Return to the Test Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windmill

Posted by kentuck_8b z8b TX (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 20:51

On the way to work this morning, yes, the days are getting longer. My house is just behind the trees and under the sun.

Photobucket

Kt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windmill

• Posted by bob414 USDA 9, Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 22:08

Nice shot, but be careful. You know, red sky in morning. . .

o

Thanks, Bob, but no worries...I didn't go sailing today.

Kt

o

Wondered at first where the windmill was!

Found it after the third try.

That sun sure is bright on my monitor! If I look at it with my laptop screen tipped back, and leaning back myself, the picture darkens, and the sun looks as though it's exploding with orange lava.

Anyway, I like the silhouette of the tree and windmill.

Julie

o
RE: Windmills

Thanks, Jule. I was wondering if anyone would miss the windmill. I took the photo from my pickup, on my way to work.

Kt

o

Yes...nice shot. That tree looks like it should have a bunch of turkey buzzards roosting in it though.

o

Thanks, Sue. Funny that you mention that. I do have a picture of that very tree with buzzards in it, but can't find it.

However, here is a different one with buzzards in it that I took not long ago.

Photobucket

Kt

o

Great shot. That is funny.

Once Steven and I were riding along and all of a sudden he pointed out 'the buzzard tree'. He explained that so often when he passed it going home from my house that there were buzzards perched all over the (dead) buzzard tree. I had never noticed them there b4.

Are those turkey buzzards?

Here is a link that might be useful: buzzards/vultures at Wikipedia

o

Yes, they are turkey buzzards(vultures). There is a new kind of buzzard that recently moved into our area. A black buzzard as they are sometimes called. They are completely black(no red on the head) and are smaller. They are very aggressive and will even kill small calves. They travel in groups of sometimes up to 50 birds.

Most call them Mexican buzzards. Seems everything 'new' is a Mexican something or another.

Kt

o

Seen one of these before?

Photobucket

Kt

o

No, not that I can recollect off hand. What might it be?

o

I sure hope that's not the Star of Bethlehem.

o
RE: Windmilly

Why?

o
RE: Wind mill

Well, is it?

I hear Sue doesn't like them. I have a few, but they're held in check by all the other native plants in the same area.

I think if they get started in an area where they have no competition, they can become quite invasive.

o

Photobucket

Kt

o

Your windmill turned!

Lovely!

o

I have a few, but they're held in check by all the other native plants in the same area.
You do know that SOB is not native, don't you? Your wording made it sounds like the sob was native...or that was my take on things.

Yes KT...lovely...again!

SOB...I think this is a pic from the net I had stored in My Pics long ago. I seldom ever see an actual bloom as the bulbs multiply and if not divided they will not flower...that and the fact that they are mowed off in all the grassy areas, and I there area's many (compared to elsewhere) in the woods. I dig them out of the woods too trying to get all non native stuff out of there, in the front yard woods anyway. I throw the bulbs (by the wheelbarrow load into the field that is just 'green' with them each spring.

Photobucket

Maybe Jim's pic is an sob...will see if I can find a real life bloom here soon. I saw one yesterday I think at the edge of the field while mowing.

o

SOB - (Jim's pic? - do you mean Kt's pic?)

I have a few, but they're held in check by all the other native plants in the same area.

I should have left out the word, "other."

I know SOB was introduced into the US from somewhere in the Middle East & Eastern Europe.

J.

o

yes I do mean Kt's flower pic above...'scuse me...not enough coffee b4 I posted....besides getting up so early.

o

Is that the same flower as the one I posted?

Here is a link that might be useful: Head Cats

o

bump

o

o

Saturday bump

o

Just re-arranging things

o

Now these are some thick woods. You can't see 20 feet deep in them.
Photobucket

Kt

o

Looks like a very mature woods!

Are those woodpiles yours?

My neighbor has three piles (stacks?) of wood that he uses to heat his house. He is very helpful (with his chainsaw) when we need a tree chopped down, or cleared away if one falls down.

Julie

o

Yes, those are just two of my many woodpiles. There are two stacks on the left, and on the right, there are three row(stacks) behind the one you see there.

Some of the bottom logs are two feet in diameter...I probably won't get around to splitting them.

I have over 60 mature post oaks yet to cut, but can't get to them because of the thick woods. The drought killed them.

Kt

o

Mon, May 5, 08 at 10:04

Looks like you should be part of the big thicket.

o

Mon, May 5, 08 at 11:54

Need one more bump but I don't want to bump this one off the page.

o

Here's the buzzards that Sue asked for. These are the 'Mexican' or black buzzards, and were perched facing the wind since there was a steady breeze blowing. Not quite the look of the regular turkey vultures, but...
Photobucket

These usually don't sprout until June down here. Three different stages of opening. What are they?
Photobucket

Kt

o

Here is a link that might be useful: April 12-13

o

o

Bump.

o

Kt. I was the one that accidentally bumped it off today. I wanted to bump one of my old post off and somehow both of them got bumped off.

Were you trying to see if you could edit the post after all of these years?

Bernie

o

How the heck did you find a post from over four years ago?!?!?

j

o

Julie. He could have save the thread to his bookmarks, which I have done. Also go to Google and type "Windmill GardenWeb" and go to the second page. It should be there.

Bernie

o

You can only edit recent posts, not posts prior to the new addition of the "edit" feature.

Kt

o

I notice that there are only 10 posts visible now on this forum. Most of the time there are 11 posts, and the other day, there were 12...hmmmmm.

o

bump

o

Well I might be 4 years to late but your June plants look like Amorphophallus konjac. I grow many every year and they multiply like crazy. One of my most favorite plants.

jim_6b

o

You are correct! I see yours are in pots also. Do you have any planted in the ground or is it too cold there?

Have any ever bloomed?

Kt

o

I don't have any planted in the ground but I have read they are hardy to zone 5. I usually bring mine in the garage during the winter and havn't had any bloom because I can't take care of them the way I should. They have big stinky blooms like the Dracunculus vulgaris I grow. Another one of my stinky plants is the Sauromatum venosum. The picture is of one that bloomed about 4 years ago.

jim_6b

o

Do you divide them when they are dormant, or what is your dividing process?

Mine have all been in the one pot now for several years...I never get around to dividing them.

Kt

o

After they go dormant I dump the dirt out in my wheelbarrow and pick out the tubers. My biggest tubers are about 3" in diameter and will produce 5 or 6 offsets each year. The offsets are marble size. A 3" tuber is actually small considering they can weigh up to 4 or 5 pounds. If you haven't researched this plant, you should. There are many species of Amorphophallus an the konjac is grown in China as a crop. Also check out the Ariod forum here at Gardenweb.

jim_6b

o

I researched it several years ago and yes, there are many species, but I liked this one the best.

Mine are dormant now so I guess I need to transplant the bulbs.

What type of soil are yours planted in?

Kt

o

Test

o

Where is Fairfield county? CT?...As in George CT?

o

I have them in some fairly cheap potting soil.
If I would plant them in some good soil and keep them watered and fertilized they would probably bloom in a few more years.

jim_6b

o

Thanks Jim for the info. I like the way you put yours around that tree.

o

Stob.

o

Bache.

o

Anyone noticed the bright star in the east every morning just before sunrise for the past few weeks? I think it is actually a planet...maybe Saturn or Jupiter, or maybe Venus.

o

If I remember correctly, it is Venus. You should also see it setting in the West also.

o

However, if Venus is the 'evening star', then it can't be the 'morning star', correct? It will either be one or the other, depending on the side of the sun it is on, and it also looks much brighter than any Venus phase that I've seen before.

In other words, if it sets after the sun(evening star), then it can't rise before the sun(morning star).

I have been thinking that it is Jupiter or Saturn, but it still could be Venus...we shall see.

Kt

o

Here are the rising, highest, and setting time for GR MI

Photobucket

It rises around the 6:30am and sets around 3:45pm. So you can't see it at night in the West at this time of the year. I thought that you could see it in the West but it must be a few months from now. I'll check some more.

Bernie

o

Here is a Planishere that you can use. It's self explanitary as far as setting the time, Logitude, and Latitude where you live. When you are done with the settings, hit your "enter" key and it will change.

Go to 04/24/13 around the 8pm time slot and Venus will be setting in the West. You should see it then.

Bernie

o

Assuming you are in an earlier time zone, then that would be correct since it rises here about an hour earlier than where you are.

It must be at almost complete opposition to the sun for it to be that bright. Usually when you look at Venus with binoculars or a telescope, it looks like a crescent moon.

Thanks Bern.

Kt

o

o

Ohm nopth tee muh chaka roon.

o

What you say Willis

o

Thamnocalamus tessellatus.

o

da** calluses on your tonsils....What!!!

o

Kt
I've always wanted to grow some. We have what people call river cane growing wild here in Tn. Not sure if it is a true bamboo.
jim_6b

o

bump

o

Does your river cane look like this? Here we call this Georgia cane, River cane or just plain old Cane. It is NOT bamboo but is Arundo donax. Grows over 20 feet tall and over 1 inch in diameter. Notice the plumes on top.

Photobucket

Or this? This is Arundinaria gigantea aka River cane which is a native bamboo to America. Grows about 15 feet tall here and just under 1 inch in diameter.

Photobucket

Kt

o

I looked it up and it is Arundinaria gigantea. There is some growing near a creek about a mile from my house.

jim_6b

o

How tall does it get there?

Under the best of conditions here, it struggles to get to 15 feet although it is listed to grow to 20 feet.

Cut a bundle of it down, any size will do, but I like smaller ones, say 6 to 10 feet in height and throw them on a fire. By bundle I mean twenty or more. The hotter the fire the better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Test Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here