Click for Penfield, New York Forecast

Sherry

Click for Richardton, North Dakota Forecast

Little Bernie

Click for Vostok, Antarctica Forecast

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weather XVII

OMG!!!! Poor Little Bernie!! Sniff sniff...I didn't pack his coat in his suitcase.

o

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Kind of muggy here the past two days. Have not hit 90 yet.

o

Just came inside, to cool off,... it's 93F @ 9:30pm.

That's 177 degrees warmer than where Little Bernie is now.

Kt

This post was edited by kentuck_8b on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 22:33

o

Vostok, Antarctica

Belmont, Michigan ?

o

Hate to say it but it's been kind of chilly around here. Damp and cloudy.

o

Chilly here too, looks like we will get down into the 70's tonight.

o

doing house cleaning

o
RE: Weather XVIIcf

starting over

o

The 'Surprise' thread was started back before Christmas.

84F outside, but low humidity, so it's pretty nice.

Kt

o

hot humid yuk

o

So quiet here I almost didn't say anything, but I'm off tomorrow to get my hip replacement. Opening came up quickly and I took it. Won't have computer access for a while.

Good time of year. Easy to get in and outside and clothes are at a minimum--less to haul around and keep track of. Later, Guys.

o

We'll keep you in are prayers. Hope everything goes well for you.

Bernie

o

I've sent up prayers for a successful surgery and recovery, Sandy. Will also be praying every day:)

Julie

o

The heat wave must have gotten to Little Bernie's area. The temp gauge is not working.

o

Maybe little Bernie broke the thermometer intentionally...he may be trying to communicate with us via this thread.

o

A break in the weather this afternoon. A cold front came and the humidity went with it. Almost feels like a late September day. My type of weather.

o

Thanks for the prayers. All went well and I just got home. Taking this opportunity to use computer before visiting nurse and physical therapist descend on me to say I shouldn't be in this chair, etc. Lots of rules for a while and then... the other hip.

o

Glad to hear that you made it Sandy. I'm not much on those rules but they do speed up the healing process. Another hip!!!! Boy are you a glutton for punishment.

Speedy recovery Sandy

Bernie

o

How long before you have the other hip worked on?

Hope it goes as well as the first. Good luck.

Kt

P.S. don't forget the laser treatment:)

o

Good to hear all went well, Sandy:)))

I've heard hip surgeries are easier to recover from than knee surgeries....less painful according to those who've had both done.

Hope the visiting nurse and PT guide you to a speedy recovery.
Do you have a walker? ...cane?...both?

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Julie

o
and a bump

o

Not a glutton for punishment, Bernie. Just no cartilage left and the hip bones were/are grinding. Keep wondering if it was some of those spectacular tumbles I took skiing. Nah!

Too late for the hips, Kt, but plenty of joints left that would appreciate being more comfortable off and on. Thanks for the reminder. I really had forgotten about the laser. Do I remember correctly that you had it, or was it one of your animals? A little refresher would be nice, if you wouldn't mind.

Julie, yup, walker upstairs and down, just for about another week, then a cane. Stairs were what scared me the most and are really easy--same way I've been going up and down for about a year favoring one hip or the other, but using a cane to help the new hip. Sure wish I'd known about the sock-aid that helps putting on socks when your toes are sooo far to reach.

o

The laser works great for before and/or after surgery. It helps reduce swelling(instantly) and improves bloodflow which hastens healing time.

It works great to reduce pain, even in arthritic joints.

The laser, in some instances, can cut healing time in half, but usually that is not the case, but anything that speeds healing and reduces pain and also increases the chances of 'better' healing is well worth a try.

Results differ from patient to patient, but from my experience, there is about a 95% success rate, and by success rate I mean showing signs of pain relief, quicker healing, and/or overall comfort to the injured/affected area.

Unfortunately, insurance does not cover laser treatment(yet) which is, in my opinion, why it is not widely used.

For pulled muscles, and especially a crick in you neck, it alleviates the pain completely or almost completely within only a few minutes.

For certain arthritis ailments, it has varying success.

On broken bones(before or after surgery) it greatly reduces pain and speeds healing time. Swelling is reduced by the time the treatment is over, even when used on surgery incision sites.

It works on toenail fungus and on dogs ears with yeast infections, it can clear up the ears, after washing them thoroughly, in as little as three treatments, two days apart.

Works well on toothaches also, but usually you will still need to see a dentist since there is probably an underlying problem causing the 'ache'.

Kt

o

Thanks, KT. Lots of uses, I see now.

o

You're welcome.

I personally have seen injuries, that in my opinion, have healed 'better' than those without using the laser. The big plus though is pain relief and faster healing.

Kt

o

I searched it locally and it seems used most by dentists and vets! I would have thought chiropractors would be using them. Oh, and eye docs, where I actually do go, but that's just for eyes.

o

How are you doing, Sandy?

Getting cooler here, it's down to 85F @ 9:27pm.

Kt

o

I just saw that! Down to 82 now at almost 11:30 Good night for star gazing?

I'm doing fine. Getting lots of rest and doing my PT exercises. Just gonna take some time.

o

The past two weeks have been very nice around here. Low humidity and below normal temperatures. I wish our summers were more like this.

Bernie

o

Actually got a sprinkle here today. Still watering.

Don't forget to watch the meteor showers tonight and tomorrow. I got home early and decided to walk outside before it was totally dark and saw the longest shooting star of my life. It had to last 5 or 6 seconds. It stretched across the whole sky.

It will be better after midnight each night.

Kt

o

Really nice here too, Bernie (except for a torrential downpour Fri AM). Perfect weather sat. & Sun. for the PGA at Oak Hill a few miles from here.

Look towards the NE, is that right KT? Hope so. I can see out a window from here. Not going downstairs anymore tonight.

o

Yes, they mostly will come from that direction, but I lay back in a reclining lawn chair facing that direction, but looking more upward.

Good Luck, you should see some huge ones tonight.

Kt

o

What a cool day. It barely made 70* along with a stiff 15 mph wind out of the North.

o

oh the weather is fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: dani74

o

Cool here too, Bernie.
But wonderful weather for working outside.
Should be great sleeping weather tonight...already dipped to 59*.

Bernie, are you having to mow your grass more this Summer with this cooler weather? I'm having a dickens of a time trying to keep up with the fast growing grass.

Is anyone else having problems with Hotmail?
I'm having a nightmare of a problem...can't even access my e-mail accounts.

Julie

o

No problem here with Hotmail, Julie. Just came back to check weather for tomorrow and had a new message in email. Opened just fine. Using FF.

o

Bernie, are you having to mow your grass more this Summer with this cooler weather? I'm having a dickens of a time trying to keep up with the fast growing grass.

We haven't had as much rain as you have had. Those storms were having a hard time staying together as they cross the Lake. I am cutting the lawn every fifth day which is normal for me.

Don't use Hotmail so I can't help you there.

Bernie.

o

I'm cutting grass almost every day, but in different sections of my yard(s).
I'm now caught up with the yards, finally, but I haven't done the woods paths in a few weeks. I'll prob'ly have to raise the deck to the highest level to cut the high grass and weeds along those paths. The brambles are arching across the paths, so I have to wear long pants or I'll get some nasty scratches.

Hotmail accounts are fixed:)))))

The weather will turn from Fall back to Summer by the end of the week.

Julie

o

Sound like that humidity and 90 degree temperature will be returning mid-week. Not going to like that.

o

There have been a few showers here and there the last few days but nothing significant.

There was a one million dollar marijuana crop found just across the creek from one of our hayfields. It is dry, as you can see in the photo, but they were irrigating from the creek which hasn't flowed in many months, but has some spring-fed blue holes in it.

We only made one cutting of hay there producing only 20 bales since it's been so dry. In a good year, we can get several cuttings, producing several hundred roundbales.

Our neighbor out there, told us that we're in the wrong business, seeing as how they were producing a million dollars on only 5 acres in a dry year.

Kt

Here is a link that might be useful: Click Here.

o

Don't get any ideas, Tex!

o

I've got you all beat right now @ 93* @ 5:37 PM.

I really don't enjoy 3-digit temps with high winds.
We reached 100* @ 2:45.
Does no good to use the sprinkler...all water evaporates:(

Julie, hibernating indoors for now.

o

Should stay below 100F here today. Dry breeze blowing, but sprinklers are going full force.

Kt

o

Should stay below 100 again today. Rained south of here and there was quite a lightning show yesterday.

Kt

o

Much cooler today. Possibilty of some showers later on.

Kt

o

o

Roller coaster weather here.

I refuse to run the furnace yet.

J

o

Cool here today also, it's already down to 84F and it's only a little after 8pm.

o

We finally got some rain here the other day. It gave me a break from daily watering.

Here are some pictures I took last week. These pastures should be lush green.

photo IMG_7705Small_zps433e1f07.jpg

photo IMG_7707Small_zps6a5c068d.jpg

photo IMG_7710Small_zpsf57fe65e.jpg

photo IMG_7712Small_zpsa2562daa.jpg

Harvest moon.
 photo IMG_7726Small_zpsc779c2e9.jpg

Kt

o

So sad to see all that barren pastureland.

That harvest moon looks HUGE!!!

Is the shack/barn abandoned?

J

o

I think the shack used to be a house, and then was used as a storage barn. Now, it is about to fall down and as far as I know, it is empty. The homestead that it is on, has a house built back in the 60's, but no one lives there anymore except some starving mini donkeys.

The report came out today and stated that we are in for another 15 to 17 years of drought. Heck, we just got though 17 years of drought.

All of my trees will be dead long before that 15 year mark.

Kt

o

Cold front blew in a couple of hours ago. Already down to 65F. Might be down into the low 50's by tomorrow morning.

Here we go again in Michigan...

Here is a link that might be useful: Click Here 111.

o

In Ohio I longed for June, here I long for October. And it's turned really nice. Cool nights, not so hot days, lower humidity. :)

o

I had 4 inches of rain out at the country. That's the most rain in less than 24 hours since 2007.

o

Chuggerguy,
Let me know if you rec'd my comment on your home page.
It was fun playing around there.

Kt,
FOUR INCHES?!?!?
I guess you won't have to water out there for a few days, at least.

Finally cranked up the furnace here, but only enough to break the chill. I have it set @67°

Julie

o

No, I don't see it Julie. Did it give you an error message or anything? It's just copy/paste code but I thought I had it working.

I hated having to heat up North, down here I have to run AC, but in the Winter I can usually get by without turning on the heat. I spent more heating up there than cooling down here so I guess it's a good trade off.

Richard

o

OK, Richard, I tried submitting again (on your homepage,) and it "took"!

I think my comment is there to stay.
Don't know what I did wrong the first time.
I also saw your comment, "Test from afar".

You sure are computer savvy!

Julie

o

Thanks Julie. Truthfully, I'm probably more "Google" savvy than "Computer" savvy though.

Yeah, I find myself occasionally flipping though the random pictures too. :)

o

Finally got down to 30° this morning. I should have put my winter gloves on for this mornings' walk. I'll remember them tomorrow.

Leaves are turning color but are not at their peak as of yet, might have to wait another week for that.

Getting lake effect rain the past several days. Might rain for 10 minutes then nothing for 4-5 hours.

I got 20 gallons of wine setting in the carboys. After "racking off" a couple of times over the next 2-3 months, I'll probably end up with 16-17 gallons. Haven't made wine in 3 years due to frost in the spring months killing off the buds.

I wonder if Sandy has had that other hip taken care of and has she recovered from the first hip surgery.

I'll have to go to chuggers site and see what is going on there.

Take care, Bernie

o

Our growing season is OVER!
Nights dipping to below freezing temps killed my annuals.
O.K. with me, since I was getting tired of watering them.
Cut the grass (hopefully) for the last time yesterday.

Bernie, our leaves are also slowly turning color, much later than last year though. Oddly, a great many leaves are falling while still green. How strange.

What is a carboy?

Julie

o

What is a carboy?

A carboy is a big water jug. Do you remember seeing water coolers at work and they had someone come in and change them. Those big jugs are carboys. Glass ones are better than the plastic ones but the cost of the glass ones have skyrocketed. I paid $18-20 for mine and that was around 12 years ago. Now, they are around $40.

Bernie

o

That's what I use them for...wine, but I never heard them called carboys. Michigan must be like a whole different world.

I have all my plants outside of my greenhouses yet. Potatoes in pots are growing nicely and I'm hoping for a few more days of warm nights so I can get another cutting of hay.

I shredded this afternoon and got a farmer's tan.

Kt

o

O.K., I remember the water coolers...we didn't have them at work, but I saw them in TV shows...people told jokes around the water coolers. I rarely see them anymore. Oh wait!!! There's one at my chiropractor's office. But I don't think it's made of glass.

Farmer's tan...short-sleeved shirt type.

Too darn cloudy and windy in 40-ish-degree temps here. Keeps me inside...feels more like November weather.
Brrrrr.

Julie

o

Kt.
What do you call carboys?

Yeah, Michigan is a different world. We have the mitten, the Soo, the Mac, the yuppers, Detroit (well maybe we don't want Detroit, we'll let Canada have it) and me.

Julie. Most carboys are made of plastic now. One reason would be if you dropped one it probably wont break.

o

I have several glass 'carboys' out in the barn somewhere. We call them 'large glass bottles'.

This post was edited by kentuck_8b on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 10:48

o

I have a couple here too. One we used to make apple cider wine in and one came planted as a terrarium as a housewarming present. Both back in the '70's. Can't see ever using them again.

o

The glass ones are worth some money. Don't get rid of them.

o

The glass ones are worth some money. Don't get rid of them.

You would have to say that wouldn't you. Just when I was going to offer Sandy a dollar apiece for them. Thanks Kt.

o

I'll pay you $2 a bottle. Double your money.

o

How about I give you $3 for the ones in your barn that are probably all dusty and grimy and just plain yuk.

o

No, it would be better for me to pay you $2 for yours instead of me trying to dig those out of my packed barn.

Just remember...If you ever build a barn, it will NEVER be big enough...words to live by.

o

Wouldn't it be better for your health to dig out those carboys that are in your overcrowded barn. Those old muscles need to used. As they say "use it or loose it".

o

Ours look like this...

(every time I go to that site to copy, etc. his counter goes up. He must think I'm really interested. Watch the price go up.)

Here is a link that might be useful: blue glass

o

As they say "use it or loose it".

I lost it a looooooooooooong time ago.

Sandy, those are the really expensive ones! I think mine are all screw top bottles, so they are more modern. They are about 5 gallon bottles. I can't tell how large those are in the pictures.

Kt

o

Think ours are 5 or 6 gallons. It's due to warm up a little in a few days and I'll look in the garage to see if there are any markings on them. Gotta start getting stuff out of here. This is as good as anyplace to start.

o

I'd like to have some of those bottles, Sandy, but I don't think they would survive the 'trip' down here. Oh well, I don't have anymore room in my barn anyway.

Kt

o

We received more rain this past weekend and more predicted on Thursday. It came too late for many many more trees that have died. I've lost several hundred 75 to 200 year old trees. I will eventually have to clear out most, if not all of my place to keep it from being a fire hazard.

My potatoes in these 25 gallon tubs are looking great. Each bucket has a different variety. I planted the potatoes in the bottom six inches of soil, then after the plants get about 8 inches tall, I kept filling in with soil, leaving only the tops exposed. I repeated this until the tubs get filled to the tops except the third one which was slow to sprout and grow. The tallest plants are over 2 feet tall.

photo IMG_7887Small_zps5a28e76e.jpg

It's nice to finally see green here after a looong Summer of brown.

Kt

This post was edited by kentuck_8b on Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 23:04

o

Nice healthy looking 'tater plants! You've nurtured them well.

Is that your bamboo "shrub' in the upper left of the photo?

Julie

o

Thanks, Jule.

Is that your bamboo "shrub' in the upper left of the photo?

Yes, that bamboo really needed more water this year. In it's natural habitat, it will grow to 100 feet in height and at least 10 inches in diameter, but here, well....

The bamboo in the far background just to the right and going off the top of the pic, is over 30 feet tall. It should be at least ten feet taller also.

Kt

o

Your loss of so many old trees is heartbreaking but it sure is nice to finally see green in your picture.

What kind of taters ya got? I love all kinds.

o

Red potatoes, Masquerade, Purple Majesty, and an All Blue Potato. I am not sure of their exact names. It's was my first Summer growing the last three varieties and I'm not sure how they will hold through the Winter and make it to Spring planting.

The potted potatoes are to make sure I have potatoes to plant next Spring. I still have a few buckets/boxes of all kinds to eat through most of the Winter months.

Kt

o

A nice selection. Reminded me of these. Have you come across the small ones? I mean grown to be small. Kind of like cherry tomato potatoes. Look interesting? People seem to like them, like salt potatoes--quick and easy. Especially for summer cooking.

I use mostly reds, but like just about any potato. Nutritious and delicious.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fiingerlings

o

I've never seen those Fingerlings. Very interesting though.

Yes, I grow the red ones for small taters. Even in good years when I get large ones, there are always dozens of small ones...bite sized. I like them buttered with salt and pepper, and sometimes cheese.

The reds are the best keepers over Winter, also and I always have several to replant next year. The Russet potatoes are great for baking, but they do not keep well here and will usually all rot before next planting season.

The purple and blue potatoes are as nutritious as all other potatoes but they add colour to the table. Blue potato chips, or purple French fries.

I will be looking now for some Fingerlings!

Kt

o

Dang it Bernie, you left the door open again...41F here this morning. Looks like I'll have to dig out a long sleeve shirt.

o

Looks like I'll have to dig out a long sleeve shirt.

And it is about time!!!

Leaves are taking their time around here. A lot of trees that are still green and the ones that are yellow are dropping slowly. We really haven't had a "hard frost" yet. Yes it has been down to 30 degrees a couple of times but it warms up during the day.

Finally seeing some Sun this morning. It's been cloudy the past 4-5 days. We had 1.75 inches of rain I think it was Thursday/Friday. That should be good for the Big Lake water levels.

Take care Bernie

o

Thanks for closing the door...it is now up to 65F here.

Kt

o

A heat wave down there.

o

Raining again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisconsin skydivers.

o

Yes, I heard about that collision. Good thing all were trained in sky diving, including the pilot of the plane that disintegrated. The airport near us only allows one jumper plane flying, most likely since it's a smaller airport/field.

Julie

o

Just bumping.

Little Bernie and myself are at 41.

o

Little Bernie's phone must have froze up since he never texts me anymore. Last I heard, he will be coming here for Christmas.

o

I hope Little Bernie brings his scarf and mittens with him. Coming from his summer time to our winter time, he might catch a cold.

o

I hope no one suffered damage from yesterday's severe storms in the Midwest. I wonder about Sue. Bernie, did you get slammed?

We are fine here. Just a lot of large branches down. One dying tree fell on one of my gardens, and DH will have to get out the chain saw as soon as the winds die down. Yesterday's high was 68 F. Much too high for November.

Today we're back to normal...40's daytime, 20's at night.

Julie

o

Not too much happened in my area. Just some branches down. We had electric the whole time but other areas got hit pretty good. Below are outages from our electric company. I live in Kent County.

Outages in West Michigan as of 4:24 a.m. Monday:

Allegan County: 7,732
Barry County: 9,030
Branch County: 2,989
Calhoun County: 8,671
Ionia County: 3,151
Kalamazoo County: 13,883
Kent County: 17,365
Mecosta County: 1,231
Montcalm County: 2,249
Muskegon County: 1,369
Newaygo County: 2,674
Oceana County: 366
Ottawa County: 5,268
St. Joseph County: 2,441
Van Buren County: 4,730

Consumers Energy said it could be Thursday or Friday before everyone has power back. Part of the problem is that the storm knocked out power in small pockets rather than one large area.

A Consumers spokesman said the company will prioritize returning power to places like hospitals and other important customers. Crews will then start working on fixes that will restore power to the most people.

It's unlikely that the power company will get aid from neighboring states, like it typically would. That's because the storm was a Midwest event, and other power crews that would normally come in to help are dealing with their own outages.

Take care, Bernie.

o

Two words...."Solar Panels".

o

Cold air comes across warm water and makes clouds. We might go a week or more without seeing the sun. Generators would be better.

Now Julie would be a good candidate for solar panels. Winds during the winter are mostly out of the west so they are not going over the Big Lake.

o

A week without sun?!?!? Like I said before, if I don't see the sun at least once within any given 48 hour period, I will start to have seizures.

It's 58F outside now, what's up with that? I might need a coat tomorrow.

Generators...too loud and they pollute. Wind generators maybe?

o

We still haven't had a frost yet, but tonight may be the night. Supposed to get down into the upper 20's. The temps have been below 45F for the last 3 days. I'm tired of cold weather already. Looking forward to next week when temps will be back in the 70's.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.(You too, Little Bernie, wherever you are...).

Kt

o

45 degrees sound good to me. I think it's around 20 degrees here right now. And 70's, not until April.

May you and your family have a Nice Thanksgiving Day. Don't eat too much, save some of that good food for the coming week.

Take care, Bernie.

o

45° isn't cold, it's just cool, unless you add a wind chill factor. Don't think we had wind chill factors when I was a child. 45° was 45° no matter what the wind speed was.

We worked outside last Sunday for several hours in the mid 20's with little wind and plenty of sunshine. Bundled up and we were fine, filling a dumpster.

We will have two Thanksgiving dinners. Lasagna tomorrow and Turkey Sunday.

May you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and yes, Bernie, we will save the leftovers for many more meals.

Keep warm everyone.

Julie

o

I bundle up too much in cold weather, then I get hot while working...not good. I'm ready for Summer.

It only got down to 30F here, and may not have been long enough to freeze my grass, which would be good for the cows.

Burn ban was lifted, so I have some brush piles to burn off, and it should be a perfect day for that.

Seems there is always leftovers at Thanksgiving, which is good. Sometimes leftovers taste better after a day or two.

Kt

o

Looks like we are going to have a warm up this week. Might hit 50 degrees Wednesday then fall back down to the 20's Friday.

o

Not quite that warm here, 40's. Just too bad that mess came through all over the country last week for Thanksgiving. By Wed. it was back to normal here, and family was able to travel, but it sure messed with the airlines and hotels and so many things.

o

Goodness, it sure is warm here - 53° - way too warm for December. The two-day-dense fog has finally cleared and traffic is back to its normal crazy speedy self.

We aren't experiencing the fierce storms that some of the rest of the northern and midwestern states are suffering. Just a lot of drizzle.

How are the rest of you faring?

Julie

o

It got up to 84F here today. Looks and felt like Summer since most everything is still green.

Forecast calling for sleet by Friday.

Short sleeves.......coats.........short sleeves........coats.........

o

Coat weather here. I've been trying on and off for about 30 minutes to post here. We have ice and I guess it is affecting internet service. I cannot remember how many years it's been since we had bridges get ice on them. The high never got over 35F today which is very rare. I turned out all the water and let the other faucets drip. Do y'all do that up north? Pets and cows are fed. Should be interesting to see how long the rain/sleet comes down and how things will look in the morning.

Kt.......trying to stay warm.

o

I'm not sure what you mean by "turned out all the water".

I'm wondering if you meant that you bled some water lines dry?

We shut off the water to our two outside faucets, that is if hubby remembers. Sometimes he forgets and we go a whole winter w/o shutting them off. Nothing bad has ever happened, because the inside water lines going to the outside faucets are in the heated basement.

We are used to ice accumulation, but we don't like it, especially when a heavy covering weighs down power lines, sometimes breaking them. That hasn't happened here in a long time, and I hope it doesn't for a long time. I'd rather be snowed in than lose power due to ice accumulation.

Ice covering plants and trees is actually very beautiful after a storm, especially if the sun is shining. However, ice is treacherous if walkways and roads are covered.

Be careful, Tex, if you find your neck of the woods coated in ice!

We won't get ice...too cold for that here. 3-5" of light powdery snow is forecast for Sunday...easy stuff to shovel, but roads could be slippery.

Stay safe, everyone.

Julie

o

December 24th, 2004.

Trying to get home from work around 3:00AM(?) I knew better than to take the shorter, steeper, more direct route home so tried taking an easier route. The road was blocked for some reason that I don't remember. Sitting in my car waiting, trying to decide what to do, I kept hearing what sounded like gunfire up the slopes of the surrounding hills. It was of course, limbs cracking, trees falling.

I was impatient, tired and just wanted to get home so I turned around and tried the more direct route. I shouldn't have. As soon as I started up the hill I realized that short of clearing the way with a chainsaw, there was no way to make it. Too many big trees laying across the road.

The chainsaws, etc. came at daybreak though. Cleared it up enough so they could get through. And me too, minus one muffler.

Power was off a little over a week. For some, back the smaller lanes, it was off longer.

You can keep the ice, especially when it starts bringing down the lines.

And you can have the black ice that sometimes hides under a thin layer of fresh snow making me think "Just a little snow, I can make it."

Stay safe.

o

Nice photos, Chugger (Richard?)
"enlarge_upon_hover_uploader/images"
Wow - How did you do that?
I'm thinking you didn't live in Florida then.

We've had several inches of snow here. At least 5" on my back porch. I shoveled the back porch and worked my way around to the front and by the time I came to the back again, the snow had covered what I had shoveled.

I haven't seen hubby for hours and hours and hours. People on the interstate forgot how to drive in heavy snowstorms. They actually shouldn't even be out. Stay home for crying out loud. There have been several pile-ups between Milwaukee and Kenosha involving semi's and passenger vehicles. Chain reaction wrecks that could have been avoided if people would only leave enough distance between them and the vehicles ahead of them...or just plain slow down. Sad to say, three people have lost their lives so far according to hubby, who called me a couple hours ago.

He has been hauling cars off the interstate and temporarily dropping them in the Abandoned Haunted House property, until he can move them to the police impound lot. I think I'll have to shovel again before bedtime:(

Stay warm, everyone!

Julie

o

Our current weather is identical to yours, Julie, but we haven't had much snow yet and they're not forecasting much, Just reallly cold and some icy drizzle--often worse than snow, as you well know.

Yes, really nice photos, Chugger, but much nicer on the computer than on the trees outside. Beautiful as they look they are just too dangerous. I'm thinking a lot of those dead tree limbs will be falling if they get ice covered, KT. Ice storms can sure change things for years to come.

Stay safe, everybody. And hope your hubby gets some sleep tonight, Julie.

o

'"...How did you do that?
I'm thinking you didn't live in Florida then.'

I use an external "CSS" style sheet, thanks to gardenweb perhaps/probably/definitely not disallowing it. The code is here, and anyone is welcome to it. If you want to "test" it: http://www.chuggerguy.com/enlarge_upon_hover_uploader/upload.php

No, I last lived in Ohio. Been down here about three years. The winter here has surprised me but I haven't had to chip ice off the windshield or shovel snow.

I'll settle for looking at the pretty weather photos on wunderground.com. I kinda liked heavy weather when I lived in Ohio, as long as the power didn't go out and as long I didn't have a long commute to contend with.

Richard

o

We didn't get a lot of ice, at least not enough to break a lot of limbs off. We have had temps below 50 degrees for more than a week. I never remember that happening before, and it should be low temps down into the 30's and 20's for the next week or so. Strangely cold weather. Very unusual.

The county next to us had 40 wrecks last Saturday night when the ice was here, and actually more, but that was all that were documented, and we had about the same number here in this county.

Kt

P.S. Has any one seen or heard from Al Gore lately?

o

Richard,
Your link for "testing" gets me a blank page.
And the code thing is way over my head...maybe because I'm looking at it late at night when my brain signals are getting fuzzy.

Kt,
Yup, ice is nasty on roads. We have idiot drivers who, thinking they can drive over the speed limit with four-wheel-drive-vehicles, are flirting with danger while on ice. They can't stop any better/faster than someone driving a two-wheel drive vehicle.

It took me a while to learn how to stop in a hurry using anti-lock brakes when they first came out. I was so used to pumping my brakes in snow and on ice. Now I have to let my vehicle do all the work, and hang on for the ride.

We will be in the singe digits tomorrow:(

Julie

o

'Your link for "testing" gets me a blank page.'

No idea why. I remember the guest book thing didn't want to work for you either and then it did with me doing nothing.

I took my dog a walk yesterday evening along a birding trail and while the mosquitoes were biting me I was thinking it could have been frost biting me, so I gladly put up with them. :)

Four wheel drive vehicles have twice the traction to get them moving but no extra wheels to help get them stopped huh? Maybe makes some folks overconfident?

My biggest fear was always starting down long crocked hills, not being 100% certain I could keep the speed down to stay on the road, and knowing once I started down there was no changing my mind. Going up wasn't nearly as bad, usually.

I was taking a couple classes in Athens, Ohio once, about 90 miles each way. It had snowed, but the roads were clean all the way, all the way to the Athens County line that is. I topped the crest of the hill where the line was and see that the road hadn't been touched on the other side, and I saw the cars in the ditch, some on there sides, some blocking the road. I was able to stop but still, it took me by surprise.

o

Where do you keep your voodoo lilies in the Winter? I now only have one and it is still green but I have it inside of my house with only bright light.

o

Cold again here today and supposed to get close to freezing again tonight...I'm ready for Summer.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, Everyone!!!

Kt

o

Merry Christmas Kt and to everyone else.

"freezing"!!! It would be nice to get up to 28 around here. Sounds like next week is going to be colder yet, will be lucky to get to 20.

I am going to predict that by the third week of January we will have a warm up. Temperatures in the mid to upper 30's. My prediction is based on Moscow's' weather which has been warmer than normal the past three weeks. It usually takes 6 to 8 weeks for their weather to get here.

Take care, Bernie.

o

I heard there are a lot of people without electricity up north especially in Michigan. Y'all need solar panels and batteries... :)

I had to wear a coat for just over two weeks straight, can't ever remember that happening before. At that rate I will wear out my coat in a couple of more years.

Short sleeves today, allowing me to get some things done outside, but will be in the 40's and 30's at night for the next week or so.

Stay warm everyone.

Kt

o

I heard there are a lot of people without electricity up north especially in Michigan. Y'all need solar panels and batteries... :)

Solar panels here aren't that good here in Michigan. On Monday they said that we have had only 13% of the possible sunshine for the month. Not very sunny is it.

As far as the power outage, picture Kalamazoo to Lansing to Flint and 20 miles on each side of that line, that's where most outages are. Some might not get their power on until Saturday. With the wind picking up Thursday, all of those laden trees with ice are going to be hitting the power lines causing more outages. We need maybe 2 days with temps in the mid to upper 30s to melt the ice but that's not going to happen for at least a week.

Take care, Bernie.

o

Brrrr, is it cold outside. Glad to see the lake effect is on the other side of the Lake for a change.

o

Some of us are closing in on Little Bernie's temps!

I, for one, am getting claustrophobic. Temps are where salt doesn't work and I don't trust my footing yet--especially on ice/snow. Stay safe and warm, all.

o

At 10pm tonight I saw that the average temperature in the USA was 17.2F, again that's AVERAGE = 17.2F.

I'm at 26F already and supposed to get down into the teens, which is not that unusual, but it is unusual to be below freezing for close to 24 hours. There will be a lot of busted pipes tomorrow for many people.

The only place I saw above 50F and up into the 70's was lower Florida down into the Keys..so I guess we all know where Al Gore is.

Stay warm everyone.

Kt

o

Leave a faucet open a little bit to prevent freezing pipes. Just barely a stream of water should do it.

Cabin fever setting in Sandy??? I'm lucky enough to get outside and do the snowblowing, even in this weather. Just dress for it.

Take care both of you.

I wonder how my neighbor is doing across the Lake?

Bernie

o

Layers, and cover everything. You bet! Problem wasn't temps so much as ice underfoot. Hip is still kind of wonky, so I'm using a cane outside. But can't tell you how wonderful it feels to be out and about again.

And, I swear, one visit back to the Y pool helped more than all the PT I've done so far. Kind of sorry I waited for the kids to go back to school before going. (I was authorized to drive again just as they were released for vacation. )

Looks like our friend across the lake from you is having a bad time of it, from what I've seen on the news. We're thinking of you, Julie. Hope things are OK with you.

o

Hi neighbor!

Blaming the last two days of frigid air on part of the polar vortex meandering its way down to the U.S. This could happen once again this winter, according to our local weatherman. I wish it would happen in the heat of summer.

Just dress for it.
Agreed...common sense.

Schools and certain businesses will open tomorrow after being closed Mon. & Tues.

Temps in the 30's later this week will feel like a heat wave!

Julie

o

Sandy, we were posting at the same time, I see.

Good to hear you're recovering nicely. Nothing beats fresh air, even if it's cold....well, maybe not -13°, like we had here. We're all fine, thank-you. Hubby's business had to turn down over 100 calls Mon. and Tues. Only took priority accounts, only tow jobs...no jump starts. Semi's need to be towed to warm buildings, as they jell up, and simply can't be started in frigid weather.

Hope you continue with the strengthening exercises:)

Julie

o

Sounds like the later part of next week we will be back into the deep freezer again. I would rather have those cold temps because the snow is fluffy and dry. A lot easier to shovel.

I suspect somebody, not naming names, will come back and tell us it's in the 70's and wearing short sleeve shirts.

Bernie

o

Whew! Short sleeve weather today and yesterday...I actually broke a sweat. Nights are down into the 30's though.

Mosquitoes are really bad. They must hide somewhere and wait for the weather to warm up and then come out with a vengeance.

Hopefully only about 6 more weeks of this on and off cold/hot weather and then back to constant warm days....I can't wait.

Stay warm everyone, and keep your snow up north.

Kt

o

You don't want that snow? Look at all of the things you can do with it.

Have a snowball fight with Mrs. Kt.

Take an ice cream scooper and make little balls out of the snow and put them in your ice tea.

Your out in the field and you get thirsty, grab some snow and eat it. Warning, leave the yellow snow alone.

That snowboard that you got for Christmas, now you got snow so you can use it.

If you want to track game, with the snow it will be easier than that dirt that you have.

Just a few of the many uses for snow.

Take care Kt.

Bernie

o

"grab some snow and eat it"

The last time I was to the Smoky Mountains I walked to Charlie's Bunion, neglected to take water and ended up doing that. The snow was old and dirty on top, but not yellow.

Almost every day so far this Winter has been warmer than average so the next few days that are finally going to be below average should feel kinda nice.

o

Next few days are going to be below average in a lot of places and not going to feel nice at all. Heading back into the deep freeze.

o

I get cabin fever after only a few hours. I don't know how you Yanks deal with being indoors for days at a time. It was a beautiful night last night as I went to a party at the river. Saw some nice starry skies and rode an airboat on the river. Kind of cool again tonight though. I might need a coat tomorrow morning.

Stay warm up there you all.

o

63F @ 10pm. Looks like I'm in the hot seat here. Should be a nice one tomorrow. I might have to buy some mosquito spray though.

Kt

o

raspberries photo: blowing raspberries Mamasphone220.jpg

o

Good one Sandy.

o

Where IS everybody? Sure is lonely here lately with only these peeps wanting to know why their gizmos aren't working. (Who never come back for answers, anyway. )

Julie? Bernie? Chugger? KT, still out chasing those hogs and skeeters?

o

I am still hanging around here. I think that after so many years you tend to loose people.

Like most of us, it sure is cold. We seem to be getting more Lake effect this year but with more ice forming on Lake Michigan we will be losing some of it. We are up to 87 inches of snow so far which is our average. They are thinking that we will get up to 100 inches of snow. The snow depth on the level is around 24 inches of snow at the airport. And it seems to be more windier this year also.

Take care everybody, Bernie.

o

One heck of a winter. I'm thankful not to have to go anywhere if its too bad out. (Still using a cane but no pain. Second hip just still wonky). But it changes so fast some times! And we're used to it anyway.

Feel bad for the parts of the country without plows, salt, warm clothing.

o

I used to LOVE forecasts of snow and can remember sometimes staying up, looking out the window, and hoping we'd get as much as they predicted, or more. But I was young, lived in town, worked in town.

Maybe this Winter will someday be looked back on as what "real winter" used to be like?

Except for a few frosty mornings in January, it's probably been above average more times than not here. And a bit on the wet side. So there really are mosquitoes. Not a lot, just the occasional hungry bugger that sneaks in at night and flies around so quickly and tiny that even though I know it's probably going to get me, I'm powerless to stop it. (short of poison)

Truthfully, every time I've had to drive though(around) Atlanta I'd swear that next time I'd find a way around it. I've even stopped at Motels, got up at 4:30AM to get the rest of the way though it. No way I could have contended with that snow in Atlanta, especially not when it's that thin wet warm snow that's just enough to make it slippery as grease but offer nothing to bite into. Combine that with folks wanting/needing, or thinking they need to get home by "two hours ago" instead of the typical "one hour ago" and it would have had to have been madness. I suppose my "anti-rat-race" is showing though.

They have this thing they call "Groundhog's Day". Supposedly if the groundhog see's its shadow there's going to be six more weeks of Winter. On Feb. 2nd? Where the dickens did that originate? Tennessee or something? I always thought a short Winter up north would be "ONLY" six more weeks of winter. :)

Take care everyone.

o

Another exceptionally beautiful warm sunny day here. I could have gotten a tan if I spent more time outside. No mosquitoes and the hogs haven't been back in several days now. I thought about taking a dip in the creek but the water might be a little too cool yet. Did I mention it was warm and sunny?

Ok, my ears are ringing, you can stop cussing at me, Bernie!

Actually, we have had a record number of below freezing temps this Winter, even though it was short sleeve weather today, but each day is different.. I have a lot of cold damage to my plants and trees. I don't like cold weather...I'm ready for Spring and hot Summer temps.

100 inches of snow?!?!?! We don't have a total of 12 inches in all recorded history of snow. I like snow, but you can keep it...and keep that dang door closed until Spring!!

Kt.....waiting for Summer

o

Kt, if you say one more thing about short sleeve weather, I am going to strap you and your short sleeve shirt to the oil tank. Then watch you squirm while you are looking up at the over hanging snow that is about to fall on you. I dare you to mention short sleeve weather.......come on........I double dog dare you.

photo DSC_0032_zps7ded3575.jpg

Boy are you in luck. A half hour after I took that picture, it did fall down. But don't you think for a minute that since it came down that you can get away with it. We have all sorts of snow piles around, some over 20 feet high. We won't find you until spring when it melts.

Bernie

o

That was great, Bernie. I was hoping to see some icicle daggers too, (but don't want to wish you ice damming problems.)

Temp in Sochi is in 60's! Snow is melting, heavy and more dangerous. Gore must be at the Olympics.

o

Ice daggers would have been a nice for that Texan but there are only a couple of them on the whole house, garage, and breezeway. Even the pole barn doesn't have any.

It's kind of hard to get into Sochi with seeing green grass there. The first thing you think of for the Winter Olympics is white snow everywhere. So far I am enjoying the games.

Bernie

o

Speaking of ice daggers, the neighbor brought over a long metal pole this morning, (fearing he'd get stabbed while knocking at our back door,) and he knocked several down on our ice covered back steps. I wonder if our gutters will hold out with the weight of solid ice clogging them. We're going through salt at an alarming rate, and I'm having to wipe it off my kitchen floor every day as we continually drag it in as the tread of our boots collects every little "grain".

Bernie, is that a propane tank?
Propane is at a shortage here, and prices had been skyrocketing to almost $6/gallon. It's down now below $4. But still! Geeze...our local supplier will only deliver 150 gallons at a time. We don't heat our house with propane...only the garage, which we keep at a low temp. We do have a rental house that's heated with propane though, and warned the tenant to keep their thermostat as low as he can stand it until the weather warms up.

Our neighbor asked hubby to bring home the skid-steer so he could move the mountains of snow back farther from the edges of the (shared) driveway. He didn't want to see the huge piles of snow blow across the drive if we happened to get a strong noreaster. Many years ago before we moved here, that happened, and he had to call some type of earth mover to come and dig him out because there were drifts 6 feet high across the driveway. So anyway, he moved mounds and mounds of snow further into our yard...so much so that I think my gardens in the north yard now have 6 feet of piled up snow insulating them. It may be June before those gardens thaw!

Kt needs some piles of snow delivered to his front door!!!

My dog has cabin fever, along with the rest of us.

The neighbor girl crashed her car after driving it only three days...just got her license. Slippery roads here...the body shops are booked up for weeks...lots of people not driving well around here...they just don't want to slow down, and are paying for it. I have become a very defensive driver in my "old age".

I think it's warmer in Alaska these days.

Julie

o

Bernie, is that a propane tank?

No, that is a 275 gallon fuel oil tank. They have a propane shortage around here also.

Kt needs some piles of snow delivered to his front door!!!

If I'm going to pay the delivery charge, it's not going to be at his front door. It's going to be inside his house. Now there's air conditioning.

I feel for the neighboring girl but going too fast and driving too close is a receipt for an accident. I bet she will be more cautious with her next car.

Where is that short sleeved Texan??? Can't take the heat.

Take care, Bernie.

o

Snow pile....ice daggers? Pfffttt!!! You'll have to come up with something better than that. :)

What's the deal???? It's February, what's with all the ice and snow?!?!

I planted potatoes on Saturday, a week early. My back has been out and problems with pain in my gut area associated with the back pain so bending down was difficult but it was a beautiful day!! It is supposed to be in the 70's for the next ten days and lows maybe down to the low 60's. Very nice!!

I have been able to get work done outdoors on weekends and trees are really starting to bud out. The tree next to my house had started budding back in mid January but froze back.

I forgot where I put my jacket and coat. Nothing like a nice ice cold beer after a hard day working in the heat.

Hippie was mowing his grass this evening out at the country, and on my way out there, I saw where someone hit a feral hog and totaled their car.

Flip flop weather for sure and I am loving it...Texas is beautiful at this time of the year!!!!

Stay warm all you Northerners. Oh, and keep all that ice and now where it's at,.... we don't want any down here.

Kt

P.S. Bernie, notice that I never said anything about short sleeves.... :)

o

P.S. Bernie, notice that I never said anything about short sleeves.... :)

That's true Kt but you sure did insinuate it by telling us how many degrees it was and forgot where my coat was and flip flops and cold beer. I can't wait until your area has a mosquito spray shortage, they ran out of sunscreen, and no ice for that cold beer. Your day will be coming.

I see that there was some rain in your area (Feb 20th). Did you get any?

Take care Kt, stay warm.

Bernie

o

No rain. It missed us and is just starting to get dry in some areas here. We are supposed to be in another drought year and this Summer is when the faucet shuts off. I don't know how many more years we cant take. I have very few live trees left out at the country, at least compared to what I had 4 years ago.

Potatoes are coming up in my garden already. I hope they do better than last year. Everyone's spuds were tiny last year...most being just larger than a golf ball. the drought I guess.....

Stay warm and safe everyone up north.

Kt

o

Another good use for snow, any color... sure goes a long way toward ending drought.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Test Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here