Click for Scottsburg, Indiana Forecast

Sandy

Click for Penfield, New York Forecast

Sherry

Click for Richardton, North Dakota Forecast

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weather XV

How many of you had to crank up your furnace last night?

I didn't...just added an extra blanket on the bed...great sleeping weather...
BUT!!!...getting out from under those warm covers was NOT pleasant this morning. Temp outside @ 6:30 AM was 41* and inside was 68*...soooooo, as much as I hated to use the furnace (after all, it's still Summer,) I adjusted it to 70* just to break the chill for half an hour, then I turned it off again.

By mid afternoon it was 72*...just beautiful for working outside:)))

Julie

o

No furnace yet. We did have some frost either Tuesday morning or Wednesday morning. It was kind of a shock because the weather people said the frost would be 30-40 miles North of us.

We have been getting some rain, .10-.15 of an inch. I would like to see .50 instead.

I recently read or heard that the Midwest should have a dry and mild winter. I hope that it isn't too dry. The Great Lakes water levels are on the low side.

Take care, Bernie

o

I heard that something going on with El Nino is going to give us a wet latter part of Winter and Spring.

Presently 86F outside and very very low humidity, around 38%...Nice! Almost need a sweater.

Kt

o

Frost warnings again tonight.

Summer is only 9 months away!!!

j

o

Furnace finally came on this morning at 7am.

Didn't have any frost Sat.night/Sun.morning but will probably have some Sun.night/Mon.morning.

Presently 86F outside and very very low humidity, around 38%...Nice! Almost need a sweater.

I would hate to see when it gets down to 80F and he needs a jacket. Toughen-up buttercup!!!!! Maybe he should go South some more............Yeah, I know where........

That's 7 days and 5 nights to the wonderful town of Coldashell. You will be staying at the luxurious Hotel Penguin overlooking all of that white stuff. Transportation provided by YouSwimIt.com. Meals while you are staying at the hotel are provided by Leftover Sardines Inc. served fresh daily.

o

Got down to 69F this morning...brrrrrr!

Can't handle these cold temps.

o

82F @ 9pm.

o

Just bumping this up.

Did Kt get some rain today?

o

bumping up again

o

Yes, I got some rain the other day...about 2 inches!

Only 82F so far today.

Kt

o

I saw that four letter word today at the "Soo" but it melted away by 4pm.

Very windy around here. A steady 20-25 mph wind with gusts around 40. Hang on to your hat!!

Take care, Bernie

o

Just bumping.

I hope it doesn't rain in Detroit. I would like to see the baseball game without interruption.

Bernie

o

Supposed to get down into the 50's tonight...brrrrr.

o

74F outside now. Should get into the mid-80's again today.

Kt

o

bump

o

Should be about 90F again today.

Kt

o

We enjoyed one of our last warm days, I'm sure...got up to 76* this aft.
Just before a cold front came through, several barns were leveled by straight line winds in central WI.
We plunged quickly to 50*.
Tonight may get down to low 30's
Tomorrow will be breezy and chilly...48* predicted.
So much for Indian Summer.

J

o

I'm amazed that hurricane Sandy has an impact this far West.
Lake Michigan will have Gale conditions tomorrow, with 30 foot waves in the center of the lake and 8-10 foot waves near the Milwaukee shore.

It will be very windy in my neck of the woods (Racine County) tomorrow.

Sandy (in NY), please let us know you're O.K.

Bernie, I expect you may also get some Hurricane rain...let us know.

My cousin in W VA is no doubt snow-bound.
My SIL in Baltimore is no doubt w/o power right about now.

Stay safe, everyone!

Julie

o

Bernie, I expect you may also get some Hurricane rain...let us know.

So far it hasn't been too bad. I did hear the wind last night a couple of times so that tells me that we had a gust around 30mph. The driveway is wet but no puddling.

I stepped outside this morning to see if we were going to walk and the rain was just spit'n and sputter'n. The wind is a constant 20mph with some gusts.

I checked to see where the ships on the Great Lakes were and 95% of them were anchored at various parts of the Lakes.
Here is a link to AIS Boatnerd if you want to see the ship locations.

All in all, It's not bad here, just a little storm passing by. Now out East is a different story. It will take a couple of weeks to get back to normal.

Take care everybody, Bernie

o

That's a cool map, Bernie!
I viewed it this morning, and again this evening.
It still appears that most of them are docked, hopefully safe.

Thanks for sharing that site!

Julie

o

Only 82F today but fairly thick clouds, and low humidity...very nice outside.

My nephew lives in downtown NY and had to walk 30 blocks to a friends house to recharge his cellphone. No electricity in his area and he just squeezed-in buying some groceries before the power went out, but I don't think he bought very much.

Two weeks without electricity could be a problem for many there.

Kt

o

All week the weatherpeople were warning everyone of heavy rain starting Saturday and lasting through today at which time temps would get cold.

This morning they said the chances of rain were increased. Winds would be steady at 20 mph with higher gusts and the high possibility of hail in much of the viewing area and this would happen in Houston around 4pm. That means it would pass through here at least an hour earlier.

Nothing happened. It was 86F today, very humid.

75F now.

Kt

o

Hot and humid here today.

o

Might get into the upper 30's tonight...strange weather.

o

bump b4 it's lost

o

Got into the low 80's today, but leaves have just started to fall anyway.

Kt

o

Reached 61o here today, VERY warm for late Nov.
Perfect for raking leaves.

j

o

Got up to 84F here today but low humidity so I didn't really break a sweat.

I may begin moving my plants into my greenhouses this weekend. Should only be about 80 pots to move this year...whew!

Chance of rain tonight as a front moves through. I have been watering daily...up to 3 hours on some days with sprinklers going 24/7.

Kt

o

Hey Julie. You should move a little bit to the East. It's 28* here.

It doesn't look like any ---- (can't say the word) is in the forecast in the foreseeable future. Maybe some rain Saturday/Sunday with a 40% chance at that. Haven't seen the sun in 6-7 days which makes for a gloomy day.

Hope you get the rain Kt.

Bernie

o

Actually, Bernie, 22F is easy enough to handle, especially with little or no wind. We used to snowmobile in 20-isho weather, but of course we were dressed properly in snowmobile suits & snowmobile boots, gloves, helmets, etc.

According to the Farmers Almanac, we will get below normal precipitation this winter. April will be warmer and drier also...here comes another screwed up Spring, which may kill budding trees & shrubs.

Julie

o

Just bumping this up before it fades away.

This post was edited by always-beezee on Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 20:01

o

84F today and supposed to be about the same for the next couple of days.

Unfortunately, the dryness in combination with the extended warm weather is killing more trees. It's hard to watch them dying day after day, month after month, year after year.

If we had rain with this warm weather, we could have made 7 cuttings of this year.

Summer started very early, back in February when we had the last frost and the heat came suddenly, skipping Spring.

We've gone over 9 months now without a freeze.

Al Gore must be in the vicinity.

Kt

o

bump

o

Missed a record high by 1 degree. Just bumping.

o

I'm pretty sure we beat the record high here.
Milwaukee's record high for today is 61F
I won't know yet until I listen to the nightly news if they broke that record.

Right now ( @ 6:02 PM) it's 65 in my back yard.
Heat wave!!!

One more day (Tuesday) of possible record breaking temps, then down to the 30's, as Dec. should be.

Julie

o

84F here today when I got home for lunch.

Another week went by and I still haven't moved my plants into my greenhouse.

We need rain.

Kt

o

It rained here at my house 1.3", but only 0.2" out at the country.

Another chance on Sunday or Monday.

Kt

o

It looks like I can finally say that four letter word now. Yes, we have snow on the ground for the past 48 hours. We have 1.5 to 2 inches on the grassy areas. Driveways and roads are fairly clear of snow. North of us (40 miles around the Big Rapids) they had school closings today.

I think we will loose the snow starting Wednesday as temperatures get into the low 40's with some sunshine.

Take care everybody, Bernie.

o

Tonight looks like we might get our first freeze since last February.

40o drop in temp since yesterday.

We went from Winter to Summer, and now from Summer to Winter...what ever happened to Spring and Fall?

o

We are in a snow drought.

283 days w/o measurable snow. That's a new record.

J

o

bump

o

what a strange trip it's been

o

We went from 10 months of Summer to 3 straight below freezing nights and now we are back to Summer.......short Winter.

o

Sprinkled today.

o

Chilly(I stand corrected!) outside but still shortsleeve weather here.

Kt

This post was edited by kentuck_8b on Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 9:26

o

Got hot peppers on your mind, Kt?!?!?

It's more than CHILLY in my neck of the woods...downright cold in fact...need a winter coat, gloves, hat and warm socks.

But no measurable snow yet...just rain & mud...how very odd for December.

Julie

o

Supposed to get down below freezing tonight. This is the 4th day this year(since February) that we even really needed anything more than shortsleeves, and it will also be our 4th day below freezing. We normally(the average) have 6 days of below freezing weather.

Kt

o

We have missed the brunt of the storm. It was mostly a rain event with totals of an inch or more. We did get some snow from the storm along with lake effect snow totalling an inch. The lake effect is ending as I am typing this and we might see some sun late afternoon but I don't think so.

The wind hasn't let up yet. A steady 20mph with gusts to 30. At the Big Lake the wind is still howling. A steady 30mph with gusts to 45. Waves are 15-18 feet or more. Here is a picture taken a few minutes ago showing the Grand Haven pier and lighthouse.

Photobucket

I see Kt was only 2 degrees warmer than I was here this morning. Do you want some of the snow too Kt?

o

The Great Lakes can sure stir up some nasty waves, huh Bernie?

Glad to hear you didn't get clobbered with snow. Some areas of WI rec'd 20", which the snowmobilers happily took advantage of.

The temps here in the extreme SE corner of the state were much too warm and we experienced more rain, like you, receiving 2"+. If that would have been snowfall, we'd be buried, for sure.

All the rain turned to ice, making for some power outages, due to tree limbs breaking and power lines downed. Our power was out for 3 hours this morning.

Right now WI weather is finally acting normal, @ 20o F.

j

o

Should be in the upper 70's tomorrow. Snow would be nice, though.

Kt

o

Still warm outside. Does not feel like Christmas is tomorrow.

Kt

o

Cold outside.

o

Might get below freezing tonight.

o

I'm ready for Summer.

o

bump

o

Rain!

o

How much did you get?

o

About 3 inches here, which is more than we've gotten in one continuous rain in a few years, but yet it used to be very common.

Not sure what I got out at the country but it was very wet and boggy.

o

We had a record high of 57* for Saturday.

o

Bernie, you beat us by several degrees. We did reach the low 50's and the grass and wheat fields greened up...very strange for January!

Today we are back to standard Jan. temps in the 20's, and now it's dipping below that.

Julie

o

It never got above 40F here today. That rarely happens. We've already had 9 days when the temps dropped below freezing.

I haven't heard anything from Al lately.

Kt

o

Is everybody ready for the big chill?

o

Just throw another blanket on your bed Bernie.
And get yourself a good pair of mukluks for your tootsies.

-4F is predicted for Monday night here.
I'd hate to be in N. Dakota though.

Just hope windy conditions don't take out the power lines.

J

o

Oooh, noooo! Julie and Bernie are already -1 and -2 and its coming this way.

o

It'll be a nice and balmy 76F today. I'll make up some margaritas at lunchtime, if anyone wants to come down here to escape the blizzard.

Kt

o

Hmmmmmmm...margaritas....sounds like fun, but it will be all I can do to muster up enough ambition to bundle up to walk the long driveway to my mailbox. Maybe I'll start the car instead.

No blizzard here. In fact we lost whatever snow cover we had when temps reached the 50's last week. I may lose some plants w/o the protective snow cover this year.

Julia

o

It was 6-8* below this morning. I bet julie was 4-6* colder than here. Haven't had much snow in my neighborhood. I can still see some grass peeking through the snow. It's a different story SW of Grand Rapids. Snow is in the 6 plus area with lots of school closing. Even the center of Grand Rapids they had 2 inches.

Oh, I got to tell you something. Went for the normal walk this morning on the White Pine Trail and as I was looking down I saw a "foot print". That's right, an actual foot print. No booty, no shoes, a foot print. The person was jogging. It wasn't there when I did the supper walk yesturday which was 10* above at that time. I would say the person would be alright if they kept jogging but if they stopped, I would think frostbite might kick in.

When I go for tonight's walk, I'll see how far the person went because I go in the opposite direction (heading North). I'll report later in the day.

Stay warm and if you know some elderly person, call them to make sure they are doing OK.

Bernie

o

Bigfoot?

o

Yes, it was Bigfoot. I saw him tonight!!! He was 10 feet tall and hairy as a peach. He was carrying a blue umbrella and a purse. Must be one of those funny ones....you know....normal.

Those foot prints went further North beyond where I turned back to come home. I wonder if the person will do it again. I'll see tomorrow morning.

See if this editing will work after 12+hours.

There was no foot prints in the snow this morning (1-23-2013). The jogger probably learned his lesson.

Bernie

This post was edited by always-beezee on Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 13:41

o

We don't have enough snow on the ground to show footprints.
Strange season.

o

Footprints in the sand here...82F today.

o

Wow! It is foggy outside. Visibility is about an eighth of a mile. Temps approaching 55*, no wind and some rain every now and then.

Had thunderstorms during the night and about an inch of rain. Had to go to the end of the driveway to get rid of my lake that is there. Where there wasn't any snow, the ground was hard as a rock. Where I had to clear what little snow there was, the ground was soft. Made digging a little trench a lot better. After I get done with this message, I'll go back out and see if I can dig the frozen ground to get the trench deeper.

o

It is presently 61.9F at my house.
That's got to be a record breaker.
Ran some errands earlier, and almost broke a sweat walking outside in this humid weather, and had to take off my coat!

Bernie, we also had thunder and heavy rain which woke me last night.

Flash flood warnings for today after 3PM.

I also have pools in various lawn areas.

j

o

74F here and a cold front knocking on my door. Need rain.

I notice there are 13 visible posts now instead of the normal eleven.

Kt

o

Went on the Test Forum and see ND is still on the weather report. That warmed my heart. The rest of me is pretty cold.
Looking forward to spring.

o

Hi Sherry, how are you doing. I was beginning to wonder if you had moved to a warmer climate such as Winnipeg or Yellow Knife.

o

Hey Sherry, it's good to hear you're still around and not frozen.

Jule, I think your weather sticker is missing a number in front of the '9'.

Kt

o

Hi Sherry,

We miss you!

Don't be such a stranger. Let us know how you're doing up there in the tundra.

Kt, no, not a number missing. In fact, some time in the wee hours should dip to the minus category.

My basement is freezing!

Julie

o

We had 6-7 inches of that fluffy snow overnight. That's the most snowfall that we have had this winter. We still have a deficit of 34+ inches of snow for the season.

Sound like we might be getting some more snow tonight as an Alberta clipper brings some snow down with it. Looks like Julie and myself are in the deep freeze today.

Bernie

o

Bernie, you have us all beat on the negative end temp-wise!
I'm a lot warmer than you right now, with my temp showing 9F and yours @ -4F!
We only got 3" of that fluffy stuff, and it was easy to shovel this morning, (after grocery shopping,) but my fingertips froze. I took off my gloves and put my freezing fingertips against my belly to warm up, an OMG! I had no idea they were cold as ice cubes. But that did the trick, and I could finally move them again, enough to bring in the groceries from the car.

I thought WE had a big deficit @ -17" of snow...but you are at twice that much!

Stay warm!

Julie

o

That weather sticker isn't right. I just looked at my thermometer and it say 6 above. I did check some of the temps around the city and some of them do show below temps. I guess you have to be in the right place.

What kind of gloves are you using or do you have poor circulation. I use leather gloves with a Sherpa lining and for walking, a ski glove.

o

It was in the 80's here again today.

One of my apple trees.

photo IMG_4550Small_zps960fd58a.jpg

photo IMG_4554Small_zpsa559b776.jpg

Kt

o

Yeah, rub it in,'Oh I was 8o...again...' I hope your AC goes out tomorrow. hehe.

Is that normal for the apple trees to start blooming?

o

'Oh I was 8o... I guess Spellcheck doesn't correct numbers like '8o' to '80' or words like 'I' to 'it'.

It's normal for everything to start budding and blooming when the weather warms up.

Actually, they do start to bloom early but I've never seen them bloom this early. Usually peaches are the first, and even they don't normally bloom until late February or early March.

Had a few mosquitoes buzzing around my head today, also, while I was watering out at the country.

Kt

o

Bernie, I wore the gloves that happened to be in my coat pocket at the time...a pair of lined thinsulates, which was stupid on my part. I have snowmobile mittens somewhere in the house, but neglected to put them on...lesson learned. My circulation is fine, when I use my head.

Kt, Ditto what Bernie said... Yeah, rub it in,'Oh I was 8o...again...' lucky you! It'll be another 2-1/2 months before we see any budding around here. Are those the apple trees out at your country place?

Julie

o

Yes, Jule, that is one of the apple trees out at my country place. Other trees just have tiny nubs, but the one above is getting good start.

I noticed some onions and even a few carrots that I left in the ground there last year, are doing fine.

I had to water there this evening, but not the trees.

We got 1100 feet of fence done and are starting on the other 1100 feet. They will be dozing it out over the next few days. It is almost too dusty there to run any heavy equipment.

Kt

o

Seems odd to hear that onions and carrots can stay in the ground from one year to the next. Won't ever happen in our zone!

4-6" of snow is predicted throughout the night.
Will have to shovel my way out the back door tomorrow morning.

bumping up

o

Looks like I'm in the hotseat with a steaming 61F.

It's beautiful here at this time of the year!

Kt

This post was edited by kentuck_8b on Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 21:27

o

Hello everyone, I see on the weather charts that it is warmer here than 4 of the other states. That looks real nice to me.
Although wishing you warm weather, too.
KT, sure enjoyed the pics of the trees starting to bud. Looked really good.
Ordered some seed off Ebay last night and am going down to clean cellar today making room for starting a few things.
Sherry

o

Suppose to get some snow this afternoon into Friday morning. At times the visibility is around a 1/4 mile. The noon news said anywhere between 6 and 10 inches with some higher amounts in certain areas. Very little wind, under 10 mph..

We are starting to make up for that deficit they we have. The local ski hills will like that.

Take care, Bernie

o

It's been snowing all day here too, Bernie.

The landscape is lovely, buy I'm sure the roads are treacherous. I'll get a report when hubby gets home, I'm sure. I just shoveled and had to be very careful of my back, since this snow is the heavy wet kind. We got 6-8" so far, depending where you're standing/shoveling, and it's still coming down. Not very cold though, just above freezing most of the afternoon...thus the wet, heavy snow.

Bernie, I'll bet you're getting your fancy schmancy snow blower out about now.

Sandy, be careful, I heard all this is headed your way Friday.

Julie

o

Sun shined bright today and got close to 80F. Had some rain yesterday but not near enough. Frogs croaking and crickets chirping.

Very clear sky and bright stars out tonight.

It's very nice here at this time of the year.

Kt

o

Bernie, I'll bet you're getting your fancy schmancy snow blower out about now.

Yes, I did get it out. Just got back in the house about 40 minutes ago. I thought it would be easier to do 4-5 inches of the stuff rather than do 8-10 inches. We had a dry slot with no snow for maybe 3 hours. A good time to go out.

Yeah, that snow is heavy. I shoveled a couple of areas where the snowblower couldn't go. I wouldn't want to shovel too much more.

It sounds like the East coast is to get a lot of snow along with the wind. I'll take what we are getting compared to the 'feet' of snow that they will get.

And I wish someone else was croaking. Not naming names but......

o

Yes, I heard about the possible blizzard conditions that may hit the East.

We got another 3" since I posted last...big fluffy flakes this time. Shoveling chores just went on my Honey-Do list.

Kt is growing shorter.

j

o

Boy am I glad I did some snowblowning last night. This morning there was the same amount as I did last night. All total we got close to the 10 inch mark at my house. I didn't catch the noon news to see what other areas got.

The weather is nice outside. Mostly sunny with some clouds. Temps around 36* (80*for you know who) with a 10-12 mph wind. I looked at a webcam at Milwaukee and they have the clouds today. Their wind must be out of the Northeast.

The weather I described above is typical after a good size snow event. Generally pretty nice.

Take care, Bernie.

PS. I thought that I would check around Grand Rapids for snowfall. 10 inches in a lot of places. 14 inches in Grandville and 16 inches in Sparta. Sparta is about 8-10 miles NW from where I live.

And I just went out side to get the mail. It's 84* and I even was sweating just to get the mail (am I really giving it to you know who).

Take care again, Bernie

o

Another superb day! I can't hardly stand it. Things are so nice here that everything is starting to grow.

photo IMG_4614Small_zpsbe4d11e5.jpg

Not sure what this fictitious white stuff is, that Michiganites keep talking about, snoh, snoe, snow, or however you spell it, I don't think it even exists.

If this weather keeps up, I'll be getting Mikie to send me some flip-flops and a tanktop to wear to work.

It is extremely nice at this time of the year...here in Texas that is.

Kt

o

Ya, Bernie, we got about the same snowfall measurement here...TV said 9" total, but I swear it was more. DH shoveled an extra 3" when he got home last night, then I finished up the last inch this morning and sprinkled salt on the porches and walkways. Temps reached above freezing during the day, so we have icicles dripping from the roof onto my back walk.

The landscape is still pretty until you drive to the city where exhaust fumes are coloring the snow "dirty" on the sides of all plowed streets. YUK!

We need to send a couple of huge refrigerated dump trucks packed with snow down to Tex (during the night when he's sleeping,) and surprise him with a small mountain of the white stuff in the middle of his driveway. We should also send instructions on how to build a snowman. I bet he's never done that.

Kt, those striped leaves remind me of some tropical plant I might see in a greenhouse around here. What are they?

Julie

o

The leaves are canna lilies that are starting to grow. I have several varieties and usually mow over the dead growth before they emerge each Spring, but they came up too early this year.

We need to send...to Tex

Oh no you don't! Keep out. Texas is full, and we're not letting anyone else in.

o

Wow! I didn't know Canna lily leaves came in stripes.
Make sure you post pics of the blooms later on!

Oh no you don't! Keep out.
Oh now Tex, don't get yourself all in a tizzy.
We'd only be visiting, leaving a little gift, then we'll turn around and skeedatle back North. Y'all got too many snakes down there for me to stay any length of time anyway.

Julie

o

Snakes? No worries. Fireants, mosquitoes, killer bees, scorpions, centipedes, alligators, cougars, & chupacabra's are higher on the list of things to be worried about.

I think I posted some of the flowers of all of my canna lilies before. I have three of the variegated kind like above. I'll post pics again though...probably soon.

Kt

o

I don't associate Texas with alligators but I found out different. They should be in Kt's area.

o

Probably up in the trees with the chupacabras

o

Next time you site a chupacabra, capture it on camera, Tex. We don't have them thar creatures roamin' in our neck of the woods. Soooooo...they're a goat-suckin' cross between a dog, a hyena, a coyote, a rat, a kangaroo and an alien?

Julie

o

Alligators sometimes get into the rivers here, but they are mostly in the old gravel pits. I saw one once that had to have been at least 17 feet long.

...cross between a dog, a hyena, a coyote, a rat, a kangaroo and an alien?...and a Michigan three-toed penguin.

o

o

LOL!

A side show freak attraction?

J

o

Not sure where that pic is originally from, but it is more of a resemblance to the original chupacabra description than the mange covered dogs and coyotes that people report these days.

71F already and it's shortly after 7:30am. I might have to mix up a gallon or two of margaritas and sit under a shade tree this afternoon. Maybe look at the clouds and see what figures I can make out of them, or maybe contemplate the vastness of the universe and what all it holds hidden in it's unseen darkness.

Kt

o

Sheeesh!

o

Very windy around here today. A steady 20mph and a gust of 42. Some snow maybe an inch.

Going to watch the Westminister dog show on CNBC at 8 Eastern tonight (2-11-13) and tomorrow on USA at 8pm Eastern.

house cleaning

o

Ooooooh, I forgot. Thanks for the reminder. DK how much is left but I'll watch it.

o

On live till 11 and then 11 to 2AM. Maybe a repeat. Sporting dogs tomorrow?

o

Nice warm day here, in the 70's. Cooler tonight. Some rain tomorrow. Days aren't long enough.

Kt

o

doing a little vacuuming

o

... Record monthly maximum snowfall for February set at Muskegon mi...

A record monthly maximum snowfall of 46.4 inches was set at Muskegon
mi yesterday. This breaks the previous February record of 45.8
inches set in 1981. This new record will be updated if additional
snow is received before the end of the month.

Through January 19... Muskegon had only accumulated 9.6 inches of
snow for the season which was the greatest snowfall deficit of the
season with 42.6 inches below normal. Over the next month... through
February 19... Muskegon received 67.8 inches of snow to completely
erase the seasonal deficit. Muskegon now has above normal snowfall
for the winter through February 23 with 86.0 inches of snow. This was taken from NWS (National Weather Service).

At the Grand Rapids NWS station, we still have a deficit of 11 inches. Sound like we are going to get 3-6 inches of that wet snow late Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday afternoon along with some wind.

Remember 2-3 weeks ago there was a barefoot jogger that was on the trail. Well he was back this past Saturday. The person must be nuts. At least it's not my feet. So far today we are enjoying a mostly sunny day with wind under 10mph and temps approaching 40*. Feels good outside.

Take care, Bernie.

o

Nibblin' on sponge cake.
Watchin' the sun bake...

o

All of the tourists, covered in oil...

This post was edited by kentuck_8b on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 21:57

o

Strumming my six string, on my front porch swing,
Smell those shrimp, they're beginning to boil.

o

Our predicted 3-6" of snow turned into 10".
Heavy wet stuff is hard to shovel safely, but I managed to clear a path from our back porch to the back stoop of the garage before my back gave out.

A snowplow took out our mailbox today:(
Neighbor brought it to our back porch.
I set it on our kitchen floor.
Colorful language may issue forth from hubby's mouth when he comes home tonight.

j

o

That snow was heavy wasn't it Julie. It took easily an extra hour to do the snow blowing around here. I'm glad it was only 4-5 inches of snow for us.

It looks like Sandy is getting what both of us had. Sandy, if your husband does the snow removal himself, even with a snowblower, have him take some breaks. We don't want to hear about heart attacks.

o

Wastin' away again in margaritaville.......

o

I bet all that snow would make one big delicious frozen margarita.

The roads are already salted, so all you would need is some lime and Jose Cuervo.

o

You wouldn't want that salt in your margarita.

o

I wouldn't want my margarita in that salt.

o

typing this bump

o

Should reach 70F here today.

Exquisitely beautiful here today!!

Kt

o

Exquisitely cold here, and waiting for our storm, "Saturn" to dump snow tomorrow at the rate of 1" per hour, according to reporters. There is such a wide range of uncertain forecasting, so I don't know if we will get 3" or 12". People living closer to Lake Michigan will get lake effect snowfall and strong winds factor into the equation so.....who knows? March snowstorms are not uncommon, but heavy accumulation is not the norm.

Julie

o

Is everyone still surviving way up there? Jule, Sandy, & Bern?

It's fixing to get really cold here tonight. It may even get down into the low 40's. Burrrrr. Maybe a good shot of whiskey would help? No?

o

In my neck of the woods, we missed everything. It was still mostly sunny at 2 in the afternoon. Then turned cloudy with high clouds, could still see shadows of telephone pole, trees, house, etc.. By 5pm you could see the dark clouds to the Southwest and looking at the radar, we were wondering if the snow was going to come up in the Grand Rapids area. But it didn't. Not even a snowflake.

Southwest of us in a town called Berrien Springs, they got 11 inches. If I remember right, Mohammed Ali had his training camp there. I saw on at Milwaukee webcam that it was snowing pretty good. How much did you get Julie?

o

Was the snow 'floating like a butterfly'?

o

It was reported that Racine got 7".
But out here a few miles further away from the lake, we got less (my guess,) but hard to tell exactly how much since there was so much blowing and drifting. (No floating butterfly snowflakes here.)

Next will come warm temps this weekend up into the low 40's and we will have dirty slush. Yuk.

Julie

o

Nice balmy 72F down here.

Ooops! I blew out my flip-flop!

o

Bernie, looks like you're in the cold spot tonight so far, @ 7:12 PM.

I thought Texans only wore boots!

Julie

o

o

Bernie, looks like you're in the cold spot tonight so far, @ 7:12 PM.

We had clear skies the whole day and most of the night. Woke up this morning and it was 20* with some clouds.

Should be getting some rain around supper time. Right now they show rain coming across the Lake but there is too much dry air here. We might get an inch of rain tonight and into tomorrow.

Finally saw a Horned Lark. They are usually here in mid-February but may have gotten confused with the weather systems on the East coast.

I thought that my "Mickey Mouse Boots" looked ugly but those "cowboy sandals" look uglier.

o

Ugly? I've got women chasing me down when I'm on the beach. Of course it may be my hairy legs they like instead of the boots.

Looks like Bern, you and Jule may be getting some rain soon, and hopefully me too.

I never noticed that it's only a stones throw across the lake from Racine to Grand Rapids...a little farther from Sturtevant to Belmont.

Kt

o

I just stepped outside and the cement is wet and it is spitin' & sputterin'. Probably could stay out there for an hour and not really get wet. Looks like the rain in your area is west of Austin.

I never noticed that it's only a stones throw across the lake from Racine to Grand Rapids...a little farther from Sturtevant to Belmont.

As near as I can figure out, we are 121 miles apart as the crow flies and probably 450 miles by auto.

I noticed today on google earth, north of Smithsville, you can see "Luecke" from 50 miles above the earth. Must be a bigger farm there. It was ingenious how they did there name by clearing the land and leaving their name.

Also, why are some of the roads called "Farm to Market" such as Farm to Market 511 and Farm to Market 513.

Take care, Bernie.

o

Unbelievable flip flop boots.
You Texans will do anything for attention, won't you!
Might be O.K. on the beach, but no good walking through tall vegetation where those snakes can attack those cute toes.

Yes, we'll get rain tomorrow, as much a .7" according to the weatherman, some fog too. Strange March. Hoping the weather soon gets windy, drying out the landscape, so we northerners can get out and break this cabin fever spell!

Julie

o

Yes, the 'Luecke' name was left and it is trees and brush that are spelling out the name. Not sure why they did this since they don't sell anything directly to the public, such as being a tree farm. I've been in that area before since I travel to Bastop a lot, but no one seems to know why they did it.

Only 121 miles, hmmmm, I always thought y'all were farther apart...like I said, just a stones throw.

Farm to Market? Y'all don't have them up there? They were roads used to bring farm goods to market back in the day. Many must have been built over cow trails since they are usually very curvy. They were the major roads at the time of their heavy use, and were the only paved roads in the area.

Jule, 7"? We only got about 0.2" early this morning, but we could sure use 7 inches since it's been years since we have gotten more than 2" at one time. Hopefully you won't get any stormy weather with it.

Kt

o

No, not 7", Tex.
Look closer.
There's a decimal point in front of the 7.
And I see I forgot the "s" after the a, just before the decimal point.
Should read ...as much as .7"...
I tried to make the decimal point bold...did it work?

I think it would be fastest driving by auto from my place to Bernie's. The Lake Express Ferry only goes the equivalent of 30 mph, and taking a plane would involve all that waiting at the airport and going through searches/scans, etc. (which I've not had that experience yet.)

Extremely foggy here right now. Rain is coming later...

Julie

o

Decimal numbers should always be written with a "0" in front of the decimal point...probably since people like me can't see.

In high school and college chemistry, you would get a wrong answer for anything starting with ".", and I guess now I see why. If I can't see it, then it might be a problem with results if I used it in a formula.

That does make better sense though. 7 inches seemed like an awful lot, but not uncommon here, in 'normal' rainfall years, which don't happen anymore. Rain is over here and the sun is popping out. I had only 0.5" here.

Get out and enjoy the day!

Kt

o

Well, maybe you were able to get out and enjoy the day, but I had no desire to. The fog never lifted, and it combined with light/medium rain showers all day. We rarely see dense fog and rain at the same time. Must be because there is no wind. Fog, rain and 40-ish temps make for some miserable conditions for any outdoor activity.

One of DH's former hired help guys was T-boned this morning, causing his vehicle to roll over. Someone blew a stop sign. I haven't heard the whole story, but no one was seriously hurt. People think they can still drive the speed limit or over, not remembering they can't see stop signs until they're on top of them.

I doubt if we even got our 0.7" (better?) of rain. It's hard to tell because of all the melting snow. Kenosha has flood warnings. Nowhere for all the water to go, since the ground is still frozen in some places.

Julie

o

Good to hear the hired help wasn't hurt.

Yes, better.

Kt

o

Almost midnight and we're warmer than KT! In fact we're warmer (56F) than everybody but those Fla. folks! What's up with that?

o

I heard Al Gore was at some kind of conference in NY.

o

It's a chilly day here today. Wind at 15mph. Some (very few) snow flurries. Temp around 32.

cleaning the groves on some CD's

o

Bamboo groves? Must be tiny bamboo.

o

Should be in the 80's by the end of the week.

o

just closing this out

While I have the opportunity, I am going to try a thumbnail of a picture.

whatisit19 photo whatisit19-1.jpg

Also what are they, take a guess.

Going to try another thumbnail. I see in the code that they have "beta" in the code. I am going to take beta out of the code and see what happens.

photo whatisit17_zpscdbd7426.png

No thumbnail just a small picture. non clickable

this is an Imageshack picture. I don't know if it is a thumbnail or not.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This post was edited by always-beezee on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 12:28

o
RE: Weather XVhjii

just closing this out part 2

I found the thumbnail link for IS. Trying another picture.

I didn't like the way IS handled the thumbnail. It took you to IS. Why doesn't it just make the picture bigger.

Trying an embeded link.

This post was edited by always-beezee on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 12:42

o
RE: Weather XVyou

this should do it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Test Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here