Return to the Test Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I remove grass around Jacaranda tree?

Posted by greenniko California (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 23:24

I have this beautiful mature Jacaranda tree that I want to keep, but I really want to remove the grass under/around the tree and replace with just mulch. I am thinking of having our gardener digging by hand, so the process will not kill the tree. Have anyone done something like this? Do you have any suggestion?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I remove grass around Jacaranda tree?

Are you sure that is a Jacaranda tree??

o

Yes, it is. 100% sure. We had yet another great season with beautiful lavender color flowers this summer. I'm in San Diego, and there are tons of these trees all over in the city.

o

Here, it would not be a problem to replace the grass with mulch, as long as the mulch has nothing in it that is harmful to the tree, and as long as it is not put down too thick.

Moisture would be the biggest concern. Anything that changes the soil moisture content drastically for lengthy periods could be a problem, but other than that you should have no problem unless the roots are disturbed while removing the grass which is unlikely.

Kt

o

Great! Thank you so much for your comment!

o

You're welcome.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Test Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here