Return to the Test Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scanning Old Pictures

Posted by luvtosharedivs 5a WI (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 26, 09 at 23:44

My Dad, about 12 years ago.

On the back of this picture, my Mom wrote,
"This is as close as she got to hugging and kissing, after she said she would." Julie, about 5 yrs. old

My Dad often took us fishing in Lake Michigan.
This is my prize perch...Julie, age 4

My Dad bought land first, farmed it, then built a garage, then the house.
Mom & me starting the garden...well, I guess I'm just playing in the dirt.

Going backwards in time:
Mom & Dad as bride & groom (The picture was originally black & white, and oil paints were added later.)

Further back in time:
Model T Ford in front, don't know what's following it.
My Grandma is in the front seat, and my Mom (as a little girl) in the back seat. The story behind that picture is a trip to California because all the children (who lived up north in Washington,) all had Whooping cough. So they had to be taken South for the winter until the Whooping stopped. Guess they weren't vaccinated in those days.

Further back in time:
1920-ish(?)
My maternal grandparents, who were a barrel of laughs, but not for this photo.

And further back in time, also my favorite scanned photo of this bunch, this is another photo that was originally black & white, but was "colorized" by a professional Photography Studio, then touched up by me in a Picture Editing program. I wish I knew the story behind the shotguns. All I know is, I wouldn't want to be caught tresspassing on their farm if I were a stranger back then!
My paternal Grandparents, sometime between 1910-1920.

Hey, all you regulars, would you please share your photos, old or new?

Julie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scanning Old Pictures

That picture of you and your mother starting a garden brought back a memory. My mother wore a bandanna like that also.

I got to figure out how to connect my Mac to this PC laptop, another project today.

Thanks for the photos Julie, they were great.

Bernie

o

Very nice composition of photos and stories! They are all very nice photos.

As I mentioned before, taking a picture is like keeping the past with you in the present.

It doesn't take but a second to snap a picture, but it will last forever...a moment froze in time.

Those are very nice, thanks for sharing them here!

Kt

o

Thanks, both of you.

I'm hoping you both (and other posters) will share your photos here soon!

Julie

o

o

What an absulutely beautiful song and video, Kt!

It is rare that a couple can last a life time of togetherness these days. And a rich "heritage" of photos can bring great great grandchildren in touch with their ancestors along with the stories that can be handed down.

My Mom has kept records and journals of events that happened since she was a girl, and I intend to keep that heritage alive with continued photos with lots of information writen on the backs.

Still hoping for more old (or recent) photos from the rest of you folks...

Julie

o

What treasures, Julie. And nicely put together. Thanks for sharing them.

I think I was robbed, though. I had whooping cough in 1950 and got sent to my room, not California! Poor Mom had a 3 month old baby when I came down with it, in a 5 room apartment. And the doctors still made house calls. (Imagine being too sick to go to the dr. now.) Don't know if it could be called epidemic that year, but there was a little banner across the top of newspaper every day stating how many had died from it. They did the same with Polio later on with new cases.

I enjoyed "Remember When" too KT. Seems even relationships have changed.

o

Thanks, Sandy.
Sorry to hear about your "missed trip to CA."
Glad to hear you survived Whooping cough, though...must've been one awful disease!

Do you have any photos to share?

Julie

o

Wish I had this copier/scanner hooked up. Need to get a round tuit. Used to be able to plug the dang things in and go, now there's a tiny box (tiny print) on it with instructions. Too small,fast and hard to read.

Yes, I have pics I'd love to scan/share. I'll get on it soon.

o

I was just looking around online, and there are a few places that will sell you a round tuit. I can't report on the quality of round tuits from these websites, because I haven't gotten around to buying one yet.

Kalecoauto

Ituit

The seller of the "Original Round Tuit"

Hope this helps. Or, at least, gives you a good laugh.

-Jmcat

o

Old Family Picture

Here is one of the old pics I received the other day. It is a family photo of my Greatgrandmonther, my Grandfather and Grandmother, my Grandfather's brother and sister and their spouses along with their children at that time.

On the far left is my Greatgrandmother. Next to her is my Grandfather and then my Grandmother.

On the middle of the pic is one of my Grandfather's brothers and his second wife. he has a beard and mustache.

On the right of the photo is my grandfather's sister and her husband. All are surrounded by their children at that time.

My 100 year old aunt is the first little girl on the left. She is the only one still living out of all of those in the photo.

The house is still standing today and belongs to a relative who keeps it in excellent condition. The old barn and cellars are still there also. There are records written on the inside of the barn of how much cotton was picted by the children. My Mom's name is still there with tally marks under it for her efforts.

The picture needs some work and I will post a 'cleaner' pic once the job is done.

Kt

o

What a marvelous photo, Kt!

I opened two browsers, so that I could read your historical narration while looking at the photo in another window. Can you imagine how challenging it was for the photographer to get all those people to sit or stand still so he could "shoot" them? I think the exposures took a long time back then, thus the smileless faces.

What a rich history and geneology is stored in that photo! Did you ever ask your 100-yr-old aunt how much cotton she picked?

What is that contraption on the porch on the left side...could it be some kind of porch swing?

I think those old houses were built better (to last) than the houses that are built now-a-days. I know many people who would rather buy a century-old house than one of today's homes, because some people are into restoring and refinishing.

I know there are professionals that can restore old photos, but I bet you can do it just as professionally with the great photo-editing programs that are available.

Thanks so much for sharing part of your heritage!

Julie

o

Thank you, Jule.

Oh, and the photo was taken between 1912 and 1914. Sorry about the explanation and not having the pic there...I didn't want to clutter up the page with open pics, even though I knew it would be difficult to follow.

...to get all those people to sit or stand still...thus the smileless faces.

Funny that you mention that, since I thought the same thing.

If you look closely or zoom in on their faces, the little boy next to my aunt(Uncle Frank), has a blurred face...apparently he got restless or distracted and moved during the exposure. He is looking off to the right.

Also, my cousin in the right of the pic is apparently shy, and partly hiding behind her older sister. She has a smile on her face.

Did you ever ask your 100-yr-old aunt how much cotton she picked?

Not really. Cotton picking is not something that any of us really care to talk about or joke about. It was hard work. I do know that she picked a lot in her years at home.

What is that contraption...some kind of porch swing?

Yes, that's a porch swing.

I think those old houses were built better...

Yes, I agree for the most part. Here, the big problem is termites and wood ants, but insecticides can eliminate and repel them. The house in the photo is my Grandpas.

It's big business here to salvage old barn and house wood since it has better grain to the wood and it is very valuable.

I was looking at another piece of land that has several old barns and an old house on it. The money I could make by selling the old wood and tin could make a heafty payment on the land...if only I was younger.

Old rusty roofing tin(corrugated sheet metal) is more expensive than brand new tin!

It may be a while before I get around to restoring the photo, but having a professional do it can get quite expensive.

Also, I have a chest-of-drawers that my Grandpa built around the time that that pic was taken and was used in that house.

It was at my aunt's house when she went to the nursing home and was given to me. I have plans to restore it one day.

Here is another pic of my aunt and here husband, taken in the 1930's. I was told it was a wedding photo. I'll have to find the exact date.

Wedding Photo.

Kt

o

Now that wedding photo looks to be in very good shape!
I wonder if the photographer balanced the picture (on purpose) with the flowers on the lower right and those on the upper left. Sometimes I feel that black and white photos have more "texture" than color photos, and I have no idea why. I love her shoes.

Now you've got me confused about your aunt (who is the little girl on the far left, looking to be about 3-5 yrs old,) and then there's your cousin, who you say is hiding behind her older sister. That cousin looks to be 8-10 yrs old. I know it's possible, but I would think your cousin would be much younger than your aunt. Or maybe it's a second-cousin-once-removed type of relation? Do you know what I mean? My mom had a great way of explaining once-removed and twice-removed, ect. on paper, so I could see the levels in generations. Now have I got YOU confused? Back in those days, people had very large families, where Moms could still be having babies years after their babies were having babies. That would explain how your cousin could be older than your aunt, I guess.

I bet that cedar chest was made well (with the best of woods) by your Grandpa. I have an old cedar chest that was made by my Grandpa. Also have a wardrobe that my Dad made for me when I was little...never has needed a bit of repairing. Today's makes of Chests are flimsy and fall apart in ten years or less. You'd have to purchase from a true craftsman and pay a big price to get good quality furniture. West of here, especially in Iowa, you can find great furniture crafted by the Amish. I've never priced any of their furniture, but I'm sure it's expensive, but made to last.

That's interesting about the rusty corrugated roofing tin being worth more than today's brand new tin. Could it be that the old tin is thicker and still stronger than the newer kind?

This sure is fun, sharing old photos!

Any more?

Julie

o

Or maybe it's a second-cousin-once-removed type of relation?

Yes, I understand what you mean. Generally speaking, everyone in that photo is a relative of mine, and all are blood relatives except for my Grandpa's brother's wife and his sister's husband. Did that make sense?

I never understood the one/twice removed thing. A 1st cousin is my Uncles/Aunts children. Second cousin would be the next generation.

My Granpa's brother would be a Great Uncle I guess...not sure what their kids would be...other than cousins.

We have an old cedar chest that was made by my other Grandpa from a cedar tree that he cut off of our old homeplace. The stump was still there the last time I looked about 18 year ago or so.

Could it be that the old tin is thicker and still stronger than the newer kind?

Not a big difference, if any, but people are paying good money for rustic looking things. The antique business is booming.

They use the old tin to use as ceilings in new houses/camphouses, etc. Also, it is used for walls of new barns to make things look old. There is a type of acid that is used to speed up the oxidation of new tin after it is sprayed with the acid, but it doesn't quite have the character as the truly old tin.

I have another pic that I will post soon of the church choir. It consists of only 8 people...my Grandfather, his brother, his sister and her husband, and four others, two of whom I'm not sure of their ID.

The first pic was probably taken after a church function or mass since they all attended the same nearby church and since they comprised half of the choir.

My uncle Frank sang in the choir for 77 years, only stopping after he could no longer climb the stairs to the balcony in back of the church.

Kt

o

I'm reading your recent post rather late here, can hardly keep my eyes open, much less make my right brain communicate smoothly with my left brain.

I'll try and explain the once/twice removed thing tomorrow, or sometime soon, when I'm more alert.

Looking forward to seeing the church choir photo!

Julie

o

Jule, I had noticed my aunts shoes also. Pretty stylish looking shoes for back then, they could probably sell those today.

The choir pic is simply taken outside, and in front of someone's home.

Back row: My Grandpa, his sister, and her husband...just below and to the right of him is his sister.
Front row center, is one of my Grandpa's brothers and on either side of him are two unknown people, but I can probably find out who thay are.

On the far left is the Grandmother of a guy that I grew up with and used to hang out with. I never knew we had ancestors who were 'friends'.

Before you ask, I'm not sure what that is on the porch, on the right side of the choir. It appears to be a bench.

Choir

Kt

o

O.K. I'm more awake now.

When it comes to explaining cousins, there are very few people who refer to once or twice or even three times removed, unless you're a person who studies geneology and keeps charts of everything. I've come to understand that people call relations cousins whether they're first, second, third, once removed, twice removed, etc, etc. They're either cousins or distant cousins/relatives of some sort.

Rather than me trying to explain it all, I found a site that explains it very well with a simple diagram.

Make sure you click on the link to the song when you get down near the bottom of the explanation.,,,(in the paragraph that starts, Of course, this is all perfectly straightforward...) It's a cool song, and maybe you've already heard it.

Julie, who's probably related to you by a common ancestor...if you go all the way back to Adam & Eve;)

o

You were posting while I was typing (I'm slow.)

Very nice choir picture! Those small choirs are so nice to listen to, because you can almost pick out people's voices by watching them mouth their words. My Mom's church choir is about that size, and I can always tell who's singing soprano, alto, tenor, and bass.

I enjoy studying the old dresses and intricate patterns on them. If the ladies back then could see what some ladies wear today, I'm sure they'd be blushing!

Thanks for sharing!

Julie

o
RE: Scanning Oldbb Pictures

Thanks, Jule!

I'll look at that website later when I have more time.

Seems all of my family, particularly my Mother's side, were very musical. Everyone played an instrument(or several) and most sang in choirs.

One of the closest memories is of three if my uncles singing in Czech at my Grandfathers(their Father's) funeral.

That had to be sooo hard for them, but it was beyond description, the feeling that was put into their voices, and the way it made me feel. I'll never forget that.

o

OK, I'm back again. I just viewed that website, and it is a bit confusing at first on how it is explained, but basically, that is what I thought was meant by 'once' or 'twice' removed...etc.

Thanks for finding that. I will re-read it again and give it time to completely soak in.

I like that song, and remember hearing it several years ago. Pretty catchy tune and confusing, but I guess he would be his own Grandpa under those circumstances.

Thanks again!

Kt

o

Just moving this up to remind myself that I have a pic from an old newspaper to scan sometime soon and post here.

J

o

My Mom is constantly going through closets, drawers and shelves, finding things to give or throw away. She came across a very old newspaper with a YWCA article and picture announcing guitar classes. I couldn't scan the whole picture (not enough room on my small scanner.) There were more students in the class than what you see in the pic.

During my college days I worked one night/week at the "Y", and taught privately on the other week nights, plus Saturdays. To this day, I don't know how I ever managed to find time to study for college classes. Had more energy then, I guess.

You can see the old Alvarez guitar I used (which was stolen about 15 years ago.

YWCA guitar class

Julie

o

Great pic, Jule! Isn't it great to find forgotten photos like that, even if they are on newspaper?

Your stolen Alvarez looks better than the one I have. Do you mind if I ask where it was stolen from?

Thanks for sharing that pic!

Kt

o

Thanks!

And you're welcome.

After seeing that picture, I remember getting a glossy photo copy of the same scene, but the photo has since disappeared. I'm glad my Mom found it, so I can show my grandchildren.

I sure did like that Alvarez. The large dreadnought shape produced a loud sound, great for accompaniment.

It was stollen from our home when we lived in Racine. Two other guitars were also stolen, along with a camera, and a few of DH's rifles. We think we know who took them, but could never prove it. Our insurance company at the time thought we were most unusual people, because we didn't want money for the stollen items, we simply wanted everything replaced! I remember the agent at the time saying that his agency could get the items replaced much cheaper than if I would try to buy/replace everything myself.

The Alvarez was considered a vintage instrument, so it was replaced with a reproduction of a Gibson Hummingbird, the closest they could come to the Alvarez with the dove on the pick guard. The Gibson shape is also a dreadnought.

The other two stollen guitars were a 12-string and a nylon classical. They were both replaced with better instruments than I originally had.

Haven't been able to play much the last couple of days because of cracks in the tips of my fingers....happens every year in the winter, especially with all the cleaning I've been doing lately...(hands constantly in water and harsh cleaners...getting the house spruced up for the holidays...)

Julie

o

Sad about all of the stolen things. Robberies are becoming more common here, which is another story.

I like the look of that Alvarez you had. Very pretty.

Kt

o

bump

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Test Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here