Return to the Test Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Great soapstone dealer/fabricator in southeast Michigan

Posted by LynOprinka MICHIGAN (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 14:33

Hi everyone, I have been lurking on the kitchens blog for the last 6 months while I have been doing my kitchen renovation. This site, and all the collective wisdom of the people on it, has been invaluable to me.

I wanted to pass on some info about finding soapstone in Michigan that might be useful to others. I almost gave up on the soapstone because it was so hard to find someone that I felt confident in, and who seemed to actually know what they we talking about. I'm glad I persevered because its one of the favorite parts of my kitchen.

I used Becky Beasley at Expo Kitchen and Bath in Ann Arbor for the kitchen design and then I looked everywhere to find soapstone. I ordered samples for Alberene, m tex and dorado, but I didn't want to pick a slab I couldn't see in person. As per everyone else's experience, I seemed to know more than all the local dealers about soapstone . Finally I asked Becky (I don't know why I didn't start there), and she recommended Del Young at Dexter Cabinet and Countertops for the soapstone. He had just done her co-owners kitchen in soapstone and she was raving about it. I went to the Dexter Cabinet shop and he looked at my kitchen design, gave me an estimate, and sent me to Dwyer Marble in Farmington to pick out the soapstone. ( They only had 2 varieties and they were called "soapstone". They didn't know anything about the quarry it came from, or its hardness rating, but we liked the slab so we took a leap of faith) Then the stone was sent to Blasius to fabricate and install.

After reading all the stories here I was worried how it would turn out, but I just couldn't bring myself to go with granite. So I am thrilled at how it all worked out.

First off, the stone looked blueish gray at the stone warehouse and I wanted charcoal/black. We had seen it a month ago and passed it over, but they got a new shipment right when we went the second time and the veining was beautiful so we went with it. Once it was installed and oilied it its stayed very dark ever since. We've been using the counters for a week now.

I have no problems with persistent water rings or dings of any sort. There is water if you set a glass down that has condensation, but whenever I finally dry it up and wipe it down with my little "oil washcloth" it looks as good as new. I can't believe its been so trouble free.

I just wanted to encourage anyone who is considering soapstone to persevere. Its worth the trouble. Everyone who sees the kitchen wants to know what the counters are and where to gets them.

Thanks again to all of you, and I'll post final pictures when I get the backsplash in.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Great soapstone dealer/fabricator in southeast Michigan

Spammer diving down
and down.

o

Where's sushipup?

o

Sushipup is probably eating a Spam sandwich.

o

Spam, yuck, OP is dumb enough to post here instead of elsewhere, she's living in her own fantasy. But the countertop is pretty, I'll admit.

o

It sure is.

o
this one is worse

It's more acceptable than the guy with the foot fetish who has resurrected every single thread about "shoes on/off etiquette" (Buying/selling homes forum and Entertaining forum), some from more than 10 years ago, to post about his feet. Really creepy and strange.

o

LOL! Haven't seen that one.

o

Apparently The Powers that Be didn't like it either and zapped all the posts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Test Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here