Return to the Test Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shaping a 25 year old maple

Posted by nomowyard 5 Mich. (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 8:03

Nearly 25 years ago, I couldn't help but save a little twig of sapling and transplanted it to my front yard. Unfortunately my choice of location, in those younger years, placed the tree just below the power lines of my neighborhood. Every few years the power company butchers the top to make way for these lines. Today my little tree is nearly 15 inches around at the trunk and it's canopy spreads the width of my lot. I have kicked around the idea of trimming off the top, below the lines, to a rounded shape similar to an African rain tree. The upper branches that would get cut away are 6-8 inches diameter, the main verticals. I'm not sure how much stress would this would put on the tree. Has anyone heard of or seen this done to what i'm pretty sure is a silver maple, here in the great lakes state, or anywhere for that matter? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shaping a 25 year old maple

Yes, it can be done. If your tree has the Apical dominance gene, then it has probably long been removed and the tree will always grow outward making it look bushy.

You may have to re-shape it every few years to keep it's looks.

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Test Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here