butterflies. I haven't had much (any) experience with night photography, though.

-Jmcat

o

Wow, Kt!

Thanks for all your expert advise!
That's too much for me to absorb at one time, so I copied it all to a document, printed it, and slipped it in a Photography folder that I'm starting for future reference.

When I have some extra time, I'll have to read DH's camera manual to see if his camera has a time delay shutter. His is a Canon PowerShot A70 (an inexpensive one he can toss in his towtruck and snap pics of wrecks.) On the evening I took the photos, not only was it rather windy, but also bitter cold. As I think back, I may have been shivering w/o realizing it, thus causing more shaking. Sometime when it's warmer, I'll try the faster shutter speeds.

His camera is only 3.2 megapixels, so I probably wouldn't get a clear image as I crop it.

My tripod doesn't have a center pole...like I said, it's a cheap brand.

I had been toying with the idea of getting a better camera a long time ago, since my Olympus D-550 Zoom is limited as far as being able to set things manually. So much is pre-programed. The only pics that seem to turn out O.K. are the close-ups. Would you suggest I get an SLR camera?

You know, there are times I miss my old Minolta (before the digitals became widely used.) I had quite an array of filters and lenses to play with. Wish I could share some of those old photos on the forums. But in order to do that, I'd have to scan them, and whenever I do that, I lose picture quality.....I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks for taking the time to type all that info. (Although, knowing you and your love of photography, your fingers probably flew across the keys!)

Well now, Cyber Space Cowboy, do you use a slide when playing the Joker? That is one cool song, (that I never learned to sing or play.)

Since you've learned "Sweet Home Alabama" maybe fly on over to Terramadre's place and sing/play it for her birthday!

Lately I've been playing "One Day at a Time, Sweet Jesus", which fits my circumstances.

Julie

o

Thanks for all your expert advise!

Well, I like the compliment but consider myself FAR from expert. I just tell what I have learned from experience. I do hope it helps.

Can't find my slide, but need it to play it the way I would like, but I'm getting my fingers to hit the right strings for now, and that's enough.

...fly on over to Terramadre's place and sing/play it for her birthday!

Oh no! Wouldn't want to scare her with my voice!

"One Day at a Time, Sweet Jesus", hmmmm I will have to look into that one someday. I think I might be able to learn it.

Kt

o

Kt,

Do you have an SLR camera?

Would you recommend I get one if I buy a new camera?

Julie

o

I have two Canon A-1's and I was given an AE-1.

I bought the second A-1 since it was easier to have a second camera ready with a different lens, instead of try to fumble around and change lenses, by which time, I usually missed the shot.

I now have a Nikon Coolpix 5700 that I purchased for ease of use. Many consider it too large, but it saves me from carrying around all the extra lenses and equipment, which is much worse than carrying the Nikon itself. It also takes videos. It's great for hiking or traveling, although some may think that it is a bit large, but I need it for all of it's special effect settings, although I rarely use them. It is considered a 'semi-pro' camera.

It can mostly do what my A-1 does, and all in an easy to carry camera.

What it doesn't do, is take exposures longer than 8 seconds which I like to take some photos at 10 minutes or more. Battery doesn't last very long on the Nikon so that's probably why it will only do short exposures.

Also, you cannot double expose a photo with the Nikon, and with the A-1, I can double, triple, or re-expose a photo as many times as I like.

My next camera will be a digital Canon SLR so that I can use all of my old lenses and equipment such as extension tubes, filters, etc. If you purchase an SLR, make sure the lenses that you already have, will fit the new camera. Not all lenses will fit different brand cameras, but some can be used with a special adapter ring that allows use of different brand lenses on different cameras, but be sure this is the case before you purchase a new SLR.

However, they make some really nice Kodak cameras(among other brands for around $200) that take 10+ million(mega) pixels, they will take movies, Have great zoom capabilities, and they are small making them easy to carry.

It will have to be your decision on which type of camera you buy. If you want to do a lot of special effects photogragy, and you already have a bunch of lenses, you may want to go with a digital SLR, but if you are looking for a camera to carry around all the time and don't want the burden of all the extra baggage, then a point and shoot digital would be fine,...like I mentioned, they do almost everything that my earlier SLR's can do, all in a small easy carry package.

Having said that, I guess I would recommend having two cameras. One good digital SLR for 'extreme' photography such as night photos, multiple exposures, extreme macro's and such, and one good compact digital for convenience.

Although this is all my opinion, I would look for one with a very high pixel rating and one with a good zoom, at least 5X but more would be better. Other options such as macro, video, low light photograghy, and colour balance capbilities are pretty much standard on all digital cameras today.

A friend of mine recently bought a Kodak C875(?) and it is really nice. I have been wanting to take a closer look at it and see what all it can do, but I was very impressed the first time she showed it to me.

Click Here for just one of several helpful camera sites on the internet.

Opps, here I go again, blah blah blah...I gotta go put my fingers in the freezer to cool them down.

I hope this helps and not confuses you.

Good Luck

Kt

o

You have a lot of cameras there, Tex!

Yes, I know about carrying a camera and all the accessories. I had a large bag for my old Minolta, with room for filters, lenses, film and batteries. I was getting really good at taking pics, then the digitals took over, and here I am practically starting over again.

Would you please explain double, triple, and re-expose a photo?

You mentioned your next camera will be a digital Canon SLR. A friend of mine, (actually her DH) has a Canon Rebel EOS. I just browsed the Canon site, and I see there's about 8 different EOS models, some of them very pricey. Are you familiar with any of them, and would you recommend any?

Answering those questions ought to set your fingertips on fire again, huh?

Thanks for all your expert advice. (I know, I know, you don't consider yourself an expert, BUT compared to me, you are!)

Jules

o

Double(or triple, etc) exposure was what I used to use on my A-1. First of all, being a 35mm camera, I never knew what I had captured on the film until it was developed. However, in the situation where I would attempt to take pictures of lightning, if no lightning happened while the shutter was open, usually for a maximum of about 8 seconds, then I would simply take another photo using that same point on the film, thus not wasting any film. What the camera does is, it rewinds/resets the shutter button but does not advance the film in the camera.

Sometimes, it would lightning but would be a small streak, so I would take numerous over-takes on the same film until I got a 'good' shot of lightning, then I'd advance the film...does that makes sense?

Of course, the camera needs to be on a tripod so that you are getting the same part of the landscape in each photo, and you have to be careful not to move the camera while setting it for a second or third exposure.

Multiple exposures are also fun to work with if you want something in a photo, that actually isn't there. It takes practice, and I'll have to go into more detail later. This is the setting that UFO pranksters use to make a flying saucer appear in a familiar setting, such as next to the Whitehouse, etc.

I was looking into buying a Canon EOS 40D or an EOS 5D, both are quite expensive. I'm still deciding though as I might go for even a different one. I haven't done a lot of research on the Rebels, but I think I would go for the Rebel XTi, which is a step up from the Rebel XT.

I am a Canon diehard, and will choose a Canon first over any other brand, but that's me. There are several great brands out there. The reason I have a Nikon now, is that at the time that I purchased it, we were going on a vacation and I needed something more portable as compared to hauling around all the extra baggage full of lenses and other stuff that I always did with my Canon A-1 and I was always worried it was going to get stolen.

Canon, at the time did not have anything equivalent to the Nikon, so I went with it. Canon seems to always sit back and see what other cameras have, good and bad, then they take the best of the best and put it into their cameras, and the wait is usually worth it, but I don't often go anywhere so I had to make a quick decision and buy what was available for my needs. I have been satisfied with the Nikon for what I use it for.

My sister has a Canon EOS Rebel XT. She really likes it and says it is very easy for her to operate. I looked at it on Christmas Day, but our visit was short and I didn't have time to really study it, but it looked great from what I saw. She likes the auto settings for ease of use. She has never had a Canon before, but has had two or three Nikons, but she like this Canon better.

From what I've seen on the EOS cameras, and there are more like 16 different ones, the more pricey they are, the more they can do.

I like a semi-pro camera, that way I can do most anything with the setting...I like to have control, but yet it can be set to auto, for quick and carefree photograghy.

What I do when I look for a camera(or anything else for that matter), is to have a set of specifications that I want on the camera, such as number of pixels for example, or strength of zoom, if you're purchasing a regular point and shoot camera. Then that narrows down the number of cameras to a few. Finally, the price comes into the picture...so to speak.

The cameras that I want and like are too expensive for me so I might have to settle for less, or wait for the prices to drop as newer cameras keep coming out.

You may ask over on the Photog Forum and someone there can maybe give you some 'firsthand' advice, better that me just telling what I have read.

WHOA!! My fingers just caught on fire! Good thing I had an open bucket of ice cream next to me.

I hope I have helped a little, as explaining and conveying my thoughts, are not always my strong points.

At pricegrabber.com, you can do an advanced search where you can choose a camera by price range, brand, number of pixels, etc. My computer does not let me always log on to their site anymore for some reason, but it's a great site when you can access it. It can even list online sellers of a particular item listed from lowest to highest price.

Good Luck

Kt

P.S. I think my typing has gotten faster and better, probably, at least I think, from recently playing the guitar more. Just an observation...

o

You explained double (triple exposure very well).
I'm assuming that's something you can't do with a digital camera, since there's no film.

My friend's husband said he spent about $600 on his Canon Rebel, so I'm thinking it could have been the Rebel XTi, which lists for $599.00 on the Canon website. But adding all the extra lenses, printer, and other accessories would bring the price much higher.

I certainly have a lot of researching to do!
Hmmmmmm...I wonder if there's a chance my Minolta lenses would fit (with the help of an adaptor).

I quickly browsed pricegrabber.com.
Thanks for sharing that site info!

You've given me a great amount of good advice...
I hope I have helped a little, as explaining and conveying my thoughts, are not always my strong points.
You did fine, especially how you gave examples of what you were explaining (lightning, UFOs, and fingers in ice cream).

I think my typing has gotten faster and better, probably, at least I think, from recently playing the guitar more
Now I find that interesting too. Your manual dexterity is most likely improving. Speaking of fingers on fire, that reminds me of the years I played in a dance band for 4-hour gigs. The finger tips of my left hand were always HOT by the end of the night. But I could easily stand it, since my fingertips were well calloused.

O.K., Kt,
I won't pester you for a while (at least a day or two) with more camera Q's

Until then, don't eat too much ice cream.

Your cyber photography student,

Julie

o

There may be a digital camera out there that allows multiple exposures, but I have never run across it yet.

Also, the battery life on the digitals is much shorter which is the reason why exposure time is much shorter on the digitals. On my A-1, I could open the shutter as long as I liked using a shutter cable, and never had a battery go dead.

Kt

o

I think for double- or triple-exposing on a digital camera, you take multiple pics and then combine them in a program for manipulation.
-Jmcat

o

Yes, you can manipulate them on a computer, but sometimes it is very difficult to do.

I have a program that lets me put pictures, that are taken side by side of something, into a panoramic photo.

I did this with photos taken of the Meteor Crater in Arizona, among a few others. The crater is so massive, that I could not get much of it in the camera view, so I took several in sequence, starting from left to right.

I think there were five photos altogether, and the photos I took overlapped some of the view, but the computer program uses this to line-up the photos into one long/wide picture...pretty cool.

Kt

o

I have the same feature in my Camedia Master program that came with my Olympus camera. Yes, pretty cool, but if I use as many as 5 or 6 photos, the proportions get distorted somewhat.

o

Yes, you are correct. The more photos that you use, the more chance you have of getting distorted photos.

I actually took three sequenced photos of the crater, and only one sequence turned out really nice.

I learned to overlap each photo, and I try to keep the camera level.

Also, it works best with very distant objects/landscapes. The more close shots seem to get distorted very easily.

Kt

o

o

Bumping up so this thread isn't lost to cyber space maybe?

I just played El Choclo a couple of hours ago.

I'm also working on a nice classical guitar arrangement of 'In The Hall Of The Mountain King' by Edvard Grieg that I downloaded for free from musicnotes.com. They offer a free song every month for people who have accounts with them. They are also starting something new with this free sheet music. People are given the chance to submit videos of themselves playing the arrangement of downloaded free sheet music of the month, and given the chance to win $100 in gift certificates toward the purchase of any sheet music from their site. Their vidoe is then submitted to YouTube.

Now, I have absolutely no intention of video taping myself with the intention of winning any certificates, or puting myself on YouTube. But I hope that a guitarist is chosen over a piano player, because I'd like to see that nice arrangement shown on YouTube. I have searched for a nice classical guitarist playing 'In The Hall Of The Mountain King', but there are none on YouTube...only a few rock guitarists who massacre the song by playing amplified and distorted versions, which makes me sick. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy playing the song for my own personal enjoyment. I don't know if you know the song, but it starts out very slow and soft, gradually building in a crescendo of dynamics and an increase of speed (accelerando.) It's fun to play, and not to terribly hard.

Hope you are able to find some time, as the daylight hours get shorter, to pick a few tunes...;)

Julie

o

You should enter, I think you'd definitely win. $100 in gift certificates can go a long ways.

That tune sounds familiar, but I can't place it. If I heard it, I'm sure I'd recognize it.

Seeing Roy Clark play again(from Bob's post) makes me want to pick up my guitar and do some picking, but I'm wornout...as usual. Watering is just about over for me. My tank, at the country, is getting too low for me to get water from it, and I called the wellman again last week, but he is far behind with service calls with this drought.

The well here, just across the fence from me went dry and the neighbours want to use my well to help them out, but mine is already working almost 24/7. My tank here is nothing but mud, so all cows are using wellwater adding to the already bad situation.

I hope my well doesn't dry up...

Sorry, kind of got off the subject there. Anyway, once in a while I will wake up at night and go outside and play for a little while, but nothing new, just a few tunes that I have memorized. Tonight's a very bright moon, so it should make for a nice music setting.

...and yes, I was 'bumping' to keep this post from disappearing forever. It was almost the last post on this forum.

Kt

o

I can't enter, since I don't have a movie camera (camcorder?) I really don't have the desire anyway, just don't have the enthusiasm as when I was younger.....just like to play the simple tunes....at least until winter...I still want to get my fingers into flamenco style playing.

Watering is just about over for me.
Oh no, what will you do to save your plants?
Can you take cuttings, if you think you might lose any. and grow them in your greenhouse?

I also hope, for your sake, and your cattle's sake that your well doesn't run dry!

Julie

o

Still watering, and my well hasn't run dry, yet.

Believe it or not, I got 0.15 inch of rain here today!!!!

Needless to say, I was happier than a gopher in soft dirt. However, I got no rain, none, nada, zilch, big goose egg, out at the country.

Kt

o

Goodness sakes, this is like a blast from the past!

Glad you bumped this post up again, and I'm glad El Choclo is still showing. That's one of the photos I left alone.

Good news that you got a little rain, just enough to settle the dust, I s'pose. I've also been watering with the sprinkler for hours on end. News report said that this July was the 4th driest on record. August is usually drier than July, and some lawn areas are starting to turn brown. Scattered and isolated T-storms here lately, so I can't depend on the weather forecast for promised rain showers.

Still sending prayers your way for rain...lots of it, so you can take a break from watering and strum more guitar tunes!

Julie

o

Can you play the first eleven notes of El Choclo yet?

J

o

I actually played through the whole song(a loooong while back), but I am very slow at it.

I do like it and have saved it so I can practice it with the rest of the songs you gave me and some others that I wish to learn ...one day.

Thanks again.

Kt

o

I actually played through the whole song(a loooong while back), but I am very slow at it.

Good to hear!
I'm curious though...when you see two notes in the same vertical space, are you playing them together? In other words, are you playing the bass notes with the melody (treble) notes? Or are you just playing the melody notes?

Example: The fourth note of the song (f) has a whole note (a) under it.

The song is actually written in two parts with the melody notes having stems going up, and the bass notes with stems going down. But you prob'ly knew that.

J

o

Yes, I played them together or at the same time.

I wish I was 40 years younger, I think it would be so much easier for me to learn. I would like to get a banjo and an accordian to play again one day.

So much that I want to do, but seems I have less and less time with everything else going on now.

I came home for lunch today, and even though I have barely enough time to eat, I picked the guitar for a bit. Not a true practice session, but if nothing else, it relaxes me.

Kt

o

...I played them together ...

Oh good, because the bass notes add so much to the song.

I wish I was 40 years younger, I think it would be so much easier for me to learn
I don't think age has that much to do with being able to learn faster or not. I think as we get older, we want to do/learn so many things (like having so many irons in the fire,) that we often can't spend as much time as we'd like with ALL our interests/hobbies, because life itself is just so busy at times.

I want so much to put an hour of guitar practice in every day, also get back to my photography studies, also start quilting, catch up on updating my garden lists, & maps...etc., but everything's been put on the back burner for a while.

I've been spending many hours (after work) helping my Mom with notifying agencies, firms, companies etc. of changes in marital status (widowed,) filling out forms, and making phone calls, because at her age she gets confused with all the legal terminology. I'm not complaining, though, because someday I will need the same kind of help when my brain can't comprehend the complicated steps to be taken to file necessary changes.

Seven more months until RETIREMENT:)))))

THEN maybe I will have time to pursue all my hobbies to the fullest.

I came home for lunch today, and even though I have barely enough time to eat, I picked the guitar for a bit. Not a true practice session, but if nothing else, it relaxes me.

Oh, don't I know it! Playing music can sweep you away from the the day's tensions.

Hoping you find more free time to pick/strum in the winter months,

Julie

o

Too many irons in the fire is exactly right.

I guess if I ever get my place set up out at the country with a good home and all my orchards and gardens and everything else going and growing, I may think of retiring from day labour and work just at my place.

Then I would have time for all my hobbies.

Kt

o

o

bump

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Test Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here