Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
craziekaren

Topsy turvy--Upside down planters

craziekaren
15 years ago

Hi,

We have a couple friends who have great results from those things. I tried it last year, but didn't know not to add fertilizer, so killed the plants. I'm going to do it again this year, and as usual am going to live up to my name (bestowed on my by my sons).

I'm wondering if anyone else does this, and if anyone has tried having a root crop growing out the top. I'd like to try peppers and tomatoes in the bottom, and carrots, radishes, potatoes in the top.

From what I understand about tomatoes and potatoes being non-compatible, it's because of soil bugs or somehting like that? If that's the problem, if I change the soil every year, or use a non-soil mix, it shouldn't be a problem? Burpee used to graft potatoe-tomatoe plants, maybe they still do?

Thanks

Karen

Comments (13)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

Think about it. Where is a root crop (or any other kind of plant) going to find the room to develop and prosper in a small container filled with tomato roots?

• wiley0
    15 years ago

crazie, go for it.

If you are using a five gallon bucket, there oughta be enough soil.

I saw topsy turvey ads on tv and they have a smaller container for the roots. Maybe they use treated soil with additives.

I can visualize strawberries hanging over the edge of the buckets, I think I will give that a try.

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    15 years ago

I am trying it this year with the ever-available hanging black wire form and moss liner. My neighbor said she did it last year on her porch and there was more than her family could eat ( tomatoes)

• truthseeking1
    15 years ago

We tried Topsy turvy. Bad results. Instructions say water them all you want and that it is impossible to water them too much. We wound up with a rotted plant.

• jordan_californicus
    15 years ago

I don't even bother with the Topsy-turvey pots because I'd rather grow tomatoes in a upright container, not worry about gravity save for some support for the plant, and know that the plants roots are well watered and cool when they need to be. Also, those upside down containers don't seem nearly big enough for the larger plant varieties, let alone that anything bigger than a cherry tomato seems to pull to much on the plant.

Also, something to note: the infomercial for these things? Pay close CLOSE attention: the plant you see throughout the entire thing, is the SAME PLANT. Different locations, different actors, SAME PLANT. The cluster of 4 tomatoes in front doesn't change. So apparently this thing doesn't work enough to give them more than one sample. That they probably pumped with Nitrogen and super-glued plastic fruit to.

• oppalm
    15 years ago

I tried it and my tomato plant kept wanting to grow up towards the sun. Like most everything else, its a great idea, but in real life, falls short of the hype.

• Betty Levar
    14 years ago

I tried it also and found that it wanted to grow upwards. I found it difficult to water. It had to be up high enough and I needed to get a small ladder out every day to water it. Took it down when the tomatoes were just starting to form. The whole area was roots and dried out quickly. More trouble than it was worth.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

Roots are always going to be positively geotropic, while the above parts are negatively geotropic. I've never been able to figure out why this thing was invented, in the first place, lol.

• gd1953
    14 years ago

I actually had pretty good results with mine..but I did plant cherry tomatoes in them..I'm going to use them again this year and also try maybe cucumbers...As to the issue with fertilizers: use a Miracle-Gro potting soil...I always thought it was too expensive..just use the Miracle-Gro fertilizer, until I planted one Tomato plant in regular potting soil with fertilizer added...and the other with the Miracle-Gro potting soil...you would not believe the difference in these two plants...FANTASTIC !!! That's what I am going to use this year in my topsy turvys ...Good luck everyone...

• nancylouise5me
    14 years ago

Tried the topsy turvy last year. Not the best way to grow tomatoes. We got healthier and more tomatoes doing it the old fashioned way, in the ground growing upright. I'd pass on this idea.

• briergardener_gw
    14 years ago

I have not tried topsy turvy but i tried to grow tomato in a bucket upside down. Worked OK, i did not get a lot of tomatoes, bush tried to grow up and was not very convinient to water.
    I read that people in some area where they have a lot of wild life invented this method. It can work for those who don't have place to have a regular bed or even to put container, then it's better than nothing.
    But i would never waste money for these planter when if needed we can use bucket.

• gnewdog
    11 years ago

I realize this is a ~3 year old thread, but thought I'd add some of my experiences with the topsy-turvy.

I should point out that this is my first time to try topsy-turvy. Don't think I'll use them again. I had 8 of them with several different tomato varieties. 3 of the plants completely broke off at the stem. Of the 5 that are left, 2 are doing pretty well, 2 are doing mediocre, and one is appears almost dead. I'd say a 25% success rate is lousy considering I take immaculate care of them.

Some specific problems:
    1. The marketing makes it sound like using these are so simple. I disagree. The lids are a royal pain with how they fit with the hanging wires. And, the soil washes through the planter over time and when you have to add more soil, it takes a big effort to get them down and refill without harming the existing plant.
    2. Tomatoes are phototropic (I think that's the right term). The plants want to grow up toward the sun, and they grow up and bunch up around the bottom of the planter. As the vine gets heavier, it puts more stress on the vine and main stem as they start bending down from the weight.
    3. Probably most importantly, the slit where the stem comes out of the planter really seems to take a toll on the stem.
    3a. The water runs down out of the planter slowly and tends to collect on the stem causing noticeable rot and mold issues. The stem tends to be shaded right up under the planter and doesn't dry well.
    3b. The weight of the soil seems to cause the foam slit to push in around the stem. As I stated above, I've had 3 completely break off at the stem. On a couple of the others, you can clearly tell the stem development has been pinched by the foam.

I put 4 other plants in the ground and so far so good. Staking and caging is MUCH easier than dealing with the topsy-turvy.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Best of luck,
    Greg

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I too failed to grow tomatoes upside-down in mine, but it's paid for and hanging there for the past 5-6 years so I've used it. First, get rid of the "lid." Why would one want to divert precious rain water?

Depending on exposure, sun or shade, fill the top with trailing stuff, upright stuff, vines, as much as you can cram in, as well as whatever you can manage to insert in the bottom, if anything. If all goes well, you'll soon have a lovely clump/ball of something, hiding this hideous thing.