Return to the Test Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re: More Guitar Chords

Posted by luvtosharedivs 5a WI (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 3, 09 at 23:18

Glad that thread is still alive, and hasn't been lost in cyber space.

Funny thing, I just got out my guitar before supper and did some finger picking. Need to change strings on all three of my guitars. The nylons ones on my Classical are the worst. The ups and downs in temps and humidity have played havoc on the tuning. But it was fun and soothing to play a few songs anyway.

How 'bout you, Kt, been strummin' any old or new tunes lately?

Julie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re: More Guitar Chords

Yes, I'm starting to have more time to pick and did so last night for a while, but I need to really practice more.

I want to change strings also.

Since I've had a break from watering, I have spent more time working out in the country before the days get too short. When that does happen, then I'll have much more time for things including picking the guitar...can't wait.

Kt

o

I recently bought (online) a piece called 'Appalachian Dreams' by John W. Duarte and played by Sharon Isbin, a great American classical guitarist. I have watched her play several pieces on YouTube and am inspired to really get back into Classical music. It will take me a very long time to get to the point where I used to be when I played in my twenties, but I'm going to try.

I also need to purchase a new Footstool, because the wooden one I have now is heavy to move around, and it's actually too high. An adjustable one should work better. There was nothing like that when I first took lessons. Modern technology is awesome.

Julie

o

Cool! Maybe I should get one...hmmm. I can always build one sometime this Winter.

I'll look into 'Appalachian Dreams'...sounds interesting.

Kt

o

Ya, I bet you COULD build yourself a folding footstool, (with all your building skills), just by looking at something!

That's the way I am with sewing.

Appalachian Dreams is a suite for solo guitar.
It's 12 pages long, and contains many American folk tunes that were brought over by the Irish, but some are indigenously American. For example, 'Shady Grove', 'Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair', and 'Katy Cruel'.
The suite contains nine songs , all specially arranged by John Duarte for classical guitar, and performed by Sharon Isbin on her CD: "Dreams of a World" (which I'd like to get someday.)

There is one song I'm particularly interested in playing, called 'Darling Cora'. According to the program note in the beginning of the music scores, Darling Cora...appears from the lyrics to have been a pistol-packin' mama (and is treated in that spirit.)

You can hear Sharon Isbin play 'Darling Cora' about seven minutes into this Guitar Lesson with Sharon Isbin.

You may or may not want to listen to all her tips and techniques before she plays the song, but if you do watch the whole thing, you will get an idea how I hold my guitar when playing Classical style. My left foot needs to be raised up on a footstool in order to position my guitar correctly...much different that flat pickin'.

That song will take me a very, very long time to learn, since I'm so terribly out of practice. She also has longer fingers than I do, so I may not be able to make all the reaches she does, in which case, I have to adapt the song to my reaching capabilities.

Julie

o

Just trying to keep these similar threads together...somewhat...

J

o

o

Now here is one hobby that I'm trying very hard to dedicate and hour a day practicing lately. That doesn't always happen every single day, but I'd say at least five days a week.

Been playing Silent Night, and a whole variety of other pieces from classical to folk to modern. My left hand is getting stronger, fingers can stretch farther, and skill is improving. Feels great! (both physically and emotionally)

Thanks for bumping this post up!

Julie

o

I only pick up the guitar during my lunch hour if and when I have time. Some days I will get 15 minutes in...not near enough.

Kt

o

Yesterday I spent several hours gathering all my loose sheet music together, and arranging in piles of classical, Spanish, and popular music. I then arranged all alphabetically, punched holes, and filed in ring binders.

Tonight I sat for an hour playing through a few of them, and came across a copy of 'Drift Away'. I have to ask you if I ever gave you a link to that song. It was clearly copied off the internet, because there's a web addy on the bottom.

Anyway, I found a few incorrect chords!!!!!
Wow! I'm amazed I didn't catch that earlier...I must've printed it with the intention of playing it, but set it aside under a stack of other songs. The guy who posted the song forgot to add a sharp sign to the F chord.

It seems that we may have talked about that song in one of our conversations...but I might be imagining things. But let me know if you have a link that I may have shared, so I can let you know of any corrections.

It's nice to have my music arranged in orderly fashion, after years in disarray!

Julie

o

Yes, I remember you posting it and I thought I made a copy of it but haven't found it yet.

I guess that's why it's good to have it all organized like you do! I'll look some more...I'm sure I put it in a safe place where I would remember it would be.:)

Kt

o

Have you picked any tunes lately?

J

o

I pick a little every now and then just to keep my muscle memory up to date. The last time was the other day when it was raining.

I still have problems fingering the chords with my left hand since that muscle problem happened. It tires very quickly so I have to rest often.

Arthritis is also a small problem. I come home from the country with cramped hands whenever I do work out there. I insulated the walls of my little cabin and my hands hurt for quite a while...anyway...

How about you?

Kt

o

From the sound of it, you have been picking more than I have lately! After moving my Mom in, I've been busy attending to her needs, plus continuing the trips to her house to clean out various areas. I also spend as much time as I can outside doing yard/garden clean up. In another month or two it will be too chilly to work outside, and I should be able to pick up my guitar again.

The latest musical instrument I played was the "lost-and-found-flute" that I mentioned in the misc pictures post on the other side. BTW, the flute arrived safe and sound at the Oneida school. The business manager called me and said I "made her day." The school administrator said her faith in people was restored. She offered to reimburse me for postage, but I refused the offer. It was my contribution to the continuing musical education of the Oneida children.

Good to hear you still pick a little, despite the Arthritis. I have Arthritis in my neck. I wish there were a cure!

Happy picking, and be sure to post an updated pic of your cabin work, as I enjoy seeing the progress!

Julie

o

I like the idea of your 'donation'. Yes, there 'are' good people still out there and you are definitely one of them!

There are more important things than finding ways to stuff our pockets or to get recognition for something.

Days are getting shorter so I get inside earlier. Maybe I'll have more time also soon.

Kt

o

Thank-you, Kt, for the kind words.

There are more important things than finding ways to stuff our pockets or to get recognition for something.

I agree. I don't like being in the limelight. I just aim to do what's proper.

Enjoy the time you have outside while you can!

j

o

You're welcome.

A few years ago when I went on a vacation by myself, I was at a restaurant(which I rarely stop at by myself, but they had a live band playing, so...) and a young lady and her daughter drove up in a beat-up car and came inside to eat. They needed a table for two and I was using one by myself so I told the waitress that I would go to the bar and finish eating so they would not have to wait and could have myn table.

The little girl was so well behaved for her age, at least from what I see in kids these days, and was kind of shy. They ate hamburgers which may have been cause they didn't have the money or perhaps it was what they liked, anyway, I told the waitress to give them dessert on my tab but don't tell them that it was from me.

When I left and went to pay, I payed for their complete meal also and again wanted to be anonymous. I went outside and waited in my truck, knowing that they would soon be leaving. I saw the Mom try to pay, and after a lengthy discussion, she tried to hand the cashier some money which she would not take.

The smile on the little girls face was priceless as they walked out of the restaurant. The Mom was looking around maybe trying to see if the person who payed for them was still around and she might recognize them from their actions.

A similar situation happened to one of my sister-in-laws several years ago when she was with her two daughters.

Now, I don't consider myself rich by any standard and who knows they may have been millionaires several times over even being under-dressed liked they were, but it made me happy if nothing else. Hopefully, something they will always remember and always wonder who...?

BTW, how is your Mom doing?

Enjoy the time you have outside while you can!

Supposed to be 90F by the weekend. Putting up paneling in my little camphouse as time permits. I want it warm in there this Winter and comfortable in case I need to live there for a few weeks.

Kt

o

I sure enjoyed reading about your "anonymous gentleman" story. What a blessing you were to that young lady and her daughter. I'm sure they will remember that mysterious situation for the rest of their lives, and chances are, the young woman will pass the blessing on to someone else in the future.

Thanks for asking about my Mom.
She has settled in nicely to her new room in our home. It took a long time for us to sift through her belongings at her house, deciding what to bring to our house, and what to give or throw away. I still have a mountain of stuff to go through, but that would take to long to explain.

She just turned 90 in early Sept. and we had a nice party for her here with 9 candles on her cake. She has a heart murmur due to narrowing of her heart valve, but no pain or discomfort due to that condition. It's something to watch, though. I give her a Fentanyl patch every three days for the Lumbar Stenosis (sp?) in her back. She keeps her mind sharp by doing crossword puzzles, jigsaw puzzles, and playing Scrabble almost every day with me.

She really is very easy to care for, never complaining, and always liking the food I prepare (puree) for her.

I just went to a dinner/meeting with the Racine Garden Club tonight and many members asked about her. A couple of them told me that it's a wonderful thing that I'm doing for her. I just simply say she's easy to care for and I might need the same kind of care someday.

A neighbor of my Mom's has elderly inlaws living next to them. One day he told me he wondered why God keeps elderly people on Earth so long when they can't do much anymore. He thinks it's possibly that God wants to see what we (children/relatives) will do (sacrifice) for their care.

My main prayer every day is asking God, "Please don't let me be weary in well doing for my Mom." He has answered my prayers time after time. I couldn't do all this in my own strength. It takes constant renewing of God's help.

Re: playing guitar again...I'll have to wait until my finger tip heals, since I sliced the left middle finger with a garden clipper....my own stupid self infliction through carelessness!

Julie

o

Glad to hear that your Mom has adjusted well and I'm sure she feels very welcome at your house.

Yes, God gives us the strength to do many things but you have to have a kind heart to begin with.

I think she is very fortunate to have you there for her.

My sister-in-law(the same one mentioned above) lost her father about a year ago and she and my brother spent countless weekends driving to San Antonio to haul all of the belongings home. He was an interesting man who fought and flew in the Air Corps in WWII. He was a big military man and had countless interesting stories to tell. Another story for another time. He left some very expensive pistols to my brother but he said they should stay in the family and gave them to some other family members who really wanted them.

Anyway, I guess we all go through the same routines at some point(s) in our lives.

...I sliced the left middle finger...

Me stupid too. I was using a pruning folding saw which are razor sharp, to cut limbs off of some bamboo culms and even though it happened before, I did it again, I cut my left thumb next to the nail very deeply.

It hurt but didn't keep me from picking although I have no time lately. I've been trying to get up to the church cemetery at Hostyn to clean up the plots there for All Souls Day.

...the young woman will pass the blessing on to someone else in the future.

I never told anyone about that before now, and yes, she will probably pass it on knowing how it feels to get a gift in kind such as that. Sometimes the mystique(sp?) of the way it was received is enough to pass it on.

I actually think the little girl was more surprised than her Mom. She looked like she just saw Santa Claus. Her actions and eyes were big when they were being told and they both had a smile from ear to ear as they walked out.

Kt

o

Your pruning saw sounds much more dangerous than my clippers!
We need to be more careful with our sharp tools.

I can fully relate to the story about your SIL and brother and all the work they did after her father's passing. My parents' house is full of 56 years of accumulation, and they were the kind that never threw anything away!!! As I bring things up from my Mom's basement, I show her things that should be given away or simply thrown out, and sometimes she can't remember where this or that thing came from or what it was used for. Eventually I will have to rent a dumpster, but for now, I've been hauling things in my SUV and taking them to a local dump station. When we get close to putting the house up for sale, I'll enlist the help of family members to haul out the heavy stuff.

Oh...I forgot to ask you...and I hope I'm not being nosy by asking...Re: your camphouse... I want it warm in there this Winter and comfortable in case I need to live there for a few weeks.
I guess I'm curious...why would you have to live there for a few weeks?

Re: Your showing of kindness to the young woman and her daughter...I bet someday, somewhere YOU may receive the same blessing from an unknown "gifter". (You reap what you sow.)

Julie

o

You reap what you sow.

I defintiely agree!

I bet someday, somewhere YOU may receive the same blessing from an unknown "gifter".

I already have on a few occasions mostly when I was vey young, but I have never forgotten.

...why would you have to live there...

Sometimes I type more than I realize. Long days I guess, and I forget about your inquiring mind:).

I have already seen how fast things can go awry. I mentioned in the past, the chaos that was put upon us a few years ago when the people east of here for 150 miles or so, came this direction to escape the oncoming hurricane. It is surprising how little people carry with them and how unprepared they are.

We were only a day or so away from people robbing and looting everything mainly just to sustain themselves. I couldn't blame them for that.

A scenario for example, if electricity should suddenly go out in Houston and surrounding areas, and remain out for only a week, it would be a matter of days before we would be overrun by looters. Most people in the city have less than a couple of days of food on hand since they go out to eat on a daily basis, and many don't put but a few dollars worth of gas in their vehicles at a time.

Almost on a weekly basis, now, I hear of someone new who is preparing for disaster by storing food, fuel, ammo/guns, building shelters and even some underground bunkers.

I admit, I think people are getting a little carried away, but most are not worried about a global disaster or something brought on by the wrath of God, but they are concerned about terrorism and what the president is doing to our country. I understand that this is the reason for gold prices to skyrocket since paper money would be of no use under some circumstances.

Personally, I think something very bad is in store for us in the next few years, and very likely in the next few months, but I do not dwell on it but I guess it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

Take a moment and think of what you would direly need if you suddenly had no electricity or gasoline to travel anywhere. What everyday items would you suddenly consider priceless? Tootpaste? Toilet paper? Aspirin? Drinking water? Salt? Prescription drugs? Soap? Everyday items that we take for granted could make life miserable if without them. Think about it...

Something else to consider is the fact that once power is restored, it would take days/weeks to get anywhere close back to 'normal'. Gas stations could take weeks to get fuel delivered and getting food would be chore in itself. All the stolen vehicles and other commodities could take months or years to resolve.

I am in an area where people always are prepared for the worst, and faith in our president, unfortunately, is gone. The general overall concensus is that he is selling out this country and making it easy for terrorists. I agree to some extent, especially when our top official wears a ring ALL of the time that says, "The only God is Allah". Sorry, don't get me started.

Now I hope I don't sound like a crazed survivalist, however, I already am offgrid at the country. I have water, electricity, a place to keep warm or out of the cold, a young orchard, a place for a garden, a place to fish & hunt, and a set-up to cook and smoke meat...but this has been a dream of mine since I was a kid, and who knows...it may be just in time.;) Anyway, that is what I meant by staying there for a few weeks. Long enough answer?:) I think the correct urban term is, TMI ?

Kt

o

I forget about your inquiring mind.
I have to watch myself sometimes, that I don't come across as being snoopy. But I enjoy hearing about other people's plans and goals.

Yes, I remember your posting about the unprepared people coming from the East, escaping the hurricane, and the danger of looting.

Your preparedness concerning a good store of supplies reminds me of my Dad, and all the things he had stored for emergencies. My mom put up many jars of canned goodies, so they were well stocked. I have enough food to last for a while, but not enough for several weeks. And thanks for reminding me about a drinking water supply! Mine is getting low...I need to restock.

Too Much Information? No, not at all! It all makes good sense, and thanks for taking the time to share.

... our top official wears a ring ALL of the time that says, "The only God is Allah".
That's the second time today I heard that!
My Mom was the first to tell me. She had been watching a Christian TV station last night and the program included a talk about our president and the emblem on his ring. I really worry about his lack of interest in Israel. Any nation that is against Israel, especially in the "end times" will be headed for disaster. (There is a Bible verse for that, but I'm too tired to look for it now...maybe I'll search for it in the next few days...Oh, and BTW, I don't want to come across as a Bible banger, but I simply remember certain things from study groups I've taken part in many years ago.)

Anyway, good for you, being able to live offgrid at your country place. You've worked hard for it, and deserve a safe place to survive in the event of an unexpected emergency. I just hope this country doesn't fall into a deeper hole than it is already. The USA is in dire need of healing.

Oh....you forgot to mention your GUITAR in survival supplies!:)

Julie

o

Don't worry, you never come across as being snoopy.

Also, no problem with the Bible verses either. Bible bang all you want! It is very welcome in these trying times, and any time for that matter. I like you mentioning verses but unfortunately my memory from my Bible readings, mostly from my childhood are quite lacking. I need to spend more time re-reading what I have forgotten.

...you forgot to mention your GUITAR...

Ha! Yes, forgot to mention, but I did not forget it! One of them is already out at the country. I like the total quietness out there and the sound it produces there. Very relaxing.

Also, a couple of days ago, I picked it out on the deck and one, then two deer came walking out from around some youpons. The first had a look one her face like, what in the heck is that? Got a chuckle out of that sight.

Kt

o

I dug out my notes from about thirty years ago and found the passage I was referring to in my previous post.

The verses are from Genesis 12:1-3, specifically v. 3.
(from the NIV Bible)

1 The LORD had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you. 2 "I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. 3 I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you."

Now, this is what was taught in the Bible study I took part in...
Abram is the father of Isaac, who is the father of Jacob, (who was later named Israel.)
Without going into a lengthy detail, Abram (later named Abraham by God,) is the "father" of all the Jews and the Jewish nation, (all Abraham's "seed".) Therefore, blessings or curses are given to all those people or nations that bless or curse Israel.

BTW, Not everyone agrees with this teaching. Some interpret Gen 12:3 as talking about Abram (Abraham) alone, and not his descendants.

You could do a Google search on the subject and get many different views.

Guitar...One of them is already out at the country. I like the total quietness out there and the sound it produces there. Very relaxing.
Playing your guitar without distractions is very relaxing, indeed, especially outside, in the cool of the evening. I'll bet the two deer that heard you were in awe of the beautiful music you were making.

My fingertip is healing to the point to where I'm itching to play again. I will need to build up my calluses little by little, and strengthen my wrists.

Julie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Test Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here