Click for Scottsburg, Indiana Forecast

Sandy

Click for Penfield, New York Forecast

Sherry

Click for Richardton, North Dakota Forecast

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weather XVI

I remember last year at this time, it was 80*!!!
This year March is hanging on to freezing temps, below normal.
It feels like January. In one month we should have asparagus if soil temps warm up.

Julie

o

I've got corn, potatoes, and onions coming up already.

Kt

o

Few days were really warm here and I was worried--right along with farmers, I'm sure. Sure hope we don't repeat last years weather. Fruit trees budded then froze when weather went back to normal and cut harvest in half.

Always envy that asparagus patch of yours. We had a neighbor across the street who used to grow it an bring it over but he sold and dk if the new ones turned it back into grass.

o

That's normal here for TX. We get budding and blooming only to get a freeze and kill everything off. Sometimes more than once, which will sometimes drain a plant of it's stored energy and kills it.

Other than last year, I can't remember a year when It didn't happen.

Kt

o

Sounds like weather has gone backwards between here and Tx.

o

Nice warm balmy calm clear bright sunshined filled day.

Kt

o

Darn Winter keeps hanging on and hanging on.
1.5" of snow accumulation is predicted for tomorrow night.
I don't know when we'll ever get out of the 30's temp-wise:(

Julie

o

80's predicted for this weekend here. I'll be planting grass.

Kt

o

0.6" snow predicted for Racine County tomorrow:(
26* predicted for our first day of Spring:(
Temps in the 30's is predicted all the way through March 25:(

J.

o

Not much better here. It's been snowing sideways since afternoon and now I hear sleet hitting the windows.

DD doesn't get out of work for another half hour and has a 40+ min drive, (in good weather). I sure won't miss this.

o

She's home. Sick but safe. The roads are bad.

o

Good to hear your DD got home safe. Hope she feels better soon! Any break in the weather for you?

Tomorrow may be a record breaker for us cold-wise.
Winds are blustery. It feels more like January.

Julie

o

Yesterday was record setting for us heat-wise.

Al must be back down here somewhere.

I can't imagine having to drive in weather like you stated, Sandy.

Be careful, and stay safe, Yanks.

Kt

o

No break but most snow is pretty much melting by noon now. TV weatherman said this type weather wouldn't turn till late March to mid April. Sure hope I heard that wrong.

o

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

j

o

TV weatherman said this type weather wouldn't turn till late March to mid April. Sure hope I heard that wrong.

I read this last night and was going to post a reply on how wrong the weathermen have been down here, at least about rain percentages.

First of all, when a weather forecast calls for 50% chance of rain, it means that 50% of the viewing area will be getting wet, however, it says nothing for the amount that will be falling, although many believe that a higher percentage means more rain, but not so.

In recent years, if the forecast doesn't call for at least 60 or 70%, then we just ignore it, since it almost certainly won't rain.

A few weeks ago we had an 80% chance for rain but I don't think even 20% got wet, and very little rain fell if they did get it.

Yesterday, we had a 10% chance of rain, so no one even paid any attention, but we received 0.7" here and 1.0" out at the country.

I think I'll stop watching the weather on TV and let my neighbours chickens give me a more accurate forecast.

At least if they really mess up and don't get it right, no one can complain about them having a minimum four years of college thrown down the drain.

o

making sure the dust bunnies took a shower, don't want dirty ones.

o

Do these roadside snowbanks look familiar?

We newer see anything like that down here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snow pics from Texas

o

Looks like they used a front end loader to push back the snow off of the road. We only get like that once in a blue moon. The last time was the blizzard of 1978. They do a pretty good job of clearing the snow in my area.

We used to see the county trucks with big V-plows on them but haven't seen one in 15 years. Mostly they have the undercarriage type of plow. and they added some winged plows this year that I have noticed. Instead of making 2 passes they can now just make 1 pass to clear the road. Anything to save money.

They also were experimenting with a pull behind plow. They only had it for a limited amount of time and there wasn't much snow either. It could do 2 lanes at once if I remember right. I'll see if I can't get some pictures of the various equipment just to show you what fun we have up here.

Here is a you tube of a tow behind plow.

V-Plow

This post was edited by always-beezee on Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 15:23

o

They look plenty familiar to me but no idea what to call our plows. They just push anything in the street off to the side, making the end of anyone's driveway the hardest to clear. And rocking and socking the rural mailboxes. Bernie, that tow-behind looks like it's in a skid, doesn't it? I know it's not.

Hope you're feeling better and back into your Fruit of the Loom.

o

Hope you're feeling better and back into your Fruit of the Loom.

Thanks Sandy. I am feeling about 90% and my Depends are in storage for another time.

That tow behind plow does look interesting. I see other states are looking into it.

o

The photos remind me of the aftermath of our blizzard two years ago. Snow piled high is a common sight any year, blizzard or not. The downtown areas of SE WI use local taxes for snow removal. Otherwise street parking would be impossible.

We often see two snowplow trucks traveling the interstate, one behind and just to the right of the lead truck. Two lanes can be cleared at once. More tax dollars at work.

We may get 1" of snow tomorrow with the newest passing storm, "Virgil".

Julie

o

That tow behind plow is interesting. Never seen one of those before.

The most snow we ever had here was back in 1974, or within a year or two of that. It snowed 2 inches. South of here they had 8 inches a few years back on Christmas, but we had nothing.

No need for snow plows here.

Bern, if you put an extra gas tank on one of those snow plow trucks, and you drove it wearing your Depends, you could clear a lot of road without stopping. Just saying...

o

Bern, if you put an extra gas tank on one of those snow plow trucks, and you drove it wearing your Depends, you could clear a lot of road without stopping. Just saying...

I would do that in a heartbeat but it would depend on the Road Commission if they would let me drive one of their (our) trucks. Our drivers are so dependable at their job that I wouldn't want to take food from their table. They need to work to support their dependents that are at home. I wouldn't want to see those children go hungry because we are depending on them to lead us in the future. So I'll just leave my Depends in the storage area for now.

I have an idea!!! Why don't you come up to the North country, I'll let you barrow one of my Depends and you could plow the snow. It would be something that you haven't done before and you could check it off your bucket list. But it would all depend on the weather, especially this time of year. Let's forget about it for now but I'll give the Road Commission your name and give them a recommendation that you are very dependable. Plan on mid-December. You can even sleep in an igloo to really get into the spirit of things.There's another thing for the bucket list.

I know that we can depend on you.

Bernie

o

Oh, how nice of you, but as you know, we Texans are so dependable and are all work-a-holics, that we would be putting all you's Yanks out of work.

Then what would y'all do? I'd hate to see you all playing golf all day, drinking wine, and bad mouthing penguins.

My bucket list is several miles long, and it ain't gettin' any shorter, but sleepin' in an igloo is not on the list, besides, it would definitely melt with my kerosene heater inside it. I like it hot, day and night.

Thanks for the invite, but I'd hate to put you all out of work. It's best I stay here where I'm really needed.

BTW, can you run a dozer, or a dragline, or a maintainer?

Kt

o

Moving you dependable guys around a bit.

o

o

BTW, can you run a dozer, or a dragline, or a maintainer?

A dozer, front end loader. excavator, backhoe. sideboom. cherry picker, trencher, boring machine. compactors, but me best was leaning on a shovel. That was the hardest to accomplish. It took skill not to fall over.

o

I knew a guy that could sleep standing up leaning on a shovel.

I never ran a boring machine.

o

Sleeping standing up on a shovel is an accomplished skill around here.

o

Sounds like Sandy can sleep in a vertical position;)

It was FINALLY nice enough to work outside today. Temps reached the high 40's, sunshine and little wind made for a couple hours of soaking up clean country fresh air. Well, sort of. One of my least favorite Spring chores is cleaning out the fenced back yard, where Taffy relieves herself. The neighbor dog also makes deposits there. It's a crappy job.

The yard has dry areas, and squishy low areas where snow is still melting, but I'm finding plenty sticks and twigs to fill my wheel barrow. I get to tell hubby about our mound system problem when he gets home...water is occasionally gushing out of a large hole, which wasn't there last Fall:( I can see down the hole to a pipe, and I'm thinking the pipe has a crack or worse yet, maybe a tree root has split the pipe. Oh, lovely.

Julie

o

.water is occasionally gushing out of a large hole, which wasn't there last Fall:( I can see down the hole to a pipe, and I'm thinking the pipe has a crack or worse yet, maybe a tree root has split the pipe.

Do you have a irrigation system there? Sounds like somebody didn't drain the sprinkler system last fall. Do you hear your water pump going when not using water in the house?

Bernie

o

No to both questions, Bernie.

Hubby thinks may a mole or mouse could have dug tunnels in the hole. As far as I can see the pipe isn't cracked. DH is first going to fill in the hole and the gulley formed by the water. The gushing water stopped and I didn't see it start up again for the two hours I was outside. I'm thinking it only rushed from the hole while the mound pump was pumping water into the mound system. IF the hole wasn't there, the water would probably drain through the layers of the mound as it's supposed to.

Julie

o

What is a Mound system?

o

o

I kind of thought it was part of the septic system but wasn't sure. We don't have that type of system here. We have two septic tanks then a drain field. Why do you need a pump from septic tank to treatment tank. Why not just use gravity. I'll do some googling.

o

That's what we use here, gravity...two tanks, and a drain line. Nothing to break down that way.

81F so far today. Very nice outside.

Kt

o

Did look up mound systems. Julies' area must have a high water table or not enough sand/gravel to use as a natural filtering.

We are approaching 60* but I think we will be a couple of degrees short of it. The clouds are starting to come in form the West ahead of some rain.

o

82F and still rising...

o

I would think that being in that area where it freezes the ground, and the mound being above ground, that it would surely freeze and thus wouldn't soak in?

Just talking...

Kt

o

There is a lot of heat in those tanks. I have never heard of a septic system freezing in our area.

o

DH filled in the hole and gulleys and there's no leaking water so far.

Bernie, I'm not sure what you mean by "treatment" tank. The picture Kt provided is accurate. The liquid in the septic tank flows by gravity, downhill a bit, to the pump chamber. When the liquid in that chamber reaches a certain height and causes the float to raise to a certain height, then the pump is triggered on and the liquid is then pumped to the mound system. The liquid then filters through several layers of sand, gravel, and dirt.

I think your drain field is what some people here call leach fields. People who have a large flat area on their property have a leach field. But I've noticed more mound systems on smaller properties, or hilly areas. The mound system was here when we bought the place, and we are on a hill, so maybe that has something to do with why a mound system was built.

We've never had freezing problems in our tanks or mound system. Snow cover in our back yard melts faster over the tank areas.

Julie

o

Kt, are you getting some rain? I looked about a half hour ago and it looked like it was in your area.

o

None yet, but I see heavy clouds about 50 miles to the north. Keeping my fingers crossed.

o

Update on mound system/Hubby had to work on Easter Sunday.

As he was walking the yard, picking up windfalls, he wandered past the hole he had covered a few days ago, and noticed it had again opened up, and saw evidence of silt carried out by newly flowing water.

New plan for the afternoon...shovel out deeply, around the hole, deeper to the PVC pipe, and keep on digging about 8 feet along the edges and under the pipe leading across the mound hill. He discovered the pipe was disconnected from the corner elbow section (sorry, I don't know the correct term.) Neighbor came over to inspect, and the two of them determined the two sections had come unglued. The smaller section could easily be slid into the larger section.
The main pipe had a root growing tightly underneath...not a big root, but probably enough to cause bowing of the pipe, and gradual friction against the joining of the other pipe.

Anyway, I had to delay dinner until he fixed it. He had never repaired a pipe like that, but he can usually fix anything, once he learns how it works. He went to town and bought some PVC cleaner, PVC primer, and PVC cement. After cementing the joint, he put a snow saucer (you Northern kids would know what that is,) upside down over the pipe, then placed a 6 x 6 on top of it, just for a temporary cover to make sure the joint holds and doesn't leak. He then filled in around the rest of the pipe section with dirt. Later he will fill in around the pipe joint if all holds well.

Oh, and I found out why there's not danger of freezing in the mound pipe sections. When the mound pump pumps liquid from the pump chamber through the pipe going to the mound system, some liquid goes back into the chamber through a hole in the pipe close to the chamber. When the pump stops pumping, any liquid still in the mound pipes gravitates back to the pump chamber through the hole. I wish I could find an illustration of that. Anyway, no liquid is left in the pipes to freeze.
PVC pipe unglued photo PVCpipe1copy_zps3238d5a7.jpg
The photo shows where the joint had come disconnected. Hubby put a block of wood under the main pipe just for the picture. You can see the tree root he dug up off to the left near the yellow sponge. Not a big root, but pushing tightly next to the pipe.

My thought is that the Silver Maple tree growing near the mound system needs to be felled! When we bought the place in '99, we didn't know anything about mound systems or the pipes that ran through them. Now that we know the pipes are so close to the surface, growing tree roots can be a nuisance!

It was a beautiful day, almost 60*, but the temps have dropped at least 30*. Tomorrow will be chilly again:(

Julie

o

Sounds like my luck here. What a way to spend Easter. I was going to ask about a check valve somewhere in the line to let liquid flow out of it to keep it from freezing. I guess you answered that question.

Another question, the 90 degree elbow appears to have a rubber washer in it, and an inside area where the pipe fits into it. We use simply elbows that we use cleaner/primer which is purple or clear, then immediately use glue, which dries almost immediately. It's best to turn the male pipe insert 1/4 turn as they are glued, but in your case, that is not an option, but the pipe still looks to me like it has an inner and outer part to it.

Never heard of a snow saucer. Isn't that an UFO that lands at the North Pole? 6X6? A piece of wood to weight it down?

After looking back at the picture, that elbow looks like it is going from a 4" pipe down to about a 2" inch pipe, so maybe that is a reducing fitting inside the elbow, and the 2' pipe fits inside of it?

Kt

o

Sounds like your husband did it correctly.

I had to blow up that picture of the elbow because it didn't look right to me. Looks like the main pipe is 3 inch and they had to reduce in down to 2 inch. Looks like they put a reducer inside of the standard 3 inch elbow. It will work but they make an elbow with a reducer all in one piece. I wouldn't worry about it, what he did will work.

If that elbow was under pressure, we would have encased it in cement but that is under a golf course situtation.

Take care, Bernie

o

O.K. I had to consult DH to answer your questions.

There is no rubber washer in the elbow.

The glue hubby used dries in about 30 seconds. And yes, he told me about the quarter inch turn but that it would be impossible since the pipes can't turn.

A snow saucer is a type of sled kids use to slide down snow slopes. It's a round concave plastic "sled" about 24" across that a kid can sit in. It has two rope handles on either side. We enjoyed twirling as we slid! Remember those days, Bernie & Sandy?

The 6 x 6 is a piece of hardwood. It's decking lumber used while transporting stacked semi's. DH uses them for cribbing.

Yes, there is a reducing fitting in the elbow. It's a 4" pipe going to a 2" pipe. The neighbor finds it unusual that the reducer is at the elbow instead of further down the pipe beyond the elbow. He explained something about the force of the water going around the elbow being great, and like Bernie said, concrete is usually used around the elbow because of the force of the pumped water.

Yes, the 2" pipe slid into the elbow with the reducer, and was glued back together.

Will update on the fix-it job later.

Julie

o

I thought that was odd also to have the reducer in the elbow. When I worked in the oilfield as a pipe fitter, and also building houses doing plumbing, for that matter, we used a swedge inline going from 4" to 2" instead of a sudden size reduction in an elbow, but under low pressure, it shouldn't be a problem.

We don't have snow saucers, obviously, but we used to use garbage can lids to slide down sand piles at gravel pits, or down steep slopes along river banks.

Kt

o

Brrrr is it cold outside. A steady 15-20mph wind with a flurry every now and then. High temperature for the day was 38. We should be 50-52. Hang in there northerners.

There seems to be more robins this year. I can look out in the field and see 20 to 25 of them. Bluebirds are looking at the bird houses along with sparrows. No tree swallows yet.

Take care, Bernie.

o

Was 82F when I looked this afternoon.

Only saw a few robins this past Winter...was nothing for them to eat. They used to fly over late in the evenings by the millions. We were lucky to see a dozen in one day the last few years.

Calling for 60% chance for rain Wednesday...yeah right.

Kt

o

No Robins here yet. Redwing blackbirds have been here for a few weeks. Geese don't know which way to fly...it's back to tundra weather here. We also should be in the 50's. I couldn't bring myself to go outside today, even tho we had occasional sunshine. Windy here too, Bernie! I'm jealous of your 80's, Kt!

J

o

Finally got some rain yesterday and today. Only 1/2 inch as of yesteday out at the country, but 2.25" here in town. Internet service was out yesterday at my house.

If it rained as heavy out there as it did here, I may be rebuilding my fence since there was no grass to hold the topsoil in place. We haven't had more than 1.9" in a 24 hour period in over 3 years, and as soon as I get my fence finished, it comes a gulley washer. Oh well, at least I don't have to water anything tonight.

Kt

o

o

It got WARM today...64*.....WOW!!!

It was WONDERFUL:)))))

Julie

o

Should be in the 80's again today with some humidity.

I'm seeing 2 different Test Forums. One is filled with Spam about online pharmacies and gwTamara has 2 posts at the top with updates but the dates are Feb 1st abd Feb 11th both 2013.

Does anyone else see this? After I bumped off the spam, I refreshed the Test Forum page and everything went back to last nights posts.

OK Chugger, what are you up to now? Hehe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click Here !!!!

This post was edited by kentuck_8b on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 9:07

o

Everything looks normal to me but am I normal.......no comments from the peanut gallery, please.

o

Another chance for rain here on Wednesday...Two chances for rain in less than 10 days!!!!

Kt

o

Just had a rumble of thunder a few minutes ago. Around noon time we had a lot of thunder. We have had maybe an inch of rain with more expected in the next 2 days.

Take care, Bernie

o

Bernie, did you leave the door open again?!?!

It's cold outside down here.

This post was edited by kentuck_8b on Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 21:34

o

Bernie, did you leave the door open again?!?!

Yes, I did. How do you like it? That's what you get for teasing us with "Oh, it's 80 outside and I'm wearing a T-shirt".

We've had a lot of rain the past 4-5 days. Up to 4 inches and it's been cold outside. Thursday I think we only got up to 38 with rain most of the day. Sound like the rest of the month is going to be below normal. Oh well, I'll take that compared to the foot of snow that the upper Midwest is getting.

Take care, Bernie

o

What's that yellow thing in a few of the forecasts and what does it do?

o

Sandy, I don't know what those yellow things are. I right clicked, left clicked and even used the scroll wheel and nothing happens. Might be the GW gremlins.

Forgot to say, good luck with the knee Sandy. Hope it turns out OK. Also why don't you just read a book instead of getting a tablet. You aren't going to be there that long. Saying a prayer for you tonight.

Take care, Bernie

This post was edited by always-beezee on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 16:25

o

Thanks Bernie. For just a few days I wouldn't want anything but it's not my knee, it's my hip and the way they do it around here it's supposedly safer but rehab is a bear, and for several weeks. But there might be a better way....I'm checking it out.

o

Almost 80F here today and very low humidity. I think I got a little bit of a tan this afternoon. Sure is nice outside at this time of the year.

Sandy, look into laser therapy for pain relief and accelerated healing. It helps blood flow to affected areas and reduces swelling. Well worth having done although some M.D.'s don't know enough about it to recommend it and I don't think most insurance covers it...unfortunately.

Kt

o

Sandy, what yellow thing are you talking about?
I clicked on my weather forecast and saw (on the left side) a yellow flower that looked like crocus blooms closed up on a rainy day. Is that what you're referring to?
And what's this about your knee...or hip? ...did I miss something? ...are you having surgery?

Still stuck inside...dreary weather...snow flurries predicted tonight:(

J

o

That yellow thing in a few of the forecasts was something I vaguely remember being called the Sun. And it brings warmth. Dang dreary and cold around here too. Our yard has pools of water. Think I'd lose my shoes in muck if I tried to fill the bird feeders. Maybe later in the week.

Hehe, take that KT. You've got a suntan but we've got good sized puddles. But thanks for the laser suggestion. I'm thinking its a bit late for me but well worth looking into and knowing.

Julie, Yes, going in for hip replacement, finally. No cartilage left between hip bones makes walking tough and when a chip comes off each step is agony until it grinds down I guess.

o

Sandy, I'll send up prayers for you.
For what it's worth, hip replacement recovery is easier than knee replacement, so I've heard.
Please keep us posted:)

Julie

o

Laser is good for healing after any kind of surgery.

Once surgery is done, routine laser therapy for about 20-30 minutes for at least 4 treatments will do wonders for the pain following surgery, and for increased healing time.

Just a thought, if you want pain relief and shorter recovery time.

Good Luck with the surgery.

Kt

o

Julie, I've always heard that too. In fact was just talking to someone today that had both knees replaced and she figured it was just that knees are so limited in movement. Don't want them going in all directions, eh?

o

Oh, KT, I misunderstood. It's for after surgery! Wonderful. I surely will check it out. You know, when I needed PT, the one I liked didn't take the new insurance I had so I paid for it out of pocket. They were great. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

o

Everyone must be scrambling to finish their taxes.

Had snow flurries today.

More rain tomorrow and off & on all next week.

I thought the Farmers Almanac said this April would be dryer than normal. They were a tad off.

Soggy & signing off,

Julie

o

Oh, taxes. I wondered where everyone was.

There must be something moving on into here. Forecasting wind chill down to 28 tonight and then 75 tomorrow! Must be a lot cheaper to live where you don't need clothes and outdoor equipment for so many different seasons. I'd really miss the season changes though. Especially a nice crisp sunny fall.

o

67F here now and supposed to get to 90 by 3pm.

Without rain, my watermelons won't make it. I was worried aboout rabbits and deer eating them, but I guess the drought will be the culprit.

Bern, next time you leave the door open, do it when it's raining.

o

Bern, next time you leave the door open, do it when it's raining.

WHAT!!! And get the carpet all wet. Nope, ain't gonna do it.

o

just bumping

o

changing furnace filter

o

Too much rain. I put the rain gauge out around 4 pm yesterday and I just checked it a few minutes ago. 3.50 inches of rain!! and the rain is still coming down. The Grand River flood record was 22 feet and they are thinking that this flood will be 25 feet. Glad the river is about a mile away from me.

Other than the rain , it's been on the cool side with sun every now and then. We got up to 60* for the first time this year. Might get some snow flurries Thursday night /Friday morning. As they say, spring is the transitional time of the year.

My yellow electus insulatus flowers popped up Monday. They always seem to come up when the deer are around, hmmm. Yes those deer nipped some of the tulips but they just got some of the leaves not the stem with the flower on them. What really makes me mad is, I thought about putting up the fence the day before but didn't do it. Next year I'll put up the fence in March.

Take care everybody, Bernie.

o

That's one heck of a lot of rain, Bernie.

I pictured your yellow electus insulatus as something like this, until you said flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bernies yellow electus insulatus

This post was edited by breenthumb on Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 19:45

o

Sandy, you are so silly!

Bernie, we didn't get quite as much rain as you did. Most of the storm tracked south of us, through Chicago, where some places got 5", then tracked up your way.

Last I saw recorded here (yesterday morning) was 2.85", and we got a little more rain after that,,,so maybe 3" total.

Milwaukee, Racine and Kenosha wastewater treatment plants are sending their overflow sewage into rivers in order to avoid backup into peoples' basements.

Rural residents are urged to have their wells checked for contamination if their wells were covered by flood waters. We are O.K. since we live on a slight hill.

I just saw the SUN!!!:)))

Julie

o

A nice day today.

o

I agree...nice day indeed:)))
In fact is was actually WARM @ 63* with sunshine!!!
Got all shrubs trimmed in front of my house. Nice workout.

Julie

o

Another record low for today happened this morning.

o

10% chance of rain tomorrow...woohoo!!

o

Lowest on the board tonight at 39F, but looking for 79 on Sunday.

o

79? Y'all may be warmer than us then, since we are supposed to have cloud cover on Sunday and possibly a sprinkle of rain.

o

Strange things are happening. Maybe Algore is coming to town.

I think this morning they reported low 70's for Sunday.

o

So that's where Al went! Please...keep him there, we don't want him down here!:)

I had to come inside just now. I heard thunder and it's starting to sprinkle heavily. I hope it keeps up. The Texas weather map shows only a little rain just over us, not widespread.

Kt

o

Test

o

o

Finally some warm weather. The pass two days we've been 75 and 78. Had some rain this morning which ended by 9 AM. Thunder started at 5:30 AM with some heavy rain for 5 minutes or so.

Did Kt get some rain the other day? When I looked it was west of San Antonio.

Bernie

o

putting salt in the softner

o

Jule in the hotspot at 78F...two degress wamer than here!

Still waiting on a good rain. I see lightining off in the distance and it sprinkled yesterday and others got about a tenth of rain.

Kt

o

Yes, hotspot, for sure! What a shock to the system. At least it's not very humid. It reached 84* at my house this aft. Very windy, so the shock was bearable. More of the same tomorrow, then a dip of 30 degrees for Thurs. & Fri....back to normal.

j

o

Whoa, Julie and Bernie! I thought you were closer (as the crow flies). Whats up with Julie's 46 and Bernie's 79? That's almost half again as warm/cold.

o

Not fair, huh Sandy?

I'm stuck inside today...mid 40's, windy and drizzly...not good gardening weather at all! My grass will need cutting soon. Weeds are growing like weeds. Garlic Mustard can't be sprayed until temps reach at least 60* w/little or no wind...so it's growing fast & furious, getting away from me:(

Everything happens at once, and I get further and further behind.

Julie

o

Whoa, Julie and Bernie! I thought you were closer (as the crow flies). Whats up with Julie's 46 and Bernie's 79? That's almost half again as warm/cold.

Just good living and go to church on Sundays. Hehe.

It was just like that here yesterday. The cities along the Lake shore were in the mid 40's with a West wind coming off Lake Michigan and 25 mile east of them, we were in the low 80's. with a South wind. Like I said, you got to go to church once in awhile.

My grass will need cutting soon.

I've mowed ours twice already. Last Friday and yesterday.

Take care you two, Bernie.

o

painting the banister in the one level home

o

Check those wobbly top screws while you're at it.

o

o

Check those wobbly top screws while you're at it.

There was bubble gum instead or screws.

Had a frost Sunday/Monday. I don't think it was that bad. Talked to the neighbor and he said the grapes got nipped. Grrrr.

o

Boy, are those mosquitoes terrible this year. I can see if you are by some trees but out in the middle of the yard, full sun, nearest tree is 75 yards away. The neighbor put on his beekeepers hat with the mesh on to protect himself. I can't ever remember it being this bad.

Bernie

o
RE: Weather XVIwe

It was on the cool side today.

o

You have mosquitoes already Bernie?!?!?
I haven't seen any yet. I'm thinking you must've had more rain and warm temps than we've had. Ticks are bad around here...and ants. Well, the new ant hills are to be expected every year, but I've seen more of the large ants getting in the house this Spring, which is unusual. Usually it's the little ones that show up...I think they're called Pharaoh ants. I think the large ones are carpenter ants, and I sure hope we don't have wood that has been damaged by water in our walls. Yikes! That may be a possibility in the first floor bathroom, but I find no ants there...only in the kitchen. They aren't numerous though, thank goodness!

Daytime temps are in the 60's and 70' lately, and dip to the 50's & 40's at night...very normal Spring (finally, after the frigid start in April.)

Julie

o

We had some heavy rain about 3-4 weeks ago and the temperature has been a little bit above normal but everybody is complaining about the mosquitoes. It could be we are just do for an abnormal mosquito season.

Have you use borax for your ant problem? The recipe that I have used is, 2 Teaspoons Boric Acid (Borax), 1/4 cup Hot Water, 1 cup Corn syrup. Put it in some sort of squeeze bottle. Cut yourself some 1 inch long painters tape and put some of the solution on it and just observe what happens. You can put this tape in several locations inside of the house and outside of the house. Beware of the children and pets. We don't want anybody going to the hospital.

Bernie

o

We have a new kind of ant called 'Crazy Ants' which are supposed to be worse than our fireants...can they actually be any worse?

Kt

Here is a link that might be useful: Click Here.

This post was edited by kentuck_8b on Sat, May 18, 13 at 22:18

o

Thanks for the recipe Bernie. I may just try that. I have 4 ant baits sitting in the kitchen, and I believe they're working. I see fewer ants than I saw a couple weeks ago. Your recipe sounds like something fun to watch.

I added your recipe to my clippings.
Gosh, I haven't looked at my clippings in months! It gave me an opportunity to clean them out.

Julie

o

Just read your message, Kt.
You just keep those Crazy Ants down South, ya hear?
They aren't allowed in our zone.

j

o

Will do. They should stay here with everyone else who's crazy...they should blend right in.

o

Should be 90+ here today.

o

bringing this back from cyberspace.

Getting muggy around here.

o

Muggy here, too. Probably won't get down into the 70's until after midnight.

o

A rainy cold day this morning. Temps in the upper 50's and starting to get breezy. The cold front must not be too far away.

I hope it stops raining around noon because myself along with the ushers at church will be mowing the cemetery at 6pm tonight. We mowed it last Monday the 13th and it was like a hayfield then. Six inches tall. I wished they would have scheduled it this Monday the 20th and do it again tonight but I'm just one of the workers. What I should have done was mow it the 20th with my exmark and not tell anybody.

Bernie

o

Cold, rainy & breezy here this morning too, Bernie.
We have frost warnings for tonight...might get to the low 30's.
Feels like March again.

J

o

Very dry here. Watermelon plants are slowly dying off and the grass that I planted from seed has germinated and now has started to die also.

Kt

o

A dry...everything dying bump.

o

Oh no!
That's got to be hard to watch happen after all the work you did planting:(

All is growing well here with plenty of soil moisture.

J

o

Growing like weeds. Oh wait, they ARE weeds.

o

Glad someone is getting rain, even if it is making the weeds grow:).

Watermelon plants are dying off by the day. Booo!

Kt

o

Sure was muggy Thursday. Almost put on the A/C. We've had some rain here, just a shower every now and then. Sunday sounds like a chilly day with temps in the 60's.

Those people in the state of OK. are in a bad spot this year. Somebody has to move the bullseye sign to another place.

Take care, Bernie

o

Been hot for a few days, muggier now, after the rain, but you'll hear no complaining from me. Just too much disaster going on. Yes, including the drought. Do you still have cattle, KT?

o

Yes, I still have cattle but contemplate selling them all, at times like this. The drought just can't go on forever, but so far, it seems to be...

Tired of watering.

Cold front blowing in tonight or early tomorrow so hopefully we'll get a sprinkle, and at least some cooler temps.

Kt

o

80F @ 9pm.

o

It's 51 degrees here at 10 pm EST

o

82F @ 9:40pm.

o

54* @ 9:51 PM...pretty darn chilly for June!
But I refuse to start the furnace.

J

o

56@9:45 no furnace, but a heating pad on my knees feels nice. :)

o

Sandy, did you get your surgery?

o

No. Have appt. for a different doctor on the 26th. Wishing, now, I'd just gotten it over with but things got complicated and I tried for one with a different procedure. (Long story) Hoping it works out, because hips are pretty bad. At least the warm weather is better for me, but rain or AC do me in big time.

o

82F @ 9:40 pm. (Repeat).

o

Well then, I take it that Sandy wouldn't like one of my vacations to Coldashell Antarctic. That 8 days 6 nights.............

o

80F @ 9:40 pm.

o

Sandy, please keep us updated on your procedure.
I'll pray for a successful surgery.

Worked pulling weeds today in 59* cloudy weather, dressed in my hooded sweatshirt. (In June?!?!? geeeeze)

J

o

Wearing a 'hoodie'?? People here might think you were a gangsta. Lol!

Kt

o

Yes, you could call me a hoodie, but I wouldn't fit in as a gangsta, since my sweatshirt is red-violet:)

J

o

75 @ 9:40 pm.

o

77F @ 9:40 pm bump.

o

81F here, (close to hell) @ 9:40 pm bump.

o

59.9* here @ 10:22 PM
Will be a foggy night, burning off in morning.
Nice sleeping weather, no where near he!!

J

o

Some very light, and I mean light, rain showers so far today. They might pickup later on tonight.

o

We rec'd many strong T-storm warnings w/possible damaging winds, but those reports never materialized. We did get a few heavy downpours, but no strong winds, thank goodness. Most of the damaging winds were north and south of us.

How 'bout the rest of you northerners...how did you fare?

We are still enjoying cool nights...great for sleeping.

Julie

o

Cool here, too, Julie. And thanks for the prayers. I'm praying that doc's surgery schedule can get me in soon. I had no idea that I'd have to wait 2 months just for initial appt.!

No, Bernie. Thanks, but I'll pass on that trip.

Lots of flooding in the area. We've had heavy rain all day on previously saturated ground and local streams and creeks are overflowing. Basement is ok so far, but I've got my pool pump ready to pump from the crock into laundry tubs. Crock only got this full once before, and that was when they were rescuing people from nearby low lying apartments in boats! Nothing like that yet.

o

just bumping before Kt does.

o

We had a taste of Summer today, @ 85*, but not too humid. I thought I could handle the heat while moving a couple wagon loads of wood chips to one of my gardens, but while shoveling the third load, I started feeling flush, so decided to wait until later in the day to finish. Good idea waiting, because the temp dropped about 20 degrees. Went from almost heat stroke to almost freezing. As I get older I can't handle this stuff!

J

o

Julie, we're tied right now with Bob in Petaluma Ca. at 57/58. Very weird weather.

DD picked Strawberries today, but most of the places are not letting anyone in because the fields are too wet. Beautiful day here, too, between torrential downpours.

o

Sounds like some hot and humid weather coming our way this weekend. Not going to like that.

o

Still having chilly nights here.
Still refusing to kick on the furnace.
Strawberries....I remember those pickin' days...then cleaning, cutting and freezing them.

Sandy, do you make strawberry short cake?
I used to make biscuits with Bisquick, cut them in half, add strawberries in the middle and on top, and finish with a dollop of whipped cream. Mmmmmmm:)

Same here Bernie, weatherwise.

Julie

o

Sandy's got everyone beat tonight on the low side. Nice sleeping weather, huh Sandy?

Summer's coming in with a heat wave...high 80's expected for the next few days with high humidity. We've been spoiled long enough with cool dry days.

Ran the sprinkler for the first time today on one of my gardens, then finished the last of the wood chips pile on top of the freshly watered bed.

o

Only got up to 96F today. Sprinklers going 24/7.

Kt

o

ONLY???

I found a tick crawling in my hair during supper.
Flushed it!

Summer came in with a boom and cloud burst, then soft showers but only lasted 30 minutes.

J

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Test Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here