Click for Penfield, New York Forecast

Sherry

Click for Richardton, North Dakota Forecast

Little Bernie

Click for Vostok, Antarctica Forecast

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weather XVIII

Another good use for snow, any color... sure goes a long way toward ending drought.

I agree with Sandy. You could use our snow, even that yellow snow.

o

Don't eat yellow snow!

We got a brief break from freezing temps the last couple days. Got heavy winds instead, up to 50 mph gusts. Empty recycle & trash bins often blow across the countryside, never to be found by the owners again.

Our driveway is solid ice. The neighbor girl couldn't get up the slippery hill, so her dad came and tossed salt under the tires, which didn't work at all. He finally kicked her out of the car so he could back up and make a run for it. Success!

Next week promises more freezing temps, even below zero at night:( When will this end?!?!??

Julie

o

Short sleeves weather for the last few days. Taters are coming up and doing fine.

However, some nut in Michigan left the door open again and now we are down into the mid 30's and there may be a frost by morning. I had to cover my spuds so that I don't lose them.

Should be up into the 60's tomorrow though, and then 70's to 80's after that. Hopefully that's it for this years cold weather. If not, I will be headed to Michigan with a hammer and nails to close that door permanently.

Stay warm all you Yanks.... :))

Kt

Here is a link that might be useful: Weather XVII

This post was edited by kentuck_8b on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 21:32

o

Wind chill advisory this morning:
-15 to -25F due to Arctic air moving into the region.

-4F predicted for a low tonight, probably setting a record for this date.

Coldest winter in 20 years:(

A local middle/elementary school caught on fire during the night and fire fighters had to evacuate the building after part of the roof collapsed. Freezing temps caused ice to form inside the school from all the water pumped during the night hours. That school won't be open again for a long time.

Julie, yearning for Spring...

o

I will be headed to Michigan with a hammer and nails to close that door permanently.

When you come, wear a short sleeve shirt so I know it's you. You'll stick out like a sore thumb.

Four below!! They are talking about 10-14 below for us. I just looked at the temp gauge and it's 8 below now. And it surely has been windy this winter also. If we get 2 or 3 more inches of snow, we will be in second place for the most snow. 1951-52 we had 132 inches of snow.

Time to put on my "Michigan Blood" (logo) short sleeve shirt otherwise I might get cold.

Take care and leaving the door open......ahhh the fresh air.

Bernie

o

OK, 6 degrees, icy slick roads, and my furnace is making loud whining sounds. I turned it off . Called 8pm, and got an appt between midnight to 3am! And that is with a big company with lots of trucks/employees.

Going on midnight I rescheduled for 9-12AM tomorrow. I know it will be dang cold in here tomorrow but I'm sure to feel better after sleeping and in daylight. Just can't do this in the middle of the night.

Been without heat/ electricity for several days before and that was really bad, but having electricity changes things. Gots me a few heating pads, a little electric throw blanket somebody gave one of the kids years ago(barely heats), and the best soft fuzzy hot pack thing that goes into the microwave and around your neck (or from ear to ear when you're cold).

Not even cold yet, but did just start sneezing. Going downstairs to warm this MW thing once more, turn off the lights down there and get to bed before I get cold. Yeah, we love this stuff!

If KT mentions short sleeves anytime soon, I swear I'll hunt him down and thrash him with my neck warmer.

o

Sandy, hope your house is warm and cozy while you are having lunch. I can't imagine being without heat especially with the temps that were are experiencing.

Officially we got down to -12 but at the house it was -18. We are also in second place as far as snowfall for the year with 107.3 inches. They are expecting 1-4 inches Saturday.

Leaving the back door and front door open for you know who.

Bernie

o

How do you know it's that cold there? Thermometers here only read down to +20F.

Due to a 'no name unmentionable'.... I had to find my coat and wear it the last two more mornings. This afternoon, though, was warm and short sleeves weather.

I got home from work and actually broke a sweat. Hard to tell which trees are dead from the drought years and which ones are just winter dormant. My apple trees started blooming last week, and now my plum trees are starting to bloom.

I hope tomorrow is short sleeves weather since I've had enough of the cold. Coldest Winter I can recall here.

Stay warm and safe all you northerners... Next year y'all can spend the Winter down here in Texas.

Kt....headed to the hills now to get away from the neck warmer strangler...

o

Furnace installers have been here since 9am. They say pretty soon. Cant feel my toes or fingers. You should se how many typos I had to fix.

He just called me-- turning it on, I will smell burning, smoke det might go off. Oh, boy! Prettu soon. Yup

o

How do you know it's that cold there? Thermometers here only read down to +20F.

My thermometer goes down to -50F and up to +120F. Are you sure that you are reading it right. Maybe the Sun and warm temperatures are getting to you. And yes we can see the small lettered "short sleeves". You should white it out so we don't see it.

Next year y'all can spend the Winter down here in Texas.

Can we bring some snow down with us. We might get homesick.

Did you get some rain I think it was Friday?

Take it easy Kt.

Furnace installers have been here since 9am.

Sandy, you had a new furnace put in or did they repair the old one. If they put in a new one that's pretty good service considering they are very busy right now.

In Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids they are telling people to let their water faucet run for the next 2 weeks at no bigger than a pencil stream. They say the frost is down to 5 feet and they are having a tough time keeping up with the repairs. A backlog of 2 weeks is not uncommon. Their water bill will be adjusted. Don't know how they are going to figure that out.

Take care everybody, Bernie.

o

Wow Sandy, That was fast service, for sure!
You know, I'd rather have no heat for a short period of time than go w/o AC. You can always add layers to stay warm, but you can only take off so much to get cool.

Sounds like that thing you put in the microwave is what I have, called a 'bed buddy', but mine is not fuzzy. Maybe you have a "Cadillac" version of what I have.

...they are telling people to let their water faucet run for the next 2 weeks at no bigger than a pencil stream.
My neighbor had to call a plumber last week because pipes froze outside somewhere underground. Someone flushed the toilet and everything came back up and ...yuck! A hole had to be drilled to suck everything out, and he had to run hot water for a while. Neighbor told be I should run my hot water for an hour in case my pipes are in danger of freezing. I ran hot water for 45 minutes until the water ran cold just in case. Another neighbor who's been living in the country for 25 years said that has never happened to him. You just never know who will be blessed with freezing pipes.

We northerners must start making plans to set up camp next winter @ Tex's house. I'll start freezing snowballs to take with:)

Julie

o

Fast! OMG, fast?! This was a really long 2 days. Yes it is a new furnace. I knew it was time to replace it, but we've both had so many health distractions the past few years that suddenly it was 29 years old, still purring like a kitten until, suddenly, it was not. The plan was to get a few companies estimates in the Spring, but we didn't make it.

I'm so sorry for the people there waiting weeks for repairs/replacements in both your cities. Your temps are running colder than ours, probably for longer. I did run a little water stream last night. The night before( when it first went out) I tossed a heating pad into the kitchen sink cabinet (radio home repair guys recently said a light bulb would have prevented frozen pipes) but it was one of the ones that turns off after a while, so I lucked out. Nothing froze.

I'm ready for a trip to good ol' Texas next winter. Plenty of "good packin" here to add to Julies.

That fuzzy neck warmer is for sore muscles. $5. at Aldi's. in one of their specials.

This post was edited by breenthumb on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 18:38

o

It's unbelievable that we still have new snowfalls/flurries almost daily...2 more inches this morning. Temps are still below freezing, but the snow is melting on our roof, dripping onto my garbage cans and snow shovel, refreezing and coating all with ice ...had to move the cans and bring my shovel into the kitchen to thaw. Looks silly sitting there.

Here's a garden tip for Spring:

My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view. -H. Fred Ale

j

o

Guess I'll have to add on this Summer for all the guests I'll have next Winter. :)

We had an ice storm last week, the worst I can ever remember having here. A lot of broken trees and bushes and electricity was out in some areas. My potatoes survived though. That's twice I had to cover them since they sprouted.

Great gardening tip, Jule! And true, if you think about it.

Here's my gardening tip....

Don't plant anything while snow is on the ground... -Kt

Kt

o

Guess I'll have to add on this Summer for all the guests I'll have next Winter. :)

I hope you have a pickup truck because I'm bringing my 8 foot tobaggon with me......weeeeeeeeeeee

It looks like Kt might be getting some rain (3-10-14) this evening.

o

A beautiful taste of Spring today, and now time to batten down the hatches again. Predictions seemed surreal as they kept coming over the car radio. Got my giant salt lick of a car washed for the first time this winter.

If coming weather is as bad as predicted, there won't be much travel tomorrow. It's a big one...maybe. Two of the local school districts have already called a snow day. Are they doing that in your areas too, Julie and Bernie?

o

Two of the local school districts have already called a snow day. Are they doing that in your areas too, Julie and Bernie?

We only had maybe an inch of snow in the Greater Grand Rapids area so the kids had school. From Kalamazoo to Detroit they had 4 to 8 inches of snow. Don't know about school closing in those areas. I would say the upper Northeast of USA will probably get a foot or more at least that is what they are saying on local TV at noon. It should be a wet snow also.

"Haboob in Texas"? Had to read the article to find out what a haboob was. Maybe Kt will tell us what's happening there.

Bernie

o

We're clear here, Sandy.
1-3" of snow was predicted yesterday, but whatever we got melted on the way down. Temps were just high enough to prevent the flaky stuff. You are so funny Sandy, driving a giant salt lick around. My vehicle is full of drips and streaks of sprayed dirty water. Every time I go to a car wash, there are a dozen cars waiting in line, so I keep putting it off.

We've actually had a big meltdown of snow, and can see bare ground! Lots of mud around here. Chicago wasn't so lucky.

The school kids here are off for Spring break. Yes, I know it's still winter, but their logic is that they will have free reign of all the vacations spots, because no one else is off for Spring break. My oldest g-daughter is in Italy with some classmates and her History and Art teachers. I can't wait to hear about the mixup in credit card use...something to do with the exchange of American money to Euros.

Julie

o

When is it going to warm up. Average temps are 48 but we only made it to 24 today.

Just bumping also.

o

This must be the winter of our discontent.

o

75F @ 7pm here.... Nice day but a little windy. So far we have plenty of rain and I hope it keeps up though the Summer. Crazy Winter with record number of frosts and below freezing temps.

Every thing is green here and a big change from brown all last Summer.

We will see what summer brings.

Kt

o

So far we have plenty of rain and I hope it keeps up though the Summer.

I am glad that you are getting the much needed rain in your area. I see by the drought monitor that you still are in a moderate drought for your area. Looking at the North Texas/OK area, they are still in the extreme drought. I wish we could send you some of our snow in liquid form to you down there.

Here is a picture that was taken Monday or Tuesday of the field in back of the house. Probably 2 inches on average in snow depth but some grass showing up.

photo DSC_0009_zpsc230f9f1.jpg

Take care Kt, Bernie

o

OK, so someone is content and we Northerners seem to be teetering on the brink. How are those taters coming, KT? Safe planting date here is Memorial Day.

o

Where is everybody????

bumping also

o

I'm here...not sure where everybody else is.

Spring has FINALLY arrived. I've seen it with my own eyes, ears and all other senses. We've finally reached 60 °...it's been soooo long coming...hadn't seen 60 ° since last October.

Rabbits have pruned every vine and shrub in my yard, but they left everything in asymmetrical shapes. All growth needed my attention, but that's nothing new. Happens every Spring.

Last November was so cold, I never finished raking leaves, so there they are...still waiting for me. We usually get strong March winds which conveniently blow the leaves to my neighbor's yard. This year however, found my Autumn leaves safely buried beneath a hefty snow cover that lingered through all of March. So now I either have to get my butt in gear and rake like crazy before the grass starts to grow fast, OR wait until the grass is cutting length and I can mow leaves and grass all together making for an interesting mulchy mess. Hmmmm...any ideas, "expert mower, Bernie"?

It will be a late bloom season for all Spring flowers...I'd say 3-4 weeks behind "average", because of our long cold winter.

How's everyone else faring?

Julie

o

Just about the same mess here, Julie. I think we always tried to get the leaves off the grass to prevent snow mold. So this must be snow mold-- flat layers of compacted leaves suffocating the grass.

We had an awful year here, health wise, so our yard work didn't even make it onto the to-do list before winter took right over. Lots to do.

Oh, and we have a family of possum living out back, near (or maybe even in) our shed. Didn't even think we had them around here. Wonder if the groundhog(s) is still in the burrow under the shed? Haven seen them yet. Hmmm...will they get along? For sure I'll be banging on the shed with a long rake first if I need to go in there.

o

Wunderground has this delightful little feature to pick up nearby PWS, that's personal weather station. Our DMV has one about 200 yards away so I can sit here and watch the weather change every few minutes. Two problems. Wunderground has been formatting for cell phones so they are often out of order and in Carson City, Nv the weather never changes so watching isn't all that much fun. 70s/40s for two weeks now. Will be for another week. Sun. Occasional breeze.

o

Nice overcast cool low humidity day here. Should only reach about 82F which would be great. I have to remove my plants from my greenhouse which should have been done days/weeks ago.

My potatoes are doing great considering they had 3 frosts since they came up. Some look ready to dig but I will wait a few days before doing so. I had to water them yesterday for only the third or fourth time since we had regular rains, but now it is getting dry fast and someone seems to have turned off the faucet.

I hope we do not have another dry Summer.... I won't have any trees left out at the country if we do not get rain. I have lost already into the thousands of cedar trees and as many oaks, and other trees. They just keep dying even after the rains came....

Got to get my camphouse ready for all my northern friends next Winter. Might have to add on to make sure everyone is indoors on the cold nights.

I hope everyone is getting the warmer weather and Spring flowers after that cold north Winter everyone experienced. Our Winter was record setting but nothing like up north...

Kt

o

Sandy, have you gotten rid of the varmints living in/around your shed? I was told by a friend to do the yard work "one day at a time", so I'm passing that along to you...eventually your to-do list will grow smaller. Your health is more important, and top priority over your yard.

Kt, it's always sad to hear about the hundreds, now thousands of trees you're losing from drought conditions. It sounds like you're as far behind as we are doing some chores that should have been done weeks ago. Make sure to show some photos of your taters when they're dug!

We had an absolutely beautiful Easter celebration with family today. We haven't seen such great weather on Easter Sunday in many years. I was able to hide candy/money filled plastic eggs outside....first time in about seven years. The grandkids had fun hunting for them. My son brought his two dogs with, so Taffy took charge keeping them "in check" on her property. Neighbor's dog ventured over to meet the new canine friends, and the four of them got along except for a couple times when Taffy nailed one of them for cutting her off. But I'm getting off track...

This is the weather thread, so.....we hit 79° today!!!!! WOW...had to open windows for fresh air. Hubby got out with the lawn sweeper thing and got up a major amount of leaves (left since last November,) so the grass can finally breath and green up, so there is hope yet for my lawn areas.

Looking forward to a Winter stay at that Texas camp house:)

Julie

o

What a cool or should I say cold spring. Having a hard time getting to 60 degrees. Tulips are late for the Holland Tulip Festival. Some buds are starting to show on the trees.

Bluebirds have 4 eggs in the bird house and the Tree Swallow has been hanging around but not really building a nest yet. Put out the Hummingbird feeder this afternoon. On the migration map, they show them in our area.

Looking forward to a Winter stay at that Texas camp house:)

I hope there is a 100,000 btu furnace in there. I wouldn't want to catch a cold down there.

Take care Bernie.

Just saw the weather sticker and I'm the coldest at 47 degrees.......brrrrrrr

This post was edited by always-beezee on Fri, May 2, 14 at 20:03

o

Getting hot and dry here... sounds like a repeat of the last few years. Have my sprinklers going right now. I keep putting off digging my potatoes since the plants are still showing signs of life and one variety in particular is flourishing yet. I just hope they produced some good sized potatoes this year.

Looks like if everyone shows up here next Winter, someone will have to stay in a tent out in the yard since room is limited inside. So, Bernie, if you are nice, I may move the tent onto my deck and even give you a candle to keep warm in these cold Texas nights. I will have to let everyone know how things are going as far as room goes.

Anyone with extra rain needs to send it here ASAP. Thanks in advance.

Kt

o

How does this work? Will I get this back on the forum?

Edited to say "It worked!."

This post was edited by breenthumb on Fri, May 9, 14 at 23:09

o

No extra rain right now, KT, but there are ruts where the lawn mower got bogged down this week.

The Lilac Festival began today but its been so cold, they are just barely, freshly opened. Great for those like me that go either before or after, without the crowds, to see and smell lilacs instead of hot dogs, etc. Never used to be like this, but now everything is commercial.

o

The Lilac Festival sounds like a great place to go, but you are like me, I tend to stay away from the crowds and spend more time with the natural part of the festival, smelling the flowers. The less people, the better.

o

Our lilacs are blooming sparsely here, Sandy.
The extended winter temps that lingered into Spring damaged many of our shrubs' flower buds. My Forsythia barely bloomed with a few yellow flowers on the lowest branches. It is leafing out nicely though. We're just now seeing Maple trees beginning to leaf out. I'm concerned about many of my shrubs that still show bare branches....some shrubs are showing new growth coming up from the base, so I'm betting I will be cutting dead branches back to almost ground level.

Temps are predicted to dip into the low 30's the rest of this week. Is this really March?!?!?

Maybe I should start making quilts for us for those cold winter nights in Texas.

Julie

o

Yes, we might need those blankets next Summer. It got down to a record low of 48F here last Wednesday! It should be lows in the 60's now.... below 50F is unheard of at this time of the year. I guess as Al Gore said, "Global warming is causing cooler temperatures all over the world.. " Yeah right....

Kt

o

Got lost... had to find it and bring it back...

o

Use a GPS unit or leave M&M's to find yourself back.

o

I think summer got lost! 57F going down to 52. Sitting here with a jacket on and a heating pad on my knees to keep warm. I just won't turn the heat on after Memorial Day.

o

It will get there Sandy. We have finally made it to summer with temps in the upper 70s to low 80s and as you know who would say "Shorts and T-shirt weather".

I will admit that early spring weather hung on for a long time this year. The trees took their time budding out and the flowers were late. Just hang in there and you will be outside in "Shorts and T-shirts".

Bernie

o

We had 0.70in in May! Half again last months rainfall.

o

Use a GPS unit or leave M&M's to find yourself back.
What is a GPS? A Gopher Pounding Stick? I use the stars. I tried M&M's once but the chickens ate them but I was smart enough to follow the chickens home....

o

A better year so far for us down here. We have been about normal on rainfall and I made a cutting of hay the other day...62 roundbales. I hope to get at least 2 more cuttings this year. Temps hover in the low 90's during the day but it is very humid and the other night it got down into the 60's....crazy. I hope everyone else's weather has been tolerable.

Kt

o

So glad to hear that, KT. Wasn't fit for man nor beast, nor plant. You still have some cattle, right? I seem to remember special breeding over generations?

It's gotten pretty pleasant around here. Warm days, cool nights. I love not needing heat or AC.

o

Yes, I started keeping back heifers to build back up my herd size. I only have a fraction of what I used to have but prices are at all time highs...but then so is fertilizer and fuel and feed, so....

Lower half of my hayfield after it was cut.
 photo IMG_8826Small_zps61853309.jpg

I wish we had cool nights every night. I like open windows at night but not when it's hot and muggy outside.

Kt

o

Isn't it amazing what rain will do. That field last year was probably brown in color and now look at it, a nice green.

Glad that things are looking up for the people in your area. After several years of bleak conditions to what you have now, that's great.

Is that the field that you got 62 bales? How many acres is that field? Looks like maybe 10 acres.

It was a cool day here today. I don't think it got up to 65. Felt nice to me.

Take care Kt.

Bernie

o

Yes, that is the lower half of my front hayfield, about 12 or 13 acres. There is some field behind me and behind my house for a total of about 25 or 26 acres. Yes, 62 bales.

I just hope the rains continue....

Kt

o

Only got to 90F here today but high humidity. Getting a bit dry but rain is in the forecast.

o

It's getting Kt like weather around here. Humidity is in the mid 60's might get to low 70's in a day or two. The A/C should get a work-out.

Other than that the weather hasn't been to bad. Getting some rain along with sunshine.

Take care Bernie.

o

The last couple of weeks have been about as near perfect as it gets. Windows open day and night. Took Amtrak train to Albany last weekend to visit sis & BIL and weather was comfortable for sightseeing and porch sitting from morning coffee til skeeters came out at sundown.

Started getting hot/muggy today but then it didn't get bad, so still no AC needed. Think most people here do have AC on, though--they just never open windows. I'm just more comfortable without it if possible.

o

Porch sitting isn't possible here Sandy, unless we douse ourselves with mosquito dope! AC isn't used much here either, except for a few times when air gets thick w/humidity. I need to make it easy to breathe for my 91-yr-old Mom.

Tornado warnings forecast for the Midwest for the next couple of days, although our area might just be borderline threat.

I hear July will be hotter than normal. We shall see.
I haven't had to use my sprinkler on any garden areas yet this year...very unusual, but nice.

J

o

Julie, are you saying there are mosquitoes out all day? What a shame. Maybe the price of not having to water? ( Well, yes, now that I think about it, I had to go out back near the tree line to pick up branches blown here in a wind storm and did get bit up last week.) But not around most of the house or porch.

Thick with humidity is when I use the AC too. But its a fine line between just cool enough and stiff joints. Fans are nice.

o

Yes, Sandy, they are here all day long, because we are surrounded by woodsy areas on three sides, plus a multitude of bushes and of course, my garden areas. And yes, I think the constant moisture is a factor. If the temps dip to below 60° in the evenings, the skeeters disappear.

We are in the middle of a Derecho weather pattern right now.

Julie

o

Wow, Julie. I've never heard of a Derecho weather pattern. Hope you stay safe. Unusual for your area?

It does sound like big wind shears,though, and we've experienced a couple of those (not so big) right in this neighborhood. Strangest thing. Trees down and damage ran right down one side of the narrow highway we're off of, and the other side was untouched. The other (different time) ran down another road and blew over a farm stand and everything in it and left everything else, within sight, untouched.

Again, hope you stay safe and this passes without damage.

o

All is well here, Sandy,
This season is the first time I've heard the weather folks use the Derecho term. For some reason the Racine area was spared of the worst. North, west and south of here were hit harder, with many trees down, and a multitude of power outages. Some Milwaukee areas have been w/o power for two days now.

High winds lasted for about 20 minutes here, downing several small tree branches, and a billion twigs. I spent an hour today picking up a cartfull and have much more lawn area to clear before I can mow.

Julie

o

Glad all is well, Julie. Twigs are a nuisance but doable. I thought I posted this last night, but before submitting I went back to see how Bernies area did and just kept on going. Lots of weather news out there.

o

Seeing a lot of really nice weather in our forecasts. Enjoy! I sure am.

o

We might get to the mid 60's for a high today. Cold front bringing some rain as it passes by. Slowly warming up as the week goes on.

Take care, Bernie

o

Good morning. It's been unusually nice here the past few days. Low humidity and temps in the low 90's. Should get my hay cut today for the second time this year. We have been blessed with continual small rains to keep us green but we are on the dry side overall. Strange weather all over the country and world lately. Does anyone know where Al Gore is?

Kt

o

Really nice here, too. They keep saying mug is coming but so far, yes it's hot but not uncomfortable yet.

Good to hear you're getting enough rain to keep things growing, (and cattle chomping) KT.

o

bump from bottom. Really nice summer here, overall. Hot days, cool nights. What's not to love?

o

bump, bump

This post was edited by breenthumb on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 23:25

o

and bump

o

Really nice summer here, overall. Hot days, cool nights. What's not to love?

Ditto here, Sandy.
We are saving a lot of $$ this year, not having to run the AC at night. We keep it on some days for about half the day. These dog days of August are not bad at all, not what I expected.

J

o

Feeling like Fall! Bit of a nip in the air and really cool nights, now. Hey Al, we didn't sign up for this.

o

100F here now at 6pm. Back to watering but now my water well is out at the country. Hasn't rained in many days and everything is drying up. Things were well as far as rain goes, up to about 3 weeks ago. Now everything is dusty and dying...again. Hope to get my well fixed by Monday evening. Al must be back in the area.

Stay cool everyone.

Kt

o

Well now, today it's already 7:45pm and it's only 97F... go figure...

o

The end of this coming week ( 12th 13th) we are expecting a high in the low 60's. Now I don't mind that cool weather but it seems to be a little early.

On another note, we haven't hit 90 degrees as of yet. The last time that we did not hit 90 was back in 1951.

And where is everybody!!!!!!!

o

We hit 90 on Fri. for the first time this "summer". But, in spite of the frequent rain, or maybe because of it(?), humidity hasn't been bad. I ran the central AC two or three days earlier in the year but after that the evening/morning temps were so low I was able to enjoy open windows.

Yes, it sure has been quiet here. Hope it's just the summer busy times.

o

temps took a nosedive. Wish it was as easy to bump them up as it is this thread. I still need driveway sealing.

This post was edited by breenthumb on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 1:34

o

Got up this morning and it was 66-67 degrees in the house. Time to turn on the furnace. Outside was 42. The furnace came on a couple of time this morning. It's comfortable now in the house.

Put the last of the hummingbird nectar out. Hopefully they will go south for the winter after it's gone.

o

just bumping this up

Wow, Julie is at 45 degrees. Put an extra blanket on.

o

Time to turn on the furnace is right, Bernie!
But very unusual for September...for us Northerners, that is. After all, it's still SUMMER! I had to break the chill in the house several nights last week by turning the thermostat up to 66°.
I still don't believe in global warming.

Julie

o

Oh yes. No question about turning the furnace on last week. But it's gotten really nice again, temporarily.

Today we went on a boat ride along the Erie Canal offered "free" from our health ins. company. We sat up top in the sun and fresh air, being sure to sit or duck down under the low bridges. "Low bridge, everybody down" Weather just doesn't get better than this was.

This whole canal was hand dug/made and boats pulled by mules, along the banks. Commerce flowed. Amazing. These days congress would still be arguing about funding and safety and health issues. Surely there would be a union of mule walk behinders...

Here is a link that might be useful: Colonial Belle

o

I would like to go on the Trent Waterway System one of these days. It goes from Lake Ontario to Lake Huron. I've been to Peterborough and saw it there while on a fishing vacation. Very interesting how their lift system works.

Beautiful weather that we are having. Highs in the upper 70's with lows in the upper 40's. Plenty of sunshine and low humidity. Very little in the way of leaves turning color.

o

I had never heard of the TWS, Bernie, so I Googled. Oh, the memories that map brought back. From early childhood fishing trips with parents in one direction (Hamilton) around the lake the other way to Bellville and beyond as our kids grew.

I spared you and deleted my ramblings, but really enjoyed it. Just gotta say thanks for the memories.

This post was edited by breenthumb on Tue, Sep 30, 14 at 13:41

o

Weather has been really warm here until this morning, a cool front blew in and lowered the temps but also brought us some much needed rain.

o

11PM, it's still 72F and balmy breezes coming through a few still open windows. Very strong winds and gusts today. Temp reached 82!

o

We might get that four letter word for Halloween and breezy too.

o

A good chance for another four letter word tomorrow..."rain"! We need it.

o

Chirp...chirp....chirp.....

o

Kt !!!! You didn't turn into a cricket did you?

Had to shovel snow for the first time this season. Had 2 to maybe 3 inches of the stuff. We've been 15 to 20mdegrees below our average the past 3 to 5 days and it sounds like it's not going to get any better. Maybe in 10 days from now maybe we will see above temps.

Take care everybody, Bernie.

o

Bernie,you and Julie really are in the deep freeze. And its coming this way. Weathermen are so excited they are about dancing. Snowed here but nothing on the driveways or roadways yet. Bridges are iced up, though. Starting early, like last year. You take care, too. And everyone else. Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Test Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here