Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnshadylady_gw

WANTED: Knoxville Plant Swap

TnShadyLady
18 years ago

I hosted a plant swap at my house a couple of years and ago, and we all had a wonderful day. I would love to have another swap - - be it large or small and I am looking at either May 20 or 27 as possible dates. By late May, most folks have prepared their beds and gotten all the "have to" work done. And many of us will have a few extra plants left over and still can make room for something new. But most of all, I just enjoy getting a chance to meet fellow gardeners!

However at that time of year, many folks will have other events that may provide a conflict. The Mid-Tn Swap is May 20, and other folks may have graduation activites on May 27.

In order for me to get a better idea of which date would work the best for anyone that is interested in coming, please let me know what date(s) are the best for you! My home is about 2 1/2 miles from I-75 in North Knoxville(easy to find).

I'd love to have you join us for meeting and greeting, swapping plants and a picnic lunch.

Cheryl TnShadyLady - - known as "Nat" to most of my gardening friends

Comments (17)

• mari5us
    18 years ago

Cheryl,
    I'd love to come up to your get together. I have to vote on the 27th though because I'll be down on the river on the 20th at the Mid-Tn Swap. The picnic lunch sounds great-I'll be glad to bring anything you want me to. It will just have to be able to travel as I'll be coming from White House up I-40.Thank you for offering to host a get together!
    Marianne

• TnShadyLady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Great Marianne! Once I hear from more people, then we'll set a date.

• krikit
    18 years ago

I would be very interested in coming to the swap, and either date works fine with me. Unfortunately, I've not been able to attend any of the previous swaps - so this is very exciting!! I'll be looking forward to hearing more about it :-)

• TnShadyLady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Super! :-)

• tortoisekeeper
    18 years ago

May 27th or later would be better for me.

Betty

• sondra_tn
    18 years ago

I am open too...as I have never been to a meet. Now is this one different form the other East TN meet? I am getting confused!! LOL Just let me know the date/ time and what to bring...:))
    Sondra

• TnShadyLady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sondra, this spring there will be 2 swaps in the Knoxville/East Tn. Area. You are welcome to attend either or both!

The Knoxville Swap is located in North Knoxville on either May 20 or 27 (will set final date soon). I am hosting this swap, with the help of Brandon, MadMouser, and Amazondoc. We have a website where you can sign up for email updates as well as for the information posted here.

The East Tn. Mountain Madness Swap is May 6 in Seymour and is hosted by Smoky Mist. Please check with her for updates!

If you have never attended a swap before, you are in for a real treat!

Here is a link that might be useful: Knoxville Plant Swap

• sondra_tn
    18 years ago

Thank you Cheryl....thanks for the link too!! ;)

• devidigs
    18 years ago

Hello there, Cheryl.

Ever the eternal neophyte and student of life who loves to garden, I'd love to attend and associate with you and your buds for this spring time plant swap. Either of those dates is fine with me.

Bliss and blessings,
    Devi (sounds just like Davie)

• TnShadyLady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

In response to the majority of the folks that have posted or contacted me, I am now setting the official swap date as May 27th!!

• sondra_tn
    18 years ago

Woohoo...can't wait ( rubbing my green thumbs together) LOL

• DARLENE_TN
    18 years ago

Oh I am sooo excited can't wait Cheryl!!!Now lets post what we'l be bringing so maybe some pre-arranged swaps can be made.
    I will be bringing.....myself & hubby!
    Brug cuttings - various
    Canna rhizomes- various
    Yucca plants
    Lenton rose plants
    Varrigated Ivy cuttings (by request only) They are indoor or outdoor and very hardy growing outside now! You can see pics on my page.
    some plant containers (the kind plants come in at stores)
    I guess thats about it
    May can't get here quick enough for me!!
    Happy gardenong all & many blooms too!
    Darlene

P.S. Has a time been set yet?

• TnShadyLady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

May 27th is the official date. Directions and other information will be updated soon on the swap site.

I agree - - - spring can't get here quick enough for me!

I have lots of things that I plan to start from seed, plus a bunch of cuttings that I have been babying over the winter. A little closer to swap time, I'll post a listing of what I'll have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Knoxville Plant Swap Site

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    18 years ago

The site is complete with a map now! Cheryl, are you ready for 100 cars parked in your driveway. (-:

• TnShadyLady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL Brandon! That MIGHT be a tad more than I could fit in my driveway.

But I think we can accommodate 20-30 cars easily. I am planning on designating an unloading zone with a couple of garden wagons available to use. I have two driveways, plus my neighbors will be fine with us parking in front of their homes. We might need to recruit a couple of folks to assist folks with unloading and directing them to the best area to park. I believe that everyone can find a parking space within my block and we will try to have things organized to make it easy for everyone.

I am starting to get really excited!!!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    18 years ago

Hey Cheryl, did you read my description of this even on the discussion board. (-;

"...This WORLD CLASS EVENT will be held May 27th at TnShadyLady's extensive Botanical Garden! Wow what a treat: free plants, great food, a chance to make new friends and meet fellow gardeners, plants that you have never even heard of before, etc. etc.

If you can only make it to one swap, this is THE SWAP TO COME TO!!! Sure the others will be great, and I highly recommend them as a second choice!

For more info on THE plant swap, see the link below."

I figured I better get B.O.V. straightened out. I think everything I said is pretty much accurate isn't it?

Here is a link that might be useful: East Tennessee / Knoxville Plant Swap Website

• TnShadyLady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow, Brandon! You've raised the bar so high that I simply MUST purchase some more plants for the Botanical Garden. Hehe!

With the interest that has been expressed so far, I am expecting a good turn out. We have several folks from the Nashville, Cookeville, Crossville, Asheville(NC) and even a friend from Georgia that will be coming as well as many of the local area gardeners. We have a good mixture of experienced and newbie gardeners, with a wide range of interests - tropicals, trees, native perennials, herbs, etc.

A couple of the folks coming have relocated to Tennessee recently due to the devastation left by last year's hurricanes. This will give us a chance to help them get started with their new gardens!

This is a "come as you are, sit a spell, make new gardening friends, go home with a ton of plants, leave with a smile and look forward to your next swap" event.

(~: Cheryl "Nat"

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES